Guitar Beginner - Open E string buzz

Marjorie1967

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I bought my first Taylor guitar less than 2 month ago (It's a gs mini e walnut.)
I have a problem that is very disturbing right now, the E string (big chord) is buzzing when playing without touching the fretboard.
And this buzzing sound will depends on the position/inclination of the guitar. If the guitar is on its stand or on its back, it's not buzzing.

The buzzing sound is when playing the E (open) but also when playing this string while touching the 11th, 12th, and 13th frets.

I am a beginner but I think this sound was always there but it was very light almost not audible and when playing fast on this string. But now, it's just terrible !
The guitar needs to be tuned more often also.

I didn't change the strings yet and nothing happened to the guitar. It's on its stand when I am not playing it.
I Play 1 to 2 hours a day.
I have other instruments for several years in the same room including a celtic harp and ukuleles and it has no problem.

Can you please tell me what to do ?
I bought the guitar on woodbrass website (France). I don't know if the Taylor warranty will work for this.

Thank you in advance,

Hello from Philadelphia!

Congrats on your first Taylor! I have a Taylor GS Mini (Spruce model) -- truly a joy to play. I love this little guy.

Buzzing strings are tricky and a pain, but fixable. Since it's only one string, my first thought is to replace the E string and see if that takes the buzz away.

If that doesn't work, since it is so new (and always had a buzz), I'd see if you can do an exchange through the website (I can be impatient at times).

Taylor has some trouble shooting on their website (https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/repair/fixing-string-buzz):

Things to check when you hear string buzz.
Any time you have a problem that is isolated to one string on the guitar, start by replacing the individual string. You don't necessarily have to replace them all if they're in good shape. A string can get worn or it can occasionally be bad right out of the pack. There may be a kink or a loose section of wraps on the core that you can't see, but can cause a buzzing or intonation issue.

If all your strings are buzzing, there are few things you'll want to check.

Have you changed strings recently? If the strings have been used more than a few times, try a fresh pack and see if that alleviates the problem.
Truss rod adjustments: Taking all the strings off at once allows the neck to relax. Restringing doesn't always bring the neck back to exactly where it was. If this is the case, a simple truss rod adjustment will fix it.
Did you change strings, switch to a different string gauge or tuning? Any of these can change the amount of tension on the neck, making it backbow and cause buzzing. If this is the case, a simple truss rod adjustment will fix it. See our article on adjusting the truss rod.
If the truss rod is adjusted properly and there's still significant string buzz, the guitar may be getting dry, reacting to a lack of humidity. Review our articles related to low humidity.
Lastly, it may be that your guitar is in need of service. It may be time to have the frets dressed or replaced, which usually means it's time to have the nut and saddle replaced too.

Taylor has a warranty policy and I do believe it covers these sorts of issues for the first 2 years to the original owner. I believe they have "authorized" shops with both dealers and repair technicians that can (locally) do the repair work.

Contact info:
Europe
+31 (0) 20 667 6033

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (CET)

And a link to Taylor's Warranty info for Europe: https://www.taylorguitars.com/legal/warranty-europe

Good luck with everything -- I hope your buzzing gets resolved quickly!

Thank you thaidye39 !

I ordered some new strings today (exactly the same). I didn't change them since I bought it end of June.
I play 1 to 2 hours per day. Didn't change anything on the taylor.
Some people might thing it's a set up problem ?

I sent an email to Taylor yesterday. I am waiting for their answer.

Sure, it could be a set-up issue. I'd try to change just the buzzing E string, first, though. It could be a kink in the string.

Have you tried to contact the website you bought it from to see if they'll do an exchange?

Thank you thaidye39 !

I ordered some new strings today (exactly the same). I didn't change them since I bought it end of June.
I play 1 to 2 hours per day. Didn't change anything on the taylor.
Some people might thing it's a set up problem ?

I sent an email to Taylor yesterday. I am waiting for their answer.

Possibly a different gauge of string, a single string just for the low E might be in order rather than spend to replace the whole set. You can buy single strings for just a few $ in most shops. I dont know what gauge strings are on there but if your low E string is an 0.047" you can try like an 0.042" and/or alternately an 0.052" single string. It may take a few tries of swapping out the string to find the right one that does not buzz.

The thinner string will have lower tension and the fatter string will have more tension, and both ways will slightly change the tone, intonation and sustain.

Also, the wood in that specific guitar, regardless of other instruments in the same room, might react differently to changes in temp and humidity than the other instruments, and sometimes, you can simply adjust the truss rod, which changes the neck and this might be enough to get rid of the buzz without having to even do a string change.

Most all new guitars and ukes that I've seen recently come with a specially sized hex wrench that is used to adjust the truss rod, but before you use the truss rod, you should look on Taylor's web site for instructions.

If you have lost the truss rod, you can usually get another for a few $ at a hardware store, but you have to know the diameter (from Taylor's web site) and if it is imperial or metric sized...

If none of the above are a fix, it could be a raised fret, which unless you yourself have the skills and tools, will require a luthier (for fret leveling and re-crowning), and before going that far, I'd see if Taylor can do anything for you as per warranty support. Maybe they have a service center where you can take it in for a full setup and not have to pay anything since the guitar is still so new?

Also, have you kept the guitar with a humidifier in it's case? If you room is less than 45% relative humidity, it can cause damage to wood instruments. It might also be useful to get a humidifier soon. Not sure where you are located, but the OUTSIDE humidity on the tv weather report is NOT the same as the humidity inside a closed up house and if running the heat or fireplace in the winter, usually causes the inside humidity to fall below 20% here in NJ USA. This requires both a room humidifier, as well as a humidifier INSIDE the case of each instrument during the winter in my home.

Thank you !
I am going to see if I can get a single E string today (I am not sure, lots of music shops are close in august and I only have 2 small music shops nearby).
I will not touch the truss rod. I don't trust myself with that but I want to learn and may buy an old guitar to set it up.

I don't know about humidity. This room is the best on in the house but in case I order an hydrometer with the strings ! (mine id broken). It used to be 55% or 60% but I have to check it ! The climate is pretty smooth here, we have 4 real seasons. Not too hot during summer and not to cold during winter :-D

Do you think it's best to let the instrument in its own case? My guitar, ukulele, banjolele, mandolin, are on a stand

Sure, it could be a set-up issue. I'd try to change just the buzzing E string, first, though. It could be a kink in the string.

Have you tried to contact the website you bought it from to see if they'll do an exchange?

It was bought on a website and in France, most big shops don't have a high customer satisfaction value...

I am still waiting to hear from Taylor and to change the E string. When it will be done, and if the problem is still there, I may contact the website for the warranty.

Hey there. Just checking in to see how everything turned out. Were you able to get your Taylor to stop buzzing?

Probably the most common solution for string 'buzzing' is adjusting the truss rod slightly, to increase the action by a tiny bit. That should fix it, unless it's a faulty E-string in particular, as others have already suggested.

Top Bottom