Beach ukulele

Well, the nice thing about wood is that it doesn't rust.
Any kind of grease smeared on the tuners is going to just attract sand and grind it into the gears. But when my tuners finally give it up, I'll will go with sealed tuners instead of the open ones. But honestly, in a beach environment, all you can do is slow it down a little. Sooner or later the salt eats everything. I mean, you just have to understand that a beach uke is not going to live forever. That's why they sell new ones.

Rolli, as usual, you've made some good points.

I know it's kind of ridiculous, at least for looks, but do you think that putting a ziplock or other sandwich bag over the entire headstock, with a rubber-band holding tight down by the nut will make a difference?

or is that only going to matter for exposure to water, and the salt in the air will still get to the metal and corrode it anyway?

Ok what part of no laminates didn't you all understand lol the beach isn't the only place I'll be taking it.

....I need a ukulele to take places like the beach

So here's the question....you have $500 to spend on a tenor uke, what are you buying?

Just a couple of things that are preferences....gloss finish, slotted headstock, and not a fan of Mahogany....none of these are deal breakers.

No laminates that's a deal breaker.

The above seems clear enough to me. That you might want to take it other places too, (aside from places like the beach) doesn't come across to me, sorry.

The thread is titled 'Beach Uke' too ...... maybe it's just me, sorry, but I find it kind of easy to not pick up on your wish to be able to use it in some other places too. Perhaps the budget and build spec implied other use but it didn't state it.

Last edited:
Okey Dokey......got it.......$500 solid wood uke for beach & other places. I own an Islander tenor that I like. It's a slot head, but not gloss, solid spruce top & flame maple back and sides. The ebony arm bevel is a nice feature. Islander currently carries a solid acacia slot head, but it's over your price range at $640. http://www.islanderukulele.com/Custom/ShopProduct?id=19

How about a Kala KA-ATP-CTG - https://www.theukulelesite.com/kala...top-tenor-slothead-gloss-finish.html?___SID=U It's got a solid cedar top/acacia back & sides, gloss, slot head. I've seen it recommended a lot. Not all solid wood, but a solid top. You could have HMS add a pick-up. Definitely within your budget.

Pono solid acacia - Lots of people like Pono. Gloss, but not slot head. Again, you could have HMS add the pick-up. Right at your price point. https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/size/tenor/pono-atd-acaciagloss-tenor.html

Let the opinions begin....I need a ukulele to take places like the beach where I'd never take my Beau Hannam custom uke. So here's the question....you have $500 to spend on a tenor uke, what are you buying? Just a couple of things that are preferences....gloss finish, slotted headstock, and not a fan of Mahogany....none of these are deal breakers. No laminates that's a deal breaker. Let the suggestions begin. Electronics would be nice but not necessary as I will be playing it outside mostly anyway.

If by by "laminates" you mean some form of plywood, this HPL ukulele might be the ideal beach ukulele for you. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?121962-Enya-X1-ukulele

Ok what part of no laminates didn't you all understand lol the beach isn't the only place I'll be taking it.

Well then, just buy yourself a $500 wood ukulele with a slotted headstock and a gloss finish. I don't think that one $500 wood ukulele is going to weather the storm any better than another.

Last edited:
Rolli, as usual, you've made some good points.

I know it's kind of ridiculous, at least for looks, but do you think that putting a ziplock or other sandwich bag over the entire headstock, with a rubber-band holding tight down by the nut will make a difference?

or is that only going to matter for exposure to water, and the salt in the air will still get to the metal and corrode it anyway?
This.
Everything metal eventually succumbs where I live.
Pop the hood on the car, even aluminum parts like throttle bodies etc show signs of pitting.
The screen door, the grill in the back yard, hose spigots, EVERYTHING.
Even some of my indoor ukuleles in cases have some noticeable oxidation on frets and tuners, not much, but definitely noticeable. Proper care and cleaning helps a great deal, but over time, it happens.

You have been given a lot of good advice. Guitars have been taken to the beach for decades and have absorbed the various hazards with various degrees of success.

What I do find hilarious is wondering how this question would have been answered by Sam Kamaka... lol. Imagine taking a ukulele to the beach.

Truth is, if you want a pretty impervious high end sounding ukulele, just buck up and buy a Blackbird. You may want to swap out the UPT's with stainless open Waverly's. You then may be able to just hose it off when needed.

I am blessed with still being able to surf so I spend a great deal of time at the beach. Even with UPT's I have no problem taking a Blackbird to the beach.

The poor man's alternative is a Outdoor Carbon Ukulele.

Or, just buy a Kamaka and play it where it was designed to be played.

John

For myself, I'd definitely choose the Outdoor Ukulele. However, since you're not wanting that but do want something durable, I'd suggest the new Klos Carbon Fiber uke currently on Indiegogo. The "Super Early Bird" price is$419 & they will be $549 retail. I think the sound is great with a beautiful resonance. There are lots of videos on Klos's YouTube channel including several showing it's durability. Probably one of the most durable ukes that isn't a laminate or polycarbonate and has a more "wood like" resonance due to Klos's design. There Klos guitar was very well received with lots of positive reviews on the quality and sound. You might want to check it out.

I had seen the Klos site, but didn't know anything about the instrument or mfg. For that amount it is definitely something to consider. It is definitely an excellent price point.

John

I decided to buy a KLOS. It is now $439 with $29 shipping. The MSRP is supposed to be $545, but I can see that climbing some once things get going. The OP may not be interested in a sub-$500 carbon fiber ukulele, but I am. The Jake video pretty much sealed the deal. It does have some wood to no playing in the lineup... lol!

lifereinspired , thanks for the heads up!

John

I see the Waterman suggested a number of times. I have had three Waterman ukuleles, and I won all three in raffles. I've given all three away. I don't know anything about Outdoor ukuleles, so I won't speak to those, but when I go to the beach, camping, bicycling, or any outdoor activity like that, it is generally with other people, or somewhere I might attract the attention of other people, and we like to sit around singing songs. And I do a good deal of that kind of playing. I like to have a ukulele that sounds half way decent, that has some volume, and I need all the help that I can get. I want a nice ukulele, not a Waterman. And it isn't just the Waterman that I wouldn't take to the beach, it is any ukulele that I wouldn't play somewhere else. The beach or around the campfire is not a place where I want to sit in the sand just making sound. I want something that plays nice and that other people can enjoy too. So I'm just saying here, that when considering what ukulele to get to take to the beach, that one might also consider taking a bit of risk in order to have an enjoyable experience. And one doesn't need to spend a lot of money on a ukulele to do that, but it is worth thinking about.

Last edited:
The Flight travel soprano baz just reviewed may be an option, because it sounds more like a Flea than a true plastic uke. Otherwise I’d suggest a Flea or Fluke with the friction tuners. No moving parts to get gummed up by sand or the salt air. If those aren’t for you, then I suppose it’s a matter of choosing other tradeoffs: durability, potential for damage, volume.

I’ll jump back into this conversation. I take a uke with me on whitewater rafting & sea kayaking trips. Water, hot or cold temps, and definitely sand & dirt are always in the mix. I am usually the only instrument, and I want a uke that sounds decent and is fairly loud. I found the Waterman lacking in both of those things. I also had an HPL Bonanza that sounded good but was pretty quiet. It also failed my other requirement of lighter weight & packability inside my sea kayak. I currently use an Islander AS-4 soprano (inexpensive laminate) as my outdoor uke. It passes all the tests on sound, playability, weight, and size. It could be louder but it’s no where near as quiet as the Bonanza was. Now I’m trying to convince myself to invest in a concert Flea. Concert scale I prefer, durable, maybe louder? Not sure if I really need something other than my Islander. I’m trying to “test drive” a friend’s Flea to see if I like it that much more?

Last edited:
My Outdoor Uke has served me well here the humidity of Virginia summers. A Blackbird Clara or Farallon is definitely activating my UAS.

"What I do find hilarious is wondering how this question would have been answered by Sam Kamaka... lol. Imagine taking a ukulele to the beach"

Yep, who would do a that?
Cheers,
R

When we go to the beach in the Pacific Northwest, there's not much/any chance swimming will be involved. But unless a person actually wants to swim with a ukulele, I think there are plenty of options for a durable uke that sound much better than an Outdoor or Waterman, etc., while costing much less than one made from carbon fiber or ekoa. My car/camping/bonfire/picnic/river/lake/beach uke is a Mahilele/Flight Travel soprano, similar to a Flea, but costing far less.

I have yet to try an all-plastic uke that I enjoy playing or listening to. I'd rather take my chances with a cheap laminate.

Top Bottom