The Dm6 chord

Jarmo_S

Reaction score
In my country we have a lots moll songs, Dm6 is often in song chords.

Now I can't get the 2212 chord without some thumb to put under neck, that is changing the usual left hand uke hold. It it is quite difficult.

Easier and ok is 4210, also the same Dm6 chord.

But what I have found sometimes very useful is omitting the fifth note and play x212. So it is like G7 with muting the G-string with my thumb. It works when say the chord changes from Dm to Dm6 as a fleeting to give that 6th effect.

Last edited:
When I play 2212, I find that I move my fingers as far away from the fret as I can to give myself to get more room to get that pinky in the right place. That Dm7 is used more frequently in the music that I play (the traditional ii7-V-I progression).

Since that Dm7 is such an important chord in the Key of C, it might be good to practice that chord (2213) then the Dm6 (2212).

I play both Dm6(2212) and Dm7(2213) with a short barre on the low strings G and C using my middle finger to fret both at the second fret. Index finger then on the E string at the first fret. Ring finger on A string either at second or third fret, depending on if it is the Dm6 or Dm7 I am aiming to sound.

This is much, much easier for me than trying to use four fingers, but as with most things YMMV. Give it a try and see if you like it.

Last edited:
Really hard for me try such a knuckle bend MopMan.

Anyways Dm7 is a much easier chord, also often used by me fingered normally with 4 fingers.

But there is also a substition chord for that! One that might actually work even more effective than the full chord in many cases. Omitting the root you get the "Hawaian" Dm7: 2010

Edit:
Well come to think of it, it is actually an F chord, but used in right place it can act like Dm7. I maybe went a bit overboard naming it Hawaian from its major domina 7th cousin 2020 :p

Last edited:
A straight bar on the 5th fret will give you a Dm6. It's the Am6 all open string chord moved up the interval of a fourth.

This is actually one of my favorite shapes. Here's what I do. I fret the A string with the ring finger. I fret the E string with the index finger. With the middle finger I fret both the G and C strings.

This is actually one of my favorite shapes. Here's what I do. I fret the A string with the ring finger. I fret the E string with the index finger. With the middle finger I fret both the G and C strings.

I think that is the same fingering as MopMan suggested. For me even if I could do that, i would hurt my middle finger in the long term most likely bending it backwards like that.

Must say I really don't like play 2212 with 4 fingers as I have to change position of my hand hold. On guitar this is a quite easy chord, because it has more space between frets. On my concert size ukulele I need my thumb under neck to be able to fit all 4 fingers.

4210 has exactly same notes and is easy for me. The sound is different though when index finger strumming. Might be because the 6th is on g-string instead A and higher position. It is more Dm with a hint of 6th.

For more 6th flavour I use sometimes x212 as I mentioned, since this a tricks/tip etc subforum.

Edit:
I may have complained a little too much about the difficulty. I just found out that by rotating my wrist radically towards the A-string tuner, I'm able to fit all them fingers.
Guys and girls I have only played ukulele about 3 weeks, though I'm an age long guitar player so forgive me ;)

Last edited:
Don't forget that for the price of a Dm6, you ALSO get, at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, the Bm7b5 (aka "B half-diminished seventh) chord.

BONUS CHORDS!!!!! (Or as Gerald Ross puts it "Chameleon Chords.")

Don't forget that for the price of a Dm6, you ALSO get, at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, the Bm7b5 (aka "B half-diminished seventh) chord.

Yes, the https://ukebuddy.com/chord-namer has maybe so far as I know always the right name for chords. You can't find chords like x212 with ukulele chords, but put just your notes there and the right chord name is found.

And a rootless G9

The 4555 shape is pretty popular.

If you wanna be super crazy, you can play 7570. Your fingers are kinda in a G7-ish shape lol

Hope this helps!!

Besides the x212 that I have found useful and mentioned in the first post, its is of course a thumb mute.

It is also quite easy to play 2212 with the thumb actually fretting the g-string.

Besides the x212 that I have found useful and mentioned in the first post, its is of course a thumb mute.

It is also quite easy to play 2212 with the thumb actually fretting the g-string.

If you have hands that move that way.

I can't put a thumb anywhere on the fretboard if I have any other fingers there. My hand and arm don't move that way, and I've got short stubby fingers.

I think 5757 works, but I don't know the note names, just how it sounds. And it depends on what the other chords I'm playing around it are...

-Kurt​

If you have hands that move that way.

I can't put a thumb anywhere on the fretboard if I have any other fingers there. My hand and arm don't move that way, and I've got short stubby fingers.

I think 5757 works, but I don't know the note names, just how it sounds. And it depends on what the other chords I'm playing around it are...

-Kurt​

My hand is not big either, but works for me. Though if being sloppy it might sound only x212 which is same as your 5757, only a lower version.
The notes are root, minor 3rd and the 6h with missing the 5th. As you told depends of the song (or neighbor chords) how they fit.

Top Bottom