Been offered a custom uke as a gift, what should I ask for?

Evinsask

Reaction score
A smaller Chinese ukulele manufacturer (I would rather not name them) has offered me a custom uke as compensation for some online work I did for them. Any size, any material, any style, any picture or writing, anything I want them to do is exactly what they have offered. I have two of their commercially available ukuleles already and their quality seems very very good. I am a beginner so my opinions are only that.

I am thrilled with the idea but have no idea what to ask for! Other than a zero fret and beveled armrest, and maybe a side sound hole, I am at a loss. They will give me all the time I want to plan it. This is probably a once in a lifetime thing so I would like to get it right.

If you could describe your dream uke, what would it be? I need suggestions, please!

For me, personally, I'd be getting a tenor scale with a concert sized body, solid mahogany, it's what I have found is the best fit for me. :)

You lucky devil!
You should let them know what kind of wood you'd like. And which tuners too. And since it might be a one-off, ask for a hard shell case too.
Let us know what you get. I'm very curious!

I imagine that I will ask for koa, but whether it would be real koa or acacia is a question. And if so, does it matter?? It is exciting but really kind of stressful! Like an important new project at work! I saw a uke lately with koa back and sides with a spruce top and it looked great.

I do know I want a slotted head, and maybe 18:1 tuners rather than 14:1.

I had no idea they were going to offer this custom uke, I would have been satisfied with an off-the-rack one of their better models. ;)

Well its what you want. Not me. Having said that.............

I wouldn't be requesting 18:1 tuners on a nylon/classic string instrument. 18:1 is great for steel strings but I can't see the point with classic strings. I don't even know if they're available in slotted headstock tuners. If it was me I would be asking them to use the most stable and best cut timber they have rather than the prettiest but that's just me.

hmmmm, off the top of my head I would say:

redwood soundboard, body made of something interesting like milo or kula
long neck tenor size
nice binding and purfling
grover tuners
fancy headstock (curly end, all pegs on one side, some decoration, no scarf joint)
fret markers that are special

ask me tomorrow and I'll say something different

There is nothing listed above that I would disagree with. Perhaps you could request Gotoh UPT tuners instead of geared tuners. If they can get real Koa...then perhaps all Koa. If not, a spruce or cedar top, Acacia body? Slotted headstock, perhaps your signature engraved on the headstock, strap buttons, 35 mm nut, bone nut or saddle or nubone nut and saddle. Electronics? Mi-si? Custom binding plus perfling? A cool rosette? Radius fretboard?

The possibilities are endless!

hmmmm, off the top of my head I would say:

redwood soundboard, body made of something interesting like milo or kula
long neck tenor size
nice binding and purfling
grover tuners
fancy headstock (curly end, all pegs on one side, some decoration, no scarf joint)
fret markers that are special

ask me tomorrow and I'll say something different

I don't want to start a flame war with ripock, but, I wouldn't ask for a Redwood top. Redwood sounds great, yes, but Its PAINFUL to work with. If you want a GREAT ukulele and not an experiment gone wrong you need to keep the requests within the builders comfort zone.

Give them the chance to do something out of the ordinary, as well as get a great uke.
There are some great Chinese ukes that have been made over the years which can get some homage. So maybe look at the base model for the company in the size you like, ask for it to be made with the best components instead of being made to fit into the lowest price range. Give the design team an opportunity to hot rod the base model the company produces with high grade materials and components.
Look at the classic woods mahogany or koa, or a traditional Chinese tone wood, solid wood, not the woods of recent fads. High grade tuners and components. Custom company logo that looks Chinese. Traditional Chinese look finish, like it was made 1000 years ago. "Made in China" clearly stamped or visible in Chinese characters. Chinese calligraphy label. Celebrating "made in China", instead of hiding it.

LOVE this idea!

Lots of choices, but Bill1's idea sets the luthiers free to choose what THEY think is the best. Choose the size you want, the nut width you want, arm bevel if you want. But leave the woods up to them. Perhaps have them present some wood options from which you will choose?

Whatever you decide, it will be wonderful! Congratulations!

I don't want to start a flame war with ripock, but, I wouldn't ask for a Redwood top. Redwood sounds great, yes, but Its PAINFUL to work with. If you want a GREAT ukulele and not an experiment gone wrong you need to keep the requests within the builders comfort zone.

okay. I will settle for sycamore (but I wouldn't be unhappy if the builder used some black and red aniline dye to make the grain pop out and to induce a slightly more rubicund complexion). Oh, and since I don't get redwood, I get a L.R. Baggs pickup as a compensatory gesture.

Ask for an inlay design on the fretboard or headstock that holds a special meaning for you, such as your favorite pet or favorite person.

This is a tough question, because the answers are wholly subjective to each of us and NOT the OP.

Last edited:
The fact that the possibilities are endless is the major problem!! 😏

Give them the chance to do something out of the ordinary, as well as get a great uke.
There are some great Chinese ukes that have been made over the years which can get some homage. So maybe look at the base model for the company in the size you like, ask for it to be made with the best components instead of being made to fit into the lowest price range. Give the design team an opportunity to hot rod the base model the company produces with high grade materials and components.
Look at the classic woods mahogany or koa, or a traditional Chinese tone wood, solid wood, not the woods of recent fads. High grade tuners and components. Custom company logo that looks Chinese. Traditional Chinese look finish, like it was made 1000 years ago. "Made in China" clearly stamped or visible in Chinese characters. Chinese calligraphy label. Celebrating "made in China", instead of hiding it.

I love this! Maybe letting their luthiers loose to do what they want is the best way to get something unique.

Congratulations on being gifted a custom ukulele. OI completely agree that you should find, and stay within, your builder's comfort zone. Your most difficult decision may be whether looks are more important than sound (foir example, some builders believe that plainer koa generally generally makes better tonewood than insanely curled koa). For what it's worth, I've heard from some people that while both rosewood and ebony make good fretboards, ebony is a little more sturdy and a little less likely to wear.

I know nothing on the subject, but if you know which uke models they produce, perhaps you should look at those for features you like. That way you know what they have experience making, and you can describe what you want with references they will understand.
Like, " I want a body shaped like xxx, with a headstock like yyy, made from zzz wood, with bindings like..."

Last edited:
WOW must be nice!

Being a beginner could make this crazy for you, because the possibilities are just endless, so many things to do and choose from.

Look it's great that people are replying and giving you options, but I hope everyone will agree that gaining experience about Ukuleles is in your best interest.

If you're not in a hurry, take the next 6 months learning, hopefully there are a lot of music stores in your area, so you can see many different brands.

Surf the internet, read all you can, various reviews, youtube videos, etc...

In as little as 6 months, you could really have a much better understanding and feel for this, to make a better decision. Because the truth is, no matter what anyone has to offer or say, it's your Uke, and it's your choices and tastes that matter, and without experience, well, you're not going to go far.

Gain experience, and you'll end up creating a better custom instrument, and the fact that you have the ability of a company doing this for you, WOW, you really owe it to yourself to start learning, so that you can take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity.

Have fun! :)

Thank you Alohakine! That's great advice. The problem, if it is one, is that I am quite satisfied with my current uke from the same outfit! I don't know what would improve it. As a beginner, I don't know what I don't know!

I am trying to learn as quickly as sensible and I think your suggestions are excellent.

Cheers.

Thank you Alohakine! That's great advice. The problem, if it is one, is that I am quite satisfied with my current uke from the same outfit! I don't know what would improve it. As a beginner, I don't know what I don't know!

I am trying to learn as quickly as sensible and I think your suggestions are excellent.

Cheers.

I hear you, time to get to knowing! :)

I think I agree about not gambling on something too on the edge or outside of the work they usually do. I don't know whether you spend any time in the Luthier's Lounge, but if you don't, there are many people there who build gorgeous ukes. I wouldn't expect to get anything like the workmanship that some of them are able to produce, but I think that if you look there, you'll see some really nice combinations of wood, and headstock inlay, rosettes, tailpieces, binding, etc. You might decide that you like the clean lines of some thing like a Koaloha that doesn't have binding or a rosette, or you might want more bling. Just to get you started, you might look at some of the threads in the Lounge (esp. the "What's happening in your shed" thread), or look at the work of these people who build really nice-looking instruments. You might get some ideas there, and a little motivation to take on another job so you can get a second uke.
http://www.brguitars.com/
http://www.beauhannamguitars.com/
http://www.blackbearukuleles.net/
http://www.rickturnerguitars.com/
http://www.kinnardukes.com/
http://lichtyguitars.com/
http://petehowlettukulele.co.uk/

Last edited:
Top Bottom