Concert Strings on a Soprano?

ohiopicker

Reaction score
Can I put a set of concert Aquilla strings on a Martin Soprano? I know there will be more to cut off, but from a thickness standpoint, will it work?

Thanks!

Somewhere on UU there is a chart about the different gauges of several string makes and lengths (uke sizes)
Once I put a set of Aquila tenor strings on my concert uke, but I didn't like them. They were noticeably thicker and the tension just didn't feel right.
Or maybe I'm nuts.

I fit Baritone Aqulia strings to tenors all the time. It works for me because I want to detune my tenors and the extra tension of the baritone strings is desirable. Concert strings will work on a soprano but you will have to find out for yourself at what tuning you like the tension and whether you like the sound or not. Many people find that the tension on soprano's at g,C,E,A is too low so it may just work for you. It should give the soprano a slightly deeper sound as well.

Concert strings work well on soprano, concert, & tenor for me. :)

(I've also used tenor strings on a soprano & a concert.)

As an aside, I have some classical guitar strings on a tenor uke, & they are working OK too. ;)

When you go up in gauge the strings become thicker. This does a few things, tone will be deeper or warmer, the tension will be higher. The volume might increase and the intonation could be off. Yes you can put concert sized strings on a soprano, whether you like the results will be up to you to decide.

As Dave says above, there will be differences. Will it harm your instrument? No. Will there be pros and cons? Probably. This means to me it's worth a try. Please give it a shot for a few weeks and post your findings. If you hate it, change back and you've conducted a very inexpensive experiment, and benefited the community with your results.

I fit Baritone Aqulia strings to tenors all the time. It works for me because I want to detune my tenors and the extra tension of the baritone strings is desirable. Concert strings will work on a soprano but you will have to find out for yourself at what tuning you like the tension and whether you like the sound or not. Many people find that the tension on soprano's at g,C,E,A is too low so it may just work for you. It should give the soprano a slightly deeper sound as well.

What tuning do you use??

If you follow the link in my signature to my help page, therein is info about strings that might be helpful to you.

Early on I bought a set of ukulele strings in a music store that said on the package, "Soparano/Concert". I believe they were GHS strings, and it was back when GHS was a naughty word.

Early on I bought a set of ukulele strings in a music store that said on the package, "Soparano/Concert". I believe they were GHS strings, and it was back when GHS was a naughty word.

When I first saw this thread that was my thought too. I know the Martin M600s are labeled "Soprano/Concert" as well. To my knowledge, many string sets are.

FYI:

- Thinner strings = more sustain = less tension = less volume = brighter tone

- Thicker strings = less sustain = more tension = more volume = warmer tone

Wow! Booli, that was GREAT!

thank you for sharing your experienced insights with us!

So useful!

keep uke'in',

Wow! Booli, that was GREAT!

thank you for sharing your experienced insights with us!

So useful!

keep uke'in',

No worries Uncle Rod. I am happy to help. :)

This info is on the page linked in my forum signature, along with other often requested info, so I do not have to retype them over again, but sometimes folks dont care to click the link and see, so I copied/pasted directly to the thread.

Top Bottom