Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concert Strings on a Soprano?

Default Concert Strings on a Soprano?

Can I put a set of concert Aquilla strings on a Martin Soprano? I know there will be more to cut off, but from a thickness standpoint, will it work?

Thanks!

If you are putting Martin strings on a ukulele, the soprano and concert strings are the same. M600. $5 on Amazon.

My guess is that Aquila is the same. The KIDS strings work on soprano, concert, and tenor.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Somewhere on UU there is a chart about the different gauges of several string makes and lengths (uke sizes)
    Once I put a set of Aquila tenor strings on my concert uke, but I didn't like them. They were noticeably thicker and the tension just didn't feel right.
    Or maybe I'm nuts.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I fit Baritone Aqulia strings to tenors all the time. It works for me because I want to detune my tenors and the extra tension of the baritone strings is desirable. Concert strings will work on a soprano but you will have to find out for yourself at what tuning you like the tension and whether you like the sound or not. Many people find that the tension on soprano's at g,C,E,A is too low so it may just work for you. It should give the soprano a slightly deeper sound as well.

Concert strings work well on soprano, concert, & tenor for me.

(I've also used tenor strings on a soprano & a concert.)

As an aside, I have some classical guitar strings on a tenor uke, & they are working OK too.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

When you go up in gauge the strings become thicker. This does a few things, tone will be deeper or warmer, the tension will be higher. The volume might increase and the intonation could be off. Yes you can put concert sized strings on a soprano, whether you like the results will be up to you to decide.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

As Dave says above, there will be differences. Will it harm your instrument? No. Will there be pros and cons? Probably. This means to me it's worth a try. Please give it a shot for a few weeks and post your findings. If you hate it, change back and you've conducted a very inexpensive experiment, and benefited the community with your results.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    I fit Baritone Aqulia strings to tenors all the time. It works for me because I want to detune my tenors and the extra tension of the baritone strings is desirable. Concert strings will work on a soprano but you will have to find out for yourself at what tuning you like the tension and whether you like the sound or not. Many people find that the tension on soprano's at g,C,E,A is too low so it may just work for you. It should give the soprano a slightly deeper sound as well.

What tuning do you use??
    Keep Strummin'

Quote Originally Posted by SailingUke View Post
    What tuning do you use??
    GCEA is the tuning to be used.

If you follow the link in my signature to my help page, therein is info about strings that might be helpful to you.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Thread Information