Custom Uke Suggestion

bigtoe

Reaction score
I've been looking into getting two nice tenor ukes, one for re-entrant tuning and one for linear.

A few days ago I pulled the trigger on this Ko'olau.
https://www.theukulelesite.com/ko-olau-cs-o-gloss-lutz-spruce-myrtlewood-custom-tenor-oahu-fiberglass.html

I'm thinking of a custom build for my second one. This would also give me a little time to build up the bank acount again.

I've been eying Iiwi's for awhlile, but have read allot of great things about Hive. After hours of listening to videos from HMS these two really stand out for me.

Unfortunately, I'm in Houston and there isn't any place locally that I know of to test them out. I was in Hawaii a couple of months ago, but didnt convince myself to buy a nice uke until after we got back. Any thoughts on thier tone or playability? Any suggestions?

the Ko'olau is a great uke....
if you want a Iiwi or a Hive pretty sure you will not see any of them at any shop in Texas you may be able to get a used Hive here
www.ukulelefriend.com

but not many Iiwi's or Hive are built every year.....
I would order a custom Ko'olau or Hive if it were me....

Thanks Hawaii 50.
I'm really leaning toward a custom Hive along with the Ko'olau.

Why not a custom Kamaka?

Kamaka does custom orders, this is from their site;

For information regarding prices and availability, or to discuss custom orders, please visit or contact us.

I think everyone with a custom uke will end up recommending their customer builder-- which is awesome, because there are so many really talented builders out there. I had my custom concert made by Dave Talsma, and it was a great experience beginning to end. I'd recommend working with him in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom