Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which of these baritone-tuned ukes do you like best ? (21" 20" 17" scales)

Default Which of these baritone-tuned ukes do you like best ? (21" 20" 17" scales)

I've got 3 ukes in standard baritone tuning. Two are baritones, one is a tenor.

Each is quite different and sounds excellent to me. Which uke's sound do you prefer? The tenor can be the quieter of the 3 when picked, but has some nice brightness to the sound. It is an excellent strummer, and an easy player. The real baritones have bit richer/broader (guitar-like) tone.

1) Pono EBSH-PC spruce/ebony, Martin FC strings. 20-inch scale
    https://app.box.com/s/65r98dgz1hwcvic0kzcsyer5fb3ktyeq

2) Talsma Honduran mahogany, Aquila Lava strings, 21 inch scale
    https://app.box.com/s/zfejm32jqbex95jmpyr2zp5slyxhecut

3) Boat Paddle ML cedar/narra, SouthCoast Heavy strings, 17-inch scale
    https://app.box.com/s/eb5ex807io66wdng0cu0p6sd1nw1vo3f

Here's a pic of the 3 together.
    2017-09-02 05.45.11 , Flickr
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Another fun one, Hodge. I really enjoyed your samples.

They all sound very nice to me. I liked the Talsma the best, even though unsurprisingly due to its all mahogany construction, I would like just a touch more in the upper registers. Still, it sounds really, really wonderful. The Pono sounds absolutely fantastic fingerpicked but something about they way it sounded strummed didn't suit my ears as well. Not sure if it's the strings or what.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Interesting comparison, thanks for bringing it.

I've been playing Bari-tenor for a while now and like a re-entrant dGBE so much that I strung my Bari hi d too. I may change that soon as I do change strings a good bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Eddie View Post
    Another fun one, Hodge. I really enjoyed your samples.

They all sound very nice to me. I liked the Talsma the best, even though unsurprisingly due to its all mahogany construction, I would like just a touch more in the upper registers. Still, it sounds really, really wonderful. The Pono sounds absolutely fantastic fingerpicked but something about they way it sounded strummed didn't suit my ears as well. Not sure if it's the strings or what.
    I agree with you Eddie, the Talsma, has the best volume, tone and warmth. Surprisingly the Talsma has smallest body. The Aquila Lava Nylguts on don't have quite the brightness or clarity of the Martin FC on the Pono. I've got Oasis GPX trebles in the mail to replace the two unwound Aquila. Hoping that will get the sound just right.
    -Hodge

I listened with my BOSE ear buds. Talsma is my favourite ! Mahogany is usually not my first choice but this one surprised me! Talsma has the deep rich guitar tone that I expect from a baritone. If this is in marketplace, that's the one I will buy out of the three!
    Last edited by SoloRule; 09-02-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Had to add a sound sample of a new arrival (just arrived yesteday), from Jake Wildwood. This is my new favorite baritone; it has the warmth, resonance, clarity, and volume. Nothing missing from its sound.

Oceana sinker redwood/mahogany baritone, built 2012 with unknown age Martin 630 strings.
    https://app.box.com/s/50l7dzmpu9heshn6oqb4b0y5qh0dsxcy

Thanks to OhioBelle for bringing this baritone to my attention.
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...oped-fretboard

2017-09-03 17.14.54
    -Hodge

The Oceana sounds great! I like it the best.
    Super Tenor
    Luis Feu de Mesquita Sinker Western Red Cedar/Myrtle

Tenor
    Mya-Moe #1976 Master Grade Koa Classic

Concert
    Kamaka Tiki Gold Label || Pohaku Koa/Maple Concert 10

Long Neck Soprano
    Asturias Spruce/Rosewood || Gerard Guasch #14 Mahogany Pineapple

Soprano
    Romero Creations XS Soprano Spruce/Koa

Sopranino
    Koaloha Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Had to add a sound sample of a new arrival (just arrived yesteday), from Jake Wildwood. This is my new favorite baritone; it has the warmth, resonance, clarity, and volume. Nothing missing from its sound.
    I agree, Hodge. That is a very lovely sounding baritone. Among the best I've heard. Congrats on a super acquisition!
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

The Oceana sounds great, my favorite by far. Great score Hodge!

Hey Hodge sorry I couldn't listen to the samples and reply sooner. But better late than never and I'm glad the Oceana was included as I just had a listen now. The Talsma and Oceana are both in that rare category of baritone that sound clear and clean. I could definitely be happy with either......or in your case both. Congratulations on jumping on the Oceana when you saw it, a great instrument for sure!!!!
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Thread Information