Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe ukulele storage and humidity

Quote Originally Posted by jisa View Post
    I share the confusion about safe ukulele humidity measures. I live in Maryland, where it gets below freezing in Winter and gets hot in the summer (so we turn on the heat in the Winter and turn on a/c in summer). My local music speciality store (sells ukuleles and high-end guitars) said that I really only needed to worry about humidity in the colder months-October through April or so, and to just use an oasis humidifier and refill it when it gets wrinkly. (No mention of a hygrometer.) Is that bad advice?

If I do need a hygrometer, is there a simple one? The ones I've seen online look somewhat confusing.
    I have a cheap hygrometer that I bought at a home and garden store that I have out and I look at it occasionally, but what you said is what I do. I mean, when I turn on the furnace, I start using my Oasis. For me it isn't any more complicated than that. I've not had any cracking, or fret lifting, or anything else.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Like the OP I live in Canada where it is cold and dry in the winter. I have a number of solid wood instruments and usually staring November they all live in their individual hardcases with an Oasis sound hole humidifier. That is all you really need to do. I have high quality reliable hygrometers to measure the humidity levels, not all are equal or reliable. I put one in a case every now and then and humidity level is usually around 45%.

Look we can all get a little too paranoid about this. If the humidity in the case is a constant 35% you are ok. It is the real low stuff below 20% and constant quick huge swings that cause the damage. I have a friend who always keeps two humidiifers in his uke and the back developed a small crack. That piece of wood was going to do that regardless. Then there are guys who leave their instruments out all the time for years and years with no problems. Just keep it in the case with a sound hole humidifer in place when not being played and you will be fine
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Like the OP I live in Canada where it is cold and dry in the winter. I have a number of solid wood instruments and usually staring November they all live in their individual hardcases with an Oasis sound hole humidifier. That is all you really need to do. I have high quality reliable hygrometers to measure the humidity levels, not all are equal or reliable. I put one in a case every now and then and humidity level is usually around 45%.

Look we can all get a little too paranoid about this. If the humidity in the case is a constant 35% you are ok. It is the real low stuff below 20% and constant quick huge swings that cause the damage. I have a friend who always keeps two humidiifers in his uke and the back developed a small crack. That piece of wood was going to do that regardless. Then there are guys who leave their instruments out all the time for years and years with no problems. Just keep it in the case with a sound hole humidifer in place when not being played and you will be fine
    I'm a born skeptic, so I often times wonder how obsessed I need to get as far as monitoring the humidity. But my Grandfather's 100 year old fiddle just flat fell apart because the glue dried up and let loose, so I do believe that eventually a lack of humidity will affect it. But regardless of my skepticism, my logic tells me that it doesn't take much to stick an Oasis in the sound hole and put it in the case when the air gets dry. Why take a chance? I certainly don't want to wake up some day with a crack across the face of my uke because I wanted to prove a point.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    No offense to Choirguy he offers good information.

]

D'addario uses their packs in a system they call the Planet Waves Two Way Humidification System.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwProduct...ication_System

I've been using these in my Uke for around 8 months, it's the greatest hassle free approach.

Don't forget this, the pouch for the sound hole is pretty big. Last time I checked, they changed over to a pouch with a clip, which is big for a Uke. Contact D'addario and ask if they'll send you out a soft velvet like pouch, so that you can use it for the sound hole, it's what I did, and they sent me one.
    Do the internal packages fit a concert sized? Saw the outside bag and it seems obvious that wouldn't fit. I figured the sack could be cut and edge duct taped. Do you think sizing would work? Don't want to waste $20 on something that won't fit. Thanks

Default get a room humidifier for winter

I have 10+ solid wood/tops uke's, and I find the most convenient way to keep them healthy is using a room humidifier that keeps humidity at 40-45%. I have one hygrometer to monitor the humidity in the room where they are stored/played. This also keeps the indoor atmosphere nice for us, humans.

Eugenio

Humidifying your home to 40-45% is not always a good idea and could potentially damage your home. Recommended humidity levels in the home vary with relation to outdoor temperatures.

outdoor temps 20-40F - indoor rh should be less than or equal to 40%
    outdoor temps 10-20F - indoor rh should be less than or equal to 35%
    outdoor temps 0-10F - indoor rh should be less than or equal to 30%
    outdoor temps (-10)-0F - indoor rh should be less than or equal to 25%
    outdoor temps (-20)-(-10)F - indoor rh should be less than or equal to 20%
    outdoor temps less than (-20)F - indoor rh should be less than or equal to 15%
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

To the original poster, I think you are going to be perfectly fine with an Oasis humidifier in the sound hole and storing the uke/humidifier in your hard case when you're not playing it. I live in Minnesota so our situation is very similar if not the same. If you humidify it in the case from Oct/Nov to Mar/Apr (the big heating/lower humidity months) you should be fine.
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

Thread Information