The Non Standard Uke Thread

Croaky Keith

Reaction score
I like to be different, don't always toe the line, & it's the same with my ukes, they're different from the run of the mill normal. :D

So, I'm starting this thread for you to join me in declaring that you like something different too.

Let us know what you have. :cool:

I started my journey back in December 2015, & have since acquired the following :-

Baton Rouge thinline cutaway solid spruce concert fitted with a MiSi pickup
Kala KA-SLNG laminate mahogany concert scale soprano body.
Ohana SK30M solid mahogany concert scale soprano body.
Ohana SK30L solid mahogany tenor scale soprano body.
Ohana CK35L solid mahogany tenor scale concert body.
RISA Solid/Stick Electric concert scale.
RISA Solid/Stick Electric tenor scale.
RISA Uke-Ellie Electric tenor scale.

Plus, just now, I have a Kala KA-T tenor fitted with concert guitar strings. ;)

While I don't intentionally try to be different*, I seem to gravitate to longnecks (concert-neck sopranos) and pineapples. My Famous pineapple combines both.

pineapple.jpg

(*I did enough of that in my wild and crazy art-punk youth!)

I am a traditionalist in the main, but
I do have a concert uke with a 16" scale,
a couple of resonators and a taropatch

Traditions have a value and place but there's something to be gained from questioning them rather than being too accepting, IMHO.

I prefer Pineapples to figure eight shaped Ukes. That aside Ohana's (Soprano) Vita model appeals to me and on the one occasion that I've held one it felt 'just right' too despite having what I think is a narrowish fretboard. I was at a trade stand, the place was very noisy and the Uke was out of tune so there was no opportunity to hear it in real life. However, the stuff that I have heard on YouTube suggests that I might well like one in real life too. Being a 'tightwad' and having to pay UK rather than US prices I think them expensive (for a factory built instrument), and I'm not sure about being able to space out the strings on one too. However, next time I see one on eBay for £20 I'll throw caution to the wind and place a bid.

The rebel in me doesn't like Tenor Ukes. I just find Tenors large to store and transport and the fretboard is too long to reach some chords easily. The rebel in me also doesn't put much value on more than twelve frets, can't say I much get past the fifth never mind the tenth. Thankfully we all like different things, which is just as well as life would be boring if we all did the same.

Last edited:
Me too. My ukes are each different from the other. List is in my signature.

Ukes each different.jpg

Do I even have a standard uke?
(* he asked and posted so he can see his .sig *)

ETA: nope, not really. :p

It ain't what you've got - it's what you do with it.

I've often thought about this before and there's probably TOO MANY varieties of ukes out there, right? A banjo baritone bass ukulele - well that one hasn't been done... yet... But most of those have been done already. My friend didn't believe that bass ukulele's even existed.

I like odd things. My Zither Heaven ukes fit that description. Zither tuning pins, floating bridge, 10 frets that are of a rubbery material, narrow neck, and skinny profile.

Attachments

• IMG_20160507_145312334.jpg
    IMG_20160507_145312334.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20160507_145401895_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160507_145401895_HDR.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 51
I like things to be different as well. Quite a few of mine are unique. My favorite being the one I made from a plastic ham box and an old banjomandouke :) Here's my hamalele. It will sound so much better if I ever get around to putting an actual WOOD soundboard on there...this one is cardboard! I'm impressed with the intonation for my first build, uh, many years ago.

Damn it! Temptation got the better of me.

Just ordered a Mahalo Electric Surfboard uke, (nylon strung).
Not sure how good it will play, but a couple of online vids make it sound OK - always liked the look of them. :)

MyMahalo.jpg

Edit: Just to say that it is a concert scale.

Last edited:
this thread is an outrageous attempt to just post pics of, and links to, fabulous ukes, and make people wanna go buy them :mad:

i like it a lot! :cheers:

this thread is an outrageous attempt to just post pics of, and links to, fabulous ukes, and make people wanna go buy them :mad:

i like it a lot! :cheers:

And for that, somethings you cannot just go buy... ;p lol

I'm the proud owner of U.L.O. #1, the red beauty on the left pictured below. Made in the USA by D. Heilman of BlackBearUke fame for a limited time and sold in the marketplace. Mine as described #001 - Red finish, Cedar top with a VG Fir body wood. 15 frets. Note: I believe I have the only 15 fret U.L.O. Couldn't put it down for quite awhile after I bought it. Its quite loud, very thin and has an old-timey sound with the best action straight from the gate Ive yet seen.

2016-6-28 ULO - a.jpg 2016-6-28 ULO - b.jpg 2016-6-28 ULO - c.jpg

Last edited:
Then there is this concert sized uke you cannot just go buy, might not want to... lol

This uke doesnt sound or play terrible but its what we call a 10/40 in the motorcycle or car world. Looks good from 10 feet away or going by at least 40 mph. It is unique! Although there is a lot of fill around the inlays and there are quite a few things that prove its handmade.! ;) Think I'm going to pull it out tonight see if its still playable and see what the heck song is stuck inside.

my ukulele.jpg concert back.jpg dragon-ukulele.jpg

Then there is this right here.

A little 20's soprano banjolele still wearing her wooden friction pegs and what appears to be the original skin. She is a tiny thing and loud as all heck. stuffing a sock in it does little to quiet this beast.

my-lil-bj.jpg

I stole this flapper girl from the internet and still kick around painting my own version of a flapper based off of this design on the skin.

flap.jpg

BTW: I have Aquila red banjolele strings sitting waiting the day I challenge changing and stretching them with the wooden tuners. You can still find these here and there but Ive only ever seen one other in as good condition and it was seriously rebuilt. Currently there is a rusted version with what looks like original Bakelite tuners on eBay for an outragious asking price... well compared to the couple C notes I have into this baby.

Last edited:
A Flea, a Fluke, 6 & 8 string tenors. I don't know if the 8 string counts as a taropatch, as I've heard those are usually concert. I have the 8 string in non standard tuning: gGCCEEAA so Cstrings in unison not octaves. The 6 string is strung gcCEaA so high G and octaves on the C and A strings. Sounds great.

Top Bottom