Looking for someone to refinish a uke..

Jddewitt81

Reaction score
I have an old Washburn that was a bit rough.. I know this probably goes against some code but I was going to refinish it.. I have refinished ukes with tru oil in the past with success but for the life of me I just can't get this one to look right. I tried a tru oil and wasn't happy.. then I tried a polyurethane.. wasn't happy with it either! I am admitting defeat and now have a new apereciation for those that can do this! Tired of messing with it! I love the uke; it has great bones. Can someone maybe refinish this or recommend someone that can that won't cost me an arm and a leg? A French polish would be ideal but open to anything really.. I would really like to do it up nice like it deserves.

Thank you,

Jon

Pat Wilkins in Van Nuys near Los Angeles is also a pro finisher, he's finished three of my bass ukes and mini electric basses, does an absolutely great job.

I suppose it depends how old or vintage it is. Refinishing an old instrument in the manner of a new one is always going to result in an unsympathetic look - unless you want it to look as though it was made yesterday. Otherwise the rule is to do as little as necessary - perhaps a quick over-polish with shellac, keeping clear of the polishing compounds - which would just result in a hard looking glass like surface. I think less is more when it comes to old instruments.

Jake at Antebellum Instruments maybe(?)

Thanks for the reply folks! I contacted a few people and waiting to hear back.

Top Bottom