Rajão grandfather of the ukulele!

Thanks uke1950, it is very nice indeed. So I wonder why not more rajãos are in use, they are so much nicer to play then tenor ukuleles.

IIRC four then string versions exist too and there is a wealth of lost music for them waiting to be rediscovered. I might be mistaken but I think there was something on Sam Muirs site. More strings might well allow greater things but the I find that there's a lot to be said for keeping things simple (?) with four and exploiting that simplicity to best advantage.

Hello Herman,

That was really nice! Thanks so much for posting it. Scott did a great job as always, and your playing (as well as the photography) were really first rate.

I've always been interested in these instruments, and like you, have wondered why they aren't played more today. But what I'm seeing here is not what I would expect. I'm far from expert in this area, so maybe you can help me.

First, did Phalese actually write those pieces for the Rajao, or did you adapt them? My impression of the instrument is that it served primarily as a rhythm accompaniment to the Machete. BTW, I've seen your Machete/Guitar video, and it is wonderful as well.

The instrument itself appears a bit different in proportion than the few I've seen, appearing to have a somewhat smaller body. Was this based on an historical instrument, or simply designed to suit your playing preferences?

It seems that playing melody on this instrument (and the design of Scott's work would seem to show an intent for that use) could be a new way of playing it; not something that's been seen before. Am I mistaken there? Even if that's the case, then you've opened a new window on both the design and the style of play.

Thanks again -

Last edited:
Beautiful playing/ beautiful video. Thank you for posting. How is the Rajao tuned?

Hello Herman,

First, did Phalese actually write those pieces for the Rajao, or did you adapt them? My impression of the instrument is that it served primarily as a rhythm accompaniment to the Machete.

Today on Madeira more and more they are playing classical solo on the rajão as well and maybe it has been done before we just don't know. For the machete there is a collection of classical pieces from 19th century.
Id did make the arr. from Phalèse's pieces. Now I have made enough arr. to play a whole concert on rajão and it seem so much nicer to play on then a tenor ukulele. https://hermanvandecauter.bandcamp.com/track/la-carolina-ricardo-porfyrio-da-fonseca

18th century Madeira
IMG_1672.jpg

Last edited:
d G C E A Like tenor ukulele only extra d re-entrant the G is traditional also re-entrant. I use low G although.

Top Bottom