Hello from upstate NY

ayee

Reaction score
Hi! I'm Anthony and I just started teaching myself ukulele. I'm an amateur cellist and have been wanting to learn ukulele for quite awhile now. I've finally found some motivation and time in my busy life as a graduate student to teach myself a little bit.

... time in my busy life as a graduate student to teach myself a little bit.

Welcome to the forum! What field are you studying for the graduate program?

Welcome Anthony! Hello from sunnier and warmer Arizona. I've been to Niagara Falls and to Cooperstown. Loved it in upstate NY. Would love to go back sometime. This UU is a very friendly place.

Hi! I'm Anthony and I just started teaching myself ukulele. I'm an amateur cellist and have been wanting to learn ukulele for quite awhile now. I've finally found some motivation and time in my busy life as a graduate student to teach myself a little bit.

Hey, Anthony.

If you are studying Optical engineering, then I'd make a wild guess that you are at RIT in western New York. So if you are in the Rochester area, check out Bernunzio's - one of our local Uke Gurus, Ron Gordon, just did a series of uke and jug band workshops out there.

(BTW, to me, "Upstate New York" is Saratoga Springs and Northward, while anything south of Albany is "Downstate". West of Utica, is central (Syracuse) and Western (Rochester and Buffalo)).

Eastern NY is called Massachusetts.

-Kurt​

Optical engineering in the hometown of Bausch and Lomb. Interesting. Welcome to UU. Maybe I'll see you at Bernunzio's.

Hey, Anthony.

If you are studying Optical engineering, then I'd make a wild guess that you are at RIT in western New York. So if you are in the Rochester area, check out Bernunzio's - one of our local Uke Gurus, Ron Gordon, just did a series of uke and jug band workshops out there.

(BTW, to me, "Upstate New York" is Saratoga Springs and Northward, while anything south of Albany is "Downstate". West of Utica, is central (Syracuse) and Western (Rochester and Buffalo)).

Eastern NY is called Massachusetts.

-Kurt​

I'm at the University of Rochester. I'll definitely have to check out Bernunzio's! Thanks for the recommendation.
I guess you're right, I should really just call it western NY. I guess most people I know just consider everything outside of NYC upstate since usually no one ever knows where Rochester is.

I'm at the University of Rochester. I'll definitely have to check out Bernunzio's! Thanks for the recommendation.
I guess you're right, I should really just call it western NY. I guess most people I know just consider everything outside of NYC upstate since usually no one ever knows where Rochester is.

I have a nephew who just got out of RIT with a Computer Science degree, one of my former co-workers at Starbucks is currently at RIT pre-med, and the one time I got to spend more than 10 minutes in Rochester (Back in the late 1970s) I headed straight for the House of Guitars. I knew nothing about Bernunzio's at the time, if it was even there...

I apologize, i didn't even know about University of Rochester. I knew Kodak helped bankroll the Optics and photography programs at RIT (Thought about that as a college major - back in the mid-70s - but when I saw the physics requirement, I just turned and slowly walked away...)

Anyway, welcome to UU! These folks are generally among the nicest folks in the world - I met a couple of my best friends in this forum. One local, one on the other side of the country.

-Kurt​

Top Bottom