Do your ukuleles have names?

I sat down with Rick Turner to design a custom ukulele for me. I said I wanted a cutaway with the reddest wood that exists and he suggested bloodwood but never made a uke using it because it is quite brittle. Well, being the superior luthier that he is, he succeeded. His longtime friend, office manager, musician, songwriter Jayme Kelly Curtis (RIP) called me to tell me the uke was ready and then said "Wowee...just wowee!". So here are a couple of pictures of Wowee.

Attachments

• IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I thought I posted to this thread in the past, but seems not. The names I give to my ukes are from a description or style or manufacturer; two hole, Kala, gypsy jazz, spalted, mandolele, paddle, thinline and Godin.

Ukes 2018 July 900.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

NO, NO and NO! (The only time my ukes are given names is when they refuse to co-operate with my fingers!)

No. I refer to them by Make and main woods. All but one are tenors.

Just one of them. My Kiwaya KTS-4 is "Katie" or "Yuki".

I sat down with Rick Turner to design a custom ukulele for me. I said I wanted a cutaway with the reddest wood that exists and he suggested bloodwood but never made a uke using it because it is quite brittle. Well, being the superior luthier that he is, he succeeded. His longtime friend, office manager, musician, songwriter Jayme Kelly Curtis (RIP) called me to tell me the uke was ready and then said "Wowee...just wowee!". So here are a couple of pictures of Wowee.

Really nice and a very ornate headstock. Spruce top?

Some of mine have their normal names like Gibson,Martin,or Kamaka..others are "One-of-my-Own",or "The-One-The-Wife-Doesn't-Know-About" ..The last couple names..have a LOT using those names...The one with the spider on the front below became "The Devil Made Me Do It"...don't know why...;)
thedevilmademedoit.jpg

Last edited:
I know people who have given them names, but I'm not one of them. A friend has a black uke named Johnny (as in "Cash".) Sometimes I'll make up names for things: the teak on my sailboat was Ann, the Keel was Howard. Get the idea? :D

I thought I posted to this thread in the past, but seems not. The names I give to my ukes are from a description or style or manufacturer; two hole, Kala, gypsy jazz, spalted, mandolele, paddle, thinline and Godin.

I like that Kala cedar. I have the same model.

As a general rule, I tend not to anthropomorphize inanimate objects, so no I do not name my ukes.

I call them by make and model and scale length, or if more than one by wood or other specific features, i.e., Kala KA-T tenor, or Lava concert Fluke, Koa tenor Fluke with PegHeds, etc...

I do name pets, and when I was keeping aquarium fish, I named them too...:)

Some folks love naming things, and I say go for it if that is what brings you joy. :rock:

Wise words as usual!

Top Bottom