What size would a modern professional use?

Witters

Reaction score
I say folks, does anyone know, or have a pretty good opinion on what size Ukulele is the most popular in today’s world with professional musicians?

I would imagine that the Soprano was once hailed as not only the traditional size Uke, but also the most widely used by professionals, but wondered if that has changed.

I know styles have changed, or at least there seems more people now moving away from what I would once call the “norm”, as in strumming to popular songs, so I wondered if the attitudes have changed and now more and more are moving up to the Concert or Tenor, or maybe even starting out with those rather than the Soprano.

Or is it a case of where you live? For instance, I have not seen many people from Hawaii play old time favourites, but rather popular songs or those from the Islands.

I also don’t think it’s a case of what you want to do with the Uke that predicts which is more suited, as anything can be played on anything.

So what size would overall be most popular for the professional?

I think it totally depends what they're playing. Jake Shimabukoro plays a tenor, and it's ideal for the sort of fancy fingerstyle he plays - plenty of room for your fingers. Soprano, however, has that great barking sound which works so well for chordal stuff.

I say folks, does anyone know, or have a pretty good opinion on what size Ukulele is the most popular in today’s world with professional musicians?

I would imagine that the Soprano was once hailed as not only the traditional size Uke, but also the most widely used by professionals, but wondered if that has changed.

I know styles have changed, or at least there seems more people now moving away from what I would once call the “norm”, as in strumming to popular songs, so I wondered if the attitudes have changed and now more and more are moving up to the Concert or Tenor, or maybe even starting out with those rather than the Soprano.

Or is it a case of where you live? For instance, I have not seen many people from Hawaii play old time favourites, but rather popular songs or those from the Islands.

I also don’t think it’s a case of what you want to do with the Uke that predicts which is more suited, as anything can be played on anything.

So what size would overall be most popular for the professional?

This is a pretty subjective question really so it will all depend on the individual player. Pretty much all the best players I know play with a tenor. Probably because it can be louder and has a bigger note range.

It does seem that the faster players prefer tenors for perhaps a few reasons. They are a great size for bigger, longer fingers, and the longer scale has many advantages. Tenor ukes are a little more substantial in terms of weight and that helps when you are playing fast and combining finger-style and fast chord-melody. Playing unplugged, they have a bigger voice (solid wood ukes) and they have higher string tension. All of these things help professional performing artists play the way they do.

I think most uke serious performers from the mainland usa prefer a tenor, and alot want some sort of pick-up in it. Except those who are die-hard soprano players, whether that be for nostalgia sake ,novelty, or just plain love of the soprano. There are some players that I don't think I've ever seen play anything but a soprano, HH, Janet Klein and Hot Time Harv come to mind.

I think most uke serious performers from the mainland usa prefer a tenor, and alot want some sort of pick-up in it. Except those who are die-hard soprano players, whether that be for nostalgia sake ,novelty, or just plain love of the soprano. There are some players that I don't think I've ever seen play anything but a soprano, HH, Janet Klein and Hot Time Harv come to mind.

Nonsense. I play sopranino a lot too. ;)

And if you really look closely, like with any endeavor, there's a small cadre of really talented folk playing any given size and then a huge sea of folk who want to be just like their hero. Lately the hero is often Jake. Nothing wrong with that (though I think lots of folk would be better off copping Jake's attitude rather than his licks). But that style is really not the be-all and end-all of ukulele playing.

In the soprano field: if you don't count Craig Robertson as a serious player, I don't know who is.

How about Pops Bayless? He doesn't do a lot of the finger-pickety stuff, but he can blaze circles around most anybody. (Certainly me, anyways.) I'm pretty sure he goes no larger than concert.

The late, much lamented John King seems to have favored sopranos and the occasional concert and only a deaf person would consider him anything less than a serious player.

Then there's Neil Paisley. That boy is all over the uke like white on rice. Yep, soprano.

I can't remember what size Victoria Vox likes but I think it's concert. I just asked her on Twitter so if her response comes back before I finish this rant I'll letcha know. :)

Mark "Jazzukes" Occhionero seems to get along pretty darn well without benefit of tenor.

I could go on -- I know I've left out a lot of people -- but I don't think that's necessary.

IMNSHO, it's really not a matter of the tenor being "bad" or something... I just get really tired of the "tenors are for serious players" or "start on whatever and graduate to a tenor" crap.

Choose whatever size for whatever reason.

But just remember what Craig sez: "Real men play sopranos." :p

Lately the hero is often Jake. Nothing wrong with that (though I think lots of folk would be better off copping Jake's attitude rather than his licks).

well said.

btw, i play a concert, and i am a serious player. i am not at all good, but i am serious about playing in my dining room and my front porch. ;)

Most Modern Pros seems to all play Tenor Size ukulele's when performing. But that doesnt mean they dont use the other sizes for fun or practice.. I remember seeing AG use his Martin Soprano on a vid recently..

I think it all depends on the style and sound you are trying to acheive too.

I like what Howlin Hobbit said on the matter. I'd also point out that I typically play a baritone or a concert when I am playing with other people, but I have everything on my collection.

My favorite size for re-entrant tuning is actually "concert" and I love using baritone for fattening the mix when I play with others. Try playing "Dust In the Wind" on an Ohana BK-32 and you will understand my love of baritone ukes.

Like HH said!

That was a good post!

I like the soprano...I love the bark it has.
I play a comcert live because it has that wee bit more volume unplugged and I'm a bit clumsy!

For me a tennor is just a small guitar.

In regards to the original... most modern pros use tenors, bottom line. AG, Jake, James, Victoria(concert body, tenor scale).. etc etc etc.

But that shouldn't influence anyone's decision on what to use.

Last edited:
I play all 4 sizes and jump around from one to another. The reason I have 4 sizes is simply UAS. I often play all 4 ukes on a given day. Each is different sounding and different to play. I have a Koaloha soprano, a vintage Harmony soprano, a Jenny concert ( probably play this one the most), a koa Kanile"a that I bought from Joe's shop, and a vintage cedar top Regal baritone. I enjoy all of them and wouldn't sell any of them. Play what you like. They are ALL COOL!

Am I the only one who thinks about "Life of Brian" every time this gets rehashed?

Brian: Have I got a big nose, Mum?
Brian's mother: Stop thinking about sex!
Brian: I wasn't!
Brian's mother: You're always on about it. "Will the girls like this? Will the girls like that? Is it too big? Is it too small? "

I use a Koaloha concert for the TCUO. That particular instrument works best in that context.

And I would also like to add Lyle Ritz to the esteemed Mr. Hobbit's soprano player list.

By the way, as a side note, I would like to thank HH for his explanation on his website concerning the “cheat theory” or music theory.

Before I read this, it was as clear as mud. Just couldn’t understand it no matter where I read it. Now it seems clear as crystal.

Very much appreciated HH in taking time to put this together.

By the way, as a side note, I would like to thank HH for his explanation on his website concerning the “cheat theory” or music theory.

Before I read this, it was as clear as mud. Just couldn’t understand it no matter where I read it. Now it seems clear as crystal.

Very much appreciated HH in taking time to put this together.

You're welcome. They're mostly tricks from other folks that have helped me get whatever understanding of theory I have.

I keep meaning to add a doc with the tricks that allowed me to finally cop the circle of fifths but I never seem to get the proverbial "round tuit." Maybe if I put it on my to-do list having the unfinished task staring at me everyday will jog my elbow.

Top Bottom