Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scroll Saw: Useful Tool or Not?

Default Scroll Saw: Useful Tool or Not?

My neighbor just gave me a scroll saw for free. So I took it even though I am skeptical it will be useful. Bench space is always at a premium and I'm wondering if this thing will be of any use. It is brand new never used. How could I turn it down?

So today I set it up and tuned the blade to 90 vertical. The indicator gauge is not very accurate. Then I set up a fence system and tried to cut some small stuff. Well, if you have ever tried to set up a fence system on a bandsaw you know it doesn't really work very well because the blade flexes. Still, I was able to cut some small bracing wood after a lot of fiddling. Previously I have been cutting my bracing using a 10" bladed 3 HP table saw which is serious overkill and dangerous to boot.

My question: Does anybody else use this thing and does it have other uses?

DSCN7940.jpg DSCN7942.jpg

A scroll saw's main use is for cutting curves. That being said, it's the only powered saw I owned until I bought a band saw. Now I still use it for cutting small curved pieces when my band saw is fitted with a 1/2" blade. I'm sure you'll find many uses for it as time goes by.

Bob

One of the main tools for marquetry and inlay work, pre CNC ...learn the window technique and you'll be amazed at the quality of inlay you can achieve with no gaps.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I have two of them, powered one and an old treadle type. They see zero use! Not that they can't be used for instrument making but their use is a little limited. Maybe one of the more industrial types would fair much better. Bandsaw is much more useful. Don't know why you have trouble with a fence, mine works pretty well.

I wonder how many of us have "almost new in the box" scroll saws gathering dust. Maybe the success of the tool lies more in the hands of the operator but I've had a few of them in my life and their fate always remain the same; back in the box they go. Knew Concepts makes a professional scroll saw, made for doing inlay work, that costs around $2000 that has tempted me but I still don't think it can match the precision of good hand work. For cutting small radii and braces, a small tabletop bandsaw can do a far better job for the same price.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    One of the main tools for marquetry and inlay work, pre CNC ...learn the window technique and you'll be amazed at the quality of inlay you can achieve with no gaps.
    Can you cut pearl inlay pieces on one?

Quote Originally Posted by ksquine View Post
    Yes!...if you use the correct blades
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ksquine View Post
    Yes, but i've never been able to maintain enough control to do the microscopic work needed for good inlay. The size blades needed, 4/0-6/0 would last but couple of moments with shell on a scroll saw. I just find it so much easier, but not faster, doing it by hand. This is the scroll saw you need for doing precision work!
    http://www.knewconcepts.com/power.php
    Last edited by Moore Bettah Ukuleles; 09-28-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

I was given mine as well, so maybe a clue about their usefulness there? Given it was free I guess I shouldn't be too critical, but to be honest the only function it has ever usefully fulfilled is ballast ... I keep it on the shelf of the Jet 16-32 leg stand, where the extra low down mass adds some stability when wheeling it around. Apart from that I once used it to cut the centre out of a maple pickup surround on my solid body tenor, but the job would have gone better with a coping saw. There was also a scary attempt to cut out a thin aluminium template when I couldn't be bothered to change the blade in the bandsaw.

I think it comes down to the blade mounting, which on mine (presumably a cheapo generic Chinese model) uses pinned blades. That might be fine on a junior hacksaw, but is pretty crap on a power saw and the blade wanders around all over the place

I think I would struggle to find a use even for a decent quality one, though occasionally there are jobs where the bandsaw throat capacity becomes an issue.

What problems are you having with your bandsaw fence?
    Last edited by Wildestcat; 09-28-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    Cheers
    Paul

That is some saw Chuck, and half a ukulele to pay for it. I'm cheating and using a CNC to do what I had stopped doing before... With severely reduce fine movement in my right hand, there's little point in me fitting a blade to a jeweller's saw

Thread Information