Wanted - High End Concert - UK

sausagedog

Reaction score
I've been lurking here and various other places for quite a long time but there doesn't seem to be much love for concert ukuleles (especially in the UK!).

Are there any people looking to sell? I haven't decided exactly on how much I am willing to spend but I would like an all solid mahogany/koa - possibly a Martin or one of the 3Ks. An old luthier made one might be of interest, too. My main is currently a Ken Hill Koa.

Please let me know what you have. :D

Why? There are builders in the UK who can do equal, if not better than Martin and the Hawaian Ks or did you mean a 3K concert? I am thinking of Phil Davidson for example... I am building one in the most outrageous Phu Qoc Acacia. You don't always have to default to the USA builders or vintage instruments you know :)

No love of the concert, are you kidding, look at the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain - plus it's my size, (along with a bit of tenor scale). ;)

Another place to look, as well as the afore mentioned SUS & DofU, is 'World of Ukes'.

(There are quite a few British builders of good quality, if that is the road you want to take.)

Some great information in this thread - thanks!

Never knew the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain played concert, too. Love the size of concerts. Anything bigger, to me, just loses the uke factor. However, I appreciate we are have different views on that.

That Fidra is certainly a beaut. I'll have to keep looking and check out all the sites. If there is anyone else out there selling please get in touch.

If your travels bring you to the US I have what you're looking for - 50s Martin concert very good condition, VERY loud. Good luck to you.

Pete howlett is a great builder. I have two concerts he built. His ukes are as good as any I’ve owned or played. He lives in the uk. His prices are reasonable. He does a great job on the concert size. You will get a lot more uke without the accompanying problems of vintage. His builds are light and the instruments sing. He’s never been the flavor of the month here (and I’ve played some really bad ukes that were flavor of the month.). He’s never had the breathless fans like chuck Moore (truly great builder) or beau hannum (never played one of his ukes). All he does is make very playable ukes with consistent quality year after year, decade after decade.

Concert size Ukulele is certainly my favourite size ukulele to both play and build ;-)

There are plenty of options within the UK

Top Bottom