Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: body (player) salt and whiteness on the uke body

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    390

    Default body (player) salt and whiteness on the uke body

    Hi. I have noticed that whenever I play, there is a spot where my arm has been and sometimes chest if I am shirtless. It is probably from sweat and salt. This happens even if I am not sweaty.

    After using my uke I wipe it down with my chamois cloth (I believe that is the most gentle on the finish). I have to breathe on it to add moisture to get it clean. When I feel the chamois cloth stop 'pulling' on the affected area, I believe it is clean enough to put back.

    I wrote another post about possibly putting wax on it, to further protect my uke from this. Any thoughts on this? I almost don't want to play my nicer ukes because I don't want to add scratches, wear down the finish, or risk having salt damage on it. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Berryville, Virginia
    Posts
    3,049

    Default

    You must play some very salty songs, LOL (: Anyway, my ukes do get "polished" by my arm. I used to like matte finish ukes. Now I like glossy! Don't have many of those though. (I've been able to curb my UAS and haven't bought a uke in quite some time now.) You could put an arm rest on the uke. Not sure about the chest, um, I wonder what a little sweater, wait, that's funny.....sweat-er!! Sorry, brain is a bit squirrely...a little cover with elastic sewn around the edge that just goes around the back and hugs just a tiny portion of the soundboard?? Don't know how much it would affect sound though. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wakanda
    Posts
    6,466

    Default

    I had a similar problem with my forearm leaving behind some organic residue on the bass side of the lower bout.

    After getting tired of the extra cleanings my solution was to get an old sock, tube or dress sock does not matter, and cut the 'toes' area off, and then put that on my arm as a sleeve. Doing so prevented the salty/organic stuff completely.

    This not a new or my own idea. Arm sleeves are used by classical and flamenco guitar players, and for basically the same thing as my sock, but made of spandex or neoprene, I've seen them selling at a starting price of like $30 or so.

    I would not pay $30 for a sleeve, when I have a couple of old, orphaned socks that I could use.

    Maybe try a sock and see what happens?

    I eventually re-homed that uke, and the new owner is very happy with it, and I have no regrets.
    This ═╣FAQ link╠═ will help you learn about many things.
    You should click it, as the answers are waiting for you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, near the Beverly Center.
    Posts
    4,228

    Default

    Instruments are made to play, scratches and such just prove that you are doing so. I stopped worrying about keeping mine pristine, allows me to relax and have fun.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bonesigh View Post
    You must play some very salty songs, LOL (: Anyway, my ukes do get "polished" by my arm. I used to like matte finish ukes. Now I like glossy! Don't have many of those though. (I've been able to curb my UAS and haven't bought a uke in quite some time now.) You could put an arm rest on the uke. Not sure about the chest, um, I wonder what a little sweater, wait, that's funny.....sweat-er!! Sorry, brain is a bit squirrely...a little cover with elastic sewn around the edge that just goes around the back and hugs just a tiny portion of the soundboard?? Don't know how much it would affect sound though. Good luck.
    haha, thanks for the humerous reply! I sometimes use a rubber kitchen non-slip mat that I cut for that when I remember, to put on my chest. Honestly, I usually pick up my uke in between chores and stuff at home, for minutes at a time, and then move on to my chores. So sometimes I laze or forget to use it...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wakanda
    Posts
    6,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    Instruments are made to play, scratches and such just prove that you are doing so. I stopped worrying about keeping mine pristine, allows me to relax and have fun.
    In my case, it has nothing to do with play wear, but instead having a layer of a slime-like material all over 1/4 of the top of the uke that was almost like a coating of 'hardened' vaseline. Apparently there was some interaction with the super-gloss finish and the natural oils in my skin.

    IIRC, the OP was not referring to play wear, but a problem similar to my own.
    This ═╣FAQ link╠═ will help you learn about many things.
    You should click it, as the answers are waiting for you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    Instruments are made to play, scratches and such just prove that you are doing so. I stopped worrying about keeping mine pristine, allows me to relax and have fun.
    thanks for the consolation about it! I just want to be sure they don't turn into white spots or ruin the finish if there is something I can do to prevent it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    I had a similar problem with my forearm leaving behind some organic residue on the bass side of the lower bout.

    After getting tired of the extra cleanings my solution was to get an old sock, tube or dress sock does not matter, and cut the 'toes' area off, and then put that on my arm as a sleeve. Doing so prevented the salty/organic stuff completely.

    This not a new or my own idea. Arm sleeves are used by classical and flamenco guitar players, and for basically the same thing as my sock, but made of spandex or neoprene, I've seen them selling at a starting price of like $30 or so.

    I would not pay $30 for a sleeve, when I have a couple of old, orphaned socks that I could use.

    Maybe try a sock and see what happens?

    I eventually re-homed that uke, and the new owner is very happy with it, and I have no regrets.
    thanks booli! Will look around for a sock, probably a dress sock that is nice and soft...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, near the Beverly Center.
    Posts
    4,228

    Default

    Got it. Similar to my friend who can't wear gold, turns his skin green.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    324

    Default

    How about a long sleeve shirt?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •