Attention Britts, Beer Choir????

Rllink

Reaction score
To my friends from the British Empire, is Beer Choir a thing? We have an English Pub here in the heartland called Iowa, owned and run by a fellow Englishman. It is a pretty popular place, by the way. They are having that great English pub tradition, Beer Choir. Is it in fact a British tradition, or is it just a marketing scheme to sell more Boddington? Either way, I'm going, and I'm drinking Boddington.

I’m not a Brit, but it sounds like my kinda place. My old Scottish heart’s a pumpin’. Bring on the McEwan’s. :cheers: :eek:ld:

That's one great English pub tradition of which I have not heard - but, what the heck?! - it combines beer drinking and singing. What (as they say) is not to like? Let the Boddington's flow like - well - Boddington's!

It went real well. We didn't start until after 9:00 in the evening, so that those who came earlier to dine could do so without being disturbed by a bunch of loud drunken singing. The place was packed. We went for almost an hour and a half. We had our Beer Choir Hymnal, and the owner of the bar had his own St. Paddy's Day songbook which he passed out. I didn't bring my ukulele with me, as I didn't really know most of the songs that well and I didn't know how things were going to go, but I think that if they do it again I will bring it. I'm not sure how it would fit in, but I think that it could. There was a lady accompanying us with a keyboard, and she was pretty good. The fellow who was leading the whole thing was my voice coach a few years back. Anyway, it was fun.

“Beer Choir” isn’t a term that I’m familiar with but ‘sing songs’ in Uk pubs is traditional if now uncommon. Enjoy. Some U.K. pubs used to have ‘folk’ (singing) nights - I anticipate that some still do - and some Uke Clubs do meet in pubs.

There seems to be a large community of second and third generations British here. Even first generation. I don't know if they teach the waitresses that accent, or if they are British. Mucky Duck, as it is called, has something different going on every night, and this beer choir evening picked up a little traction. Last night I rode my old Yamaha 650 over there for their last vintage motorcycle night of the season and a lot of people were talking about it, and asking the owner when he was going to do it again. So maybe it will become a regular thing. I hope so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom