Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistachio & Spruce Ukulele

Very pretty as always!

Quote Originally Posted by Vespa Bob View Post
    Great work, the back sure looks rich in color! I also like the simple design of the headstock.

Bob
    Thanks Bob. I'm going with the simple post modern proto-punk minimalist look with the squared off headstock. Right. One thing I can say is that it is a hell of lot easier than dealing with all those swirls and loop de loops I tried in the past. Kinda of a Talking Heads look was what I was going for. Either that or just laziness in not cutting the headstock with anything other than a square angle. I'm calling it the muffin head look or the eraserhead headstock. Patented!

ukulele made with spruce ?

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    You know I remember a great debate going on in the guitar builders world many years ago about wide grain versus close grain in Sitka spruce tops. I wasn't a builder at the time, but the basic argument is that grain width doesn't matter in how the top sounds. Well I can tell you after building with both I don't agree. This is what I think: The difference is subtle, but I think all that open grain gives a more rounded sound across the octaves and the tight ass stuff is more focused and punchy. (Punchy? Give me a break). However, the people that buy acoustic instruments made with spruce like the look of tight, even grain and thus tight grain is the preferred wood for "master grade" etc. However, those in the know, like "ugly" wide grained spruce. Sweet.

Answering Hakuguu question on how pistachio colors the tone: Frankly I don't really know. This is an area that baffles me... The finish is number one blond shellac.
    and yet the most revered and expensive spruce, Adirondack, generally has wide grain.

I have a few thin scraps that look great I was considering using it as a head stock veneer, The test piece seemed to change color (green going to brown) when shellac was applied, did you experience something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by PetalumaRescuke View Post
    I have a few thin scraps that look great I was considering using it as a head stock veneer, The test piece seemed to change color (green going to brown) when shellac was applied, did you experience something similar?
    Not really. The green stayed pretty green after shellac finishing... I sold that uke years ago and wonder if the green turned to brown. Who knows.

Revisited the pieces and ran an other test finish, almost no noticeable change. Must have cured in the last few years. Thanks I'm inspired to use it now.

Thread Information