The CITES Dance--Step by step with links

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
I gleaned this from one of the facebook luthier groups I belong to and figured I'd repost it here for those interested. This is the OP's first experience with shipping an instrument overseas while following all the necessary regulations. He figures it cost about $363 for the process and took about 10 hours of his time. Not something i'd want to spend my time on but it might be of interest for those of you with stronger stomachs than mine.

2: Apply for the USDA Protected Plant Permit with form 621. You can print it out and send it in but the USDA has a handy dandy ePermit system. Go to www.aphis.usda.gov to sign up for level 2 access to applications. You can pay your $70 fee online also.
Cost: $70
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/forms/pdf/ppqform621.pdf
I got my permit by email within an hour of submitting the application.

3. You’ll need your import/export license to export the pearl products. This has to be sent in by mail, along with the fee. This one came pretty quickly by email.
Cost: $100
https://www.fws.gov/le/pdf/3-200-3a.pdf

4: Print and fill out the U.S. Customs form 3461.
https://www.cbp.gov/…/OLD CBP Form 3461 for ACS.p…

5. Create a shipping label with FedEx or DHL. Others maybe able to handle the requirements but USPS cannot.

6. Go to the FWS eDecs Page and create an account. Fill out form 3-177, which is right on there. Follow the instructions and you will end up scanning and uploading the following:
-form 3-177
-check for $93
-CITES permit
-customs form 3461
-commercial invoice
-export license for the pearl
-the shipping label/waybill. They need the tracking # from that.
Cost: $93
https://edecs.fws.gov/

7. Get your CITES permit signed. Find the CITES approved port near you and send them:
-original CITES permit plus 2 copies
-your PPP (protected plant permit)
-commercial invoice
-copy of the waybill
My CITES port is at JFK:
USDA-APHIS-PPQ plant inspection station
230-59 int’l airport centers BLVD
Jamaica, NY 11413
ATTN: CITES inspection

Here’s a list of ports:
https://www.fws.gov/le/inspection-offices.html
And a list of USDA inspectors:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/…/State-Plant-Health-Directors-D…

www.fws.gov
WWW.FWS.GOV

Chuck- Did the poster explain what they needed to submit to prove that the wood came from an approved source? Most of us with older wood have no proof whatsoever of the origin of the wood.--Bob

And for most of us with pre-CITES stashes Bob, that is the key to the problem...

Before the regulations went into effect I seem to remember we had a window of opportunity to inventory, document and record all the stock we had on hand and that was supposed to be filed with some bureaucracy. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time because I knew I'd be sitting out this dance.

I think you still had to have the 'proofs of provenance' then Chuck... It's such a shame this business. If only countries with these precious resources had adopted the Indian model we wouldn't be in this pickle. They have been sensibly controlling and conserving since the 1930s...

Digging this old chestnut up as I was planning for future ukulele builds - and was looking at purchasing from Spain and Portugal.

For UK users - there's now the added joy of Brexit.

Although the UK is signatory to the general CITES agreements and rules - we are currently covered by the EU area agreements so CITES timber can be transferred freely between all member states - all EU states are seen to be safe - and major importers / exporters / dealers are deemed to comply with CITES regulations.

If / When Brexit hits these shores -

Any timber imported from the EU that is covered by CITES will need a licence and documentation

Although (as far as I am aware) buyers won't need to fulfil the due diligence checks (it's taken that the EU states are safe countries to buy from)

Typically this will add around 65 Euros to any personal import - per order - with probable delays to sort the documentation out.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
You also need to buy CITES certificates from USFW, they cost $5 a piece and expire after 6 months. Each shipment needs a certificate to go with it (you don't get the permit signed, they sign and stamp the certificate that goes with the shipment)

To make it extra headache-inducing, the government has divided CITES up among 3 agencies. US Fish and Wildlife does all the paperwork, permits and certificates. APHIS/ USDA does the exit inspections and stamps everything going out of the country (unless it contains both flora and fauna of some kind, then USFW can do it). Homeland Security inspects and signs everything coming into the country.

Chuck- Did the poster explain what they needed to submit to prove that the wood came from an approved source? Most of us with older wood have no proof whatsoever of the origin of the wood.--Bob

You need original receipts. If you don't have them, you simply can't do it legally.

How they actually match wood sets that came out of a log with it's receipt is anyone's guess. well, i'll venture a guess.... it is an impossibility.

Lastly, as these costs are passed onto the customer, it is cheaper or close to cheaper to buy a plane tix and hand deliver the instrument - this bypasses all this ridiculous paperwork (which doesn't save trees as a solo luthiers impact on the environment is astronomically low).

PS- for Brazilian rosewood you still need paperwork, but not the same paper work.

Last edited:
Cost me £59 or about %70 - $80 here in the UK. Took 10 minutes to fill out form with certificate expedited in 10 days. The British invented bureaucracy, Americans just take it to another level.

And that level is so convoluted that the bureaucrats and their "representatives" cant even figure it out

You need original receipts. If you don't have them, you simply can't do it legally.

How they actually match wood sets that came out of a log with it's receipt is anyone's guess. well, i'll venture a guess.... it is an impossibility.

Lastly, as these costs are passed onto the customer, it is cheaper or close to cheaper to buy a plane tix and hand deliver the instrument - this bypasses all this ridiculous paperwork (which doesn't save trees as a solo luthiers impact on the environment is astronomically low).

PS- for Brazilian rosewood you still need paperwork, but not the same paper work.

An agent can approve a vintage ukulele without paperwork, but you need to convince them that it is pre-convention and have them stamp a certificate specifically for that instrument. One of our Chicago agents routinely visits a shop that sells vintage instruments and does this, but I think without documentation it is entirely up to that agent whether or not they approve it.

An agent can approve a vintage ukulele without paperwork, but you need to convince them that it is pre-convention and have them stamp a certificate specifically for that instrument. One of our Chicago agents routinely visits a shop that sells vintage instruments and does this, but I think without documentation it is entirely up to that agent whether or not they approve it.

Interesting.
I'm glad at least the vintage market is a lot easier.

Also, you need to physically take the instrument to an official port of exit. My nearest one is in LA, 775 miles away......

For Hawaii, Oahu is the only one.

Beau - that is smuggling/breaking the law and isn't the answer. The solution is: stop using CITES Appendix I and II materials or pay the dues. The sooner we start using material that is source locally in what could be argued as true "Hawaiian Tradition' the better. The Uk has three possibly woods - was ut, cherry and yew but you have to hunt high and low for figures and interest. In the US, the first is your oyster. There is so much lovely walnut, myrtle and other native speech not to mention all the spruce money can buy. You do not need Dalbergias!

Interesting.
I'm glad at least the vintage market is a lot easier.

Also, you need to physically take the instrument to an official port of exit. My nearest one is in LA, 775 miles away......

For Hawaii, Oahu is the only one.

We've got to make an appointment and drive 5 hours to Chicago. The inspection itself usually takes 5 minutes.

Top Bottom