Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The CITES Dance--Step by step with links

And that level is so convoluted that the bureaucrats and their "representatives" cant even figure it out
    My Real name is Terry Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    You need original receipts. If you don't have them, you simply can't do it legally.

How they actually match wood sets that came out of a log with it's receipt is anyone's guess. well, i'll venture a guess.... it is an impossibility.

Lastly, as these costs are passed onto the customer, it is cheaper or close to cheaper to buy a plane tix and hand deliver the instrument - this bypasses all this ridiculous paperwork (which doesn't save trees as a solo luthiers impact on the environment is astronomically low).

PS- for Brazilian rosewood you still need paperwork, but not the same paper work.
    An agent can approve a vintage ukulele without paperwork, but you need to convince them that it is pre-convention and have them stamp a certificate specifically for that instrument. One of our Chicago agents routinely visits a shop that sells vintage instruments and does this, but I think without documentation it is entirely up to that agent whether or not they approve it.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    An agent can approve a vintage ukulele without paperwork, but you need to convince them that it is pre-convention and have them stamp a certificate specifically for that instrument. One of our Chicago agents routinely visits a shop that sells vintage instruments and does this, but I think without documentation it is entirely up to that agent whether or not they approve it.
    Interesting.
    I'm glad at least the vintage market is a lot easier.

Also, you need to physically take the instrument to an official port of exit. My nearest one is in LA, 775 miles away......

For Hawaii, Oahu is the only one.

Beau - that is smuggling/breaking the law and isn't the answer. The solution is: stop using CITES Appendix I and II materials or pay the dues. The sooner we start using material that is source locally in what could be argued as true "Hawaiian Tradition' the better. The Uk has three possibly woods - was ut, cherry and yew but you have to hunt high and low for figures and interest. In the US, the first is your oyster. There is so much lovely walnut, myrtle and other native speech not to mention all the spruce money can buy. You do not need Dalbergias!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Howlett View Post
    Beau - that is smuggling/breaking the law and isn't the answer.
    I didn't say or allude in any way to consciously breaking the law.

I simply said you can't do it legally without original receipts.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    Interesting.
    I'm glad at least the vintage market is a lot easier.

Also, you need to physically take the instrument to an official port of exit. My nearest one is in LA, 775 miles away......

For Hawaii, Oahu is the only one.
    We've got to make an appointment and drive 5 hours to Chicago. The inspection itself usually takes 5 minutes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Thread Information