Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Using thumb to fret

Smile

Hi, Jarmo_S!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    And steel string acoustic guitar players certainly use their thumb to mute the 6th string. It is considered a poor technique if some pick player don't use that.
    Actually we use thumb not only to mute the 6th string but also fret it (See the figure below) on acoustic guitar.

This is F chord. It is used for finger picking. We can use our pinkies for melody with this shape. This shape is movable too, hence it is very common shape but hard to play.

The thumb on the 4th string of Am on ukulele is similar to thumb on the 6th string of F on guitar.
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Quote Originally Posted by zztush View Post
    Hi, Jarmo_S!

Actually we use thumb not only to mute the 6th string but also fret it (See the figure below) on acoustic guitar.

This is F chord. It is used for finger picking. We can use our pinkies for melody with this shape. This shape is movable too, hence it is very common shape but hard to play.
    It is a bit on the borderline if that is acceptable in my "book". With right hand fingerpicking it can come of use. With strumming you would need to mute also the 5th string for it be of a truly movable chord. A true barre with index finger for that is best, for me. Anyways I concentrate lately more on uke

With guitar pick play I regularly thumb mute the 6th string when it is not having the root note or not belonging any notes to chord. But I make exception of not muting the 5th string with playing say D chord with root on 4th string (in guitar, G in uke) as a compromise of what is possible and anyways the open A belongs to the chord.
    For 5 string barres I mute the 6th string with my index finger, and thumb properly behind the neck same as them classical guitarists.
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; 10-28-2017 at 01:50 AM.

Nothing to fret over
    •Framus 6197 Tenor
    •Gretsch G9470 Clarophone Banjo Ukulele
    •Hadean UKB22 UBass Zebrawood
    •Ibanez Uew10qm Ew Concert
    •Kala KA-S Soprano
    •Kala KA-SSTU-T Travel Tenor
    •Kay Soprano (Plastic Fretboard 1950s)
    •Koalana Soprano (first gen.)
    •Lanakai LB6-S Soprano Banjolele
    •Lanakai LQA-C Concert
    •Lanakai LU21T Tenor
    •Luna Tattoo Electric Concert
    •Outdoor Ukulele Black #35
    •Outdoor Ukulele Transparent
    •Werco Metal Necked Soprano
    •Zeynel Abidin Cumbus Ukulele
    •Zither Heaven Cherry Banjo Ukulele Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    With guitar pick play I regularly thumb mute the 6th string when it is not having the root note or not belonging any notes to chord. But I make exception of not muting the 5th string with playing say D chord with root on 4th string (in guitar, G in uke) as a compromise of what is possible and anyways the open A belongs to the chord.
    I am bit curious why we do not mute 6th strings on open A? I don't mute. My books do not mute. People do not mute on the internet. I checked justinguitar. He doesn't mute either. Thumb location?
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Quote Originally Posted by zztush View Post
    I am bit curious why we do not mute 6th strings on open A? I don't mute. My books do not mute. People do not mute on the internet. I checked justinguitar. He doesn't mute either. Thumb location?
    You mean playing on guitar A-chord 002220? I don't know what other people do. I on a classical can't mute 6th string with my thumb while using 123 fingers, my fingers are too short for that wide neck. I can though with an acoustic guitar narrower neck, but I use 234 fingerng for both guitar neck types, and use a thumb muting. If you want play with pick like alternating bass, that is one good technique just in my opinion for that chord and in general.

Justin has his wierd A chord fingering, almost like D if I remember right. Anyways we are now on off-topic and don't serve any usable knowledge to ukulele only players.
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; 10-28-2017 at 02:32 AM.

The only problem I can see with this particular instance, with "no fingers down", is that you don't have a reference point to work from for your next chord change, so better chance of a mistake.

Further up the neck, as part of a multi-finger chord shape, no problem, if it works for you and doesn't impede your playing.

For this particular Am shape, I think a finger would be a safer bet.

Just my tuppence-worth ... YMMV
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Quote Originally Posted by kypfer View Post
    The only problem I can see with this particular instance, with "no fingers down", is that you don't have a reference point to work from for your next chord change, so better chance of a mistake.

Further up the neck, as part of a multi-finger chord shape, no problem, if it works for you and doesn't impede your playing.

For this particular Am shape, I think a finger would be a safer bet.

Just my tuppence-worth ... YMMV
    This is a great point, by using the thumb you may well hamper your next chord change or at least there will be a requirement to re-grip the neck. It's generally a good idea to minimize unnecessary movements of the fretting hand and search for the most economic fingering solutions
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Hi, Camsuke!

I have never met any decent ukuele or guitar player who plays with left thumb strictly behind neck when standing play except for you and kohanmike.

Jake's grip doesn't require unnecessary movement.
    Last edited by zztush; 10-28-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: added kohanmike
    Kamaka HF-1 100

One thing to mention is you can’t move this shape down to Bm or Cm if you’re doing a thumbed Am
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Hi, igorthebarbarian!

Quote Originally Posted by igorthebarbarian View Post
    One thing to mention is you can’t move this shape down to Bm or Cm if you’re doing a thumbed Am
    Long barre chords require thumb behind the neck on guitar and ukulele including even rock and jazz guitarists. That is not curious at all. I just curious the person who can play with left thumb strictly behind neck when standing play. I have never met such decent guitar player except for Camsuke and kohanmike.
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Thread Information