Season 298 - Walking to New Orleans

Rustyy

Reaction score

G'day all,

I decided on this theme for season 298 a few weeks ago, and today I read in the newspaper of the passing of Fats Domino, so the theme now has added relevance.

In 2005 my wife and I went on around the world trip, and one of the highlights for me was attending the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

We were only in the US to take in the festival, and so this week I am dedicating to New Orleans, and our visit to Jazzfest.

So this week there will be a 4 song limit.
The first three songs can be submitted in any order, the themes which I will now outline.

Theme 1: Any song by any musician that comes from New Orleans, or lives in New Orleans, or has lived in New Orleans, or has recorded in New Orleans (it doesn’t matter if the song in your entry was recorded there or not, as long as they have recorded there).

Theme 2: Any song that mentions New Orleans, or Louisiana, or any other city or feature of Louisiana in the lyrics.
Here is a wikipedia list for New Orleans
Here is a forum about songs from Louisiana

Theme 3: Any song by any of the artists that appeared at Jazzfest in New Orleans in 2005. It is difficult to find a definitive list but I will list the artists that I know, or can remember from our visit, below the playlist

Song 4: can be submitted after you have submitted an entry from all of the first three themes, and can be a second song from any one of those themes.

Some songs will cross over between themes so please tell me which theme you are representing with each song

Now, I’m not an aficionado of New Orleans music, so I would appreciate a small explanation in the text, or the preamble of the video, if anything is a bit obscure. I would like to learn from this week, too.

All the usual rules apply regarding start times. Remember there is still a day to go for The Cloverdale Kid’s excellent season. I believe Europe ends Summer Time this weekend, (thanks, Paul) so the timing will be a little different for some.

A couple of things I didn’t mention in my introductory video, song writers are, of course, welcome to submit songs that they have penned.
They can submit them on the topic of any festival, or concert, they have attended, and the artists they have seen, or the experience they have had, or perhaps write a song with cajun style. If that is too restrictive, PM me with any ideas relating to this weeks theme.

I won’t be providing any prizes this week, so all you are playing for is the joy of submitting songs for the Seasons.

I hope you all enjoy the week and that there are sufficient choices for your entries. Have Fun!

PLAYLIST Season 298 Walking to New Orleans here

Artists from 2005
I saw about 16 of the artists listed below, and I’m surprised that some of the others listed were even there because I have no recollections of them at all. Never mind though, if anybody can find a definitive list of performers , please post it. One link I found led me to an incorrect list.

(There were many other artists as well as those below, but these are the major acts, and the ones I remember. I didn’t see all of these, by the way, it was just too much to take in everything)

Allen Toussaint
B.B. King
Barenaked Ladies
Black Crowes
Brian Wilson
Buddy Guy
Charlie Musselwhite
Cowboy Mouth
Dave Matthews Band
Dixie Cups
Dr. John
Elvis Costello
Eric Lindell
G. Love & Special Sauce
Irma Thomas
Jack Johnson
James Taylor
John Butler Trio
Los Lonely Boys
Magnolia Sisters
Meters
Nelly,
Neville Brothers
Nickel Creek
North Mississippi Allstars
Old Crow Medicine Show
Radiators
Randy Newman
Snooks Eaglin
Steve Riley and The Mamou Playboys
Steve Winwood
Susan Cowsill
Susan Tedeschi
Toots & The Maytals
Wilco

Last edited:
Last edited:
Theme 2: Any song that mentions New Orleans, or Louisiana, or any other city or feature of Louisiana in the lyrics.
Here is a wikipedia list for New Orleans
Here is a forum about songs from Louisiana

Did you mean to attach a link to these Rusty?

This is a wonderful theme. Hoping to get something in!

Yes, thanks Paul. I did see this list and I think it is correct, but incomplete. We definitely saw James Taylor, and Jack Johnson. We did miss a day in the second week due to inclement weather, I can’t believe now I missed the chance to see Old Crow Medicine Show, although I probably hadn’t heard of them at the time. Also I can’t believe I didn’t go to see B.B. King. There must have been something good on one of the other stages. Oh well, you pay your money and you take your chance.

BTW anything from this list that I missed is certainly an acceptable entry.

Last edited:
Did you mean to attach a link to these Rusty?

This is a wonderful theme. Hoping to get something in!

Yikes, the links didn’t work because I just cut and pasted them. I’ll fix it now
and I forgot to add the list of artists from 2005

and now ... all fixed, I hope

Last edited:
great theme! i've already learnt to how to pronounce it right (NOT like in house of the rising sun!) and i haven't even started working on a song! this is gonna be a super educational week :rock:

great theme! i've already learnt to how to pronounce it right (NOT like in house of the rising sun!) and i haven't even started working on a song! this is gonna be a super educational week :rock:

Perhaps that is where I got my pronunciation education from, too, that and the Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton

Perhaps that is where I got my pronunciation education from, too, that and the Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton

Funny thing is, one song I want to do is from a New Orleans artist who pronounces it "wrong" (so that everything rhymes :D )

This song by Chris Ardoin and NuStep Zydeco is one of my favorite songs of this year. But I can't find the lyrics anywhere, and can't make out a few of them, so I won't be playing it.

Last edited:
Rusty, I've attended a N'Awlins Jazz Fest, too. Back in the late 90's at the Louis Armstrong Racetrack. Fantastic time. Incredible music. You're returned me to lots of amazing memories. Great theme and thank you for hosting! Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Let the good times roll, indeed

Funny, I've got a recording of John Butler Trio live at Jazzfest 2005. Something from there ought to work, right?

Just realised I'd cited the same link as hendulele. However, thanks to the magic of the wayback machine, here are the "Artists' Bios" of the 500+ (!!!!) performers at the 2005 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival: New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival: Music Makers 2005

You can find each day's lineups here, but I think it'll be easier to look through the artist bios!

Seems like you can use this interweb thingy better than I can, Paul. The artist bios only seems to list A-B, but the other link is a good one.
I missed the second Saturday. I suspect I was watching Jack Johnson when B.B. King was on. Probably not my best choice altho Jack was very good. I didn't have complete control over what I saw due to my wife having some input as well. Mostly that input was "I'd sooner stay here than walk to the other end of the fairgounds"

Yes, thanks Paul. I did see this list and I think it is correct, but incomplete. We definitely saw James Taylor, and Jack Johnson. We did miss a day in the second week due to inclement weather, I can’t believe now I missed the chance to see Old Crow Medicine Show, although I probably hadn’t heard of them at the time. Also I can’t believe I didn’t go to see B.B. King. There must have been something good on one of the other stages. Oh well, you pay your money and you take your chance.

The festival actually ran over 2 separate (but consecutive weekends): Friday Apr 22-Sunday Apr 24; & then Thursday Apr 28 - Sunday May1. BB King was on on the Thursday (28th). Old Crow Medicine Show were on on my (50th!) birthday, Saturday Apr 30th, 2005. I can't believe you failed to celebrate that auspicious date appropriately :eek:

The festival actually ran over 2 separate (but consecutive weekends): Friday Apr 22-Sunday Apr 24; & then Thursday Apr 28 - Sunday May1. BB King was on on the Thursday (28th). Old Crow Medicine Show were on on my (50th!) birthday, Saturday Apr 30th, 2005. I can't believe you failed to celebrate that auspicious date appropriately :eek:

Maybe I did, and that's why I missed it haha

Funny, I've got a recording of John Butler Trio live at Jazzfest 2005. Something from there ought to work, right?

Yes Robin, of course we went to see John Butler, and there were quite a few other Aussies there, all waving their cans of U.S. Fosters beer in the air (Fosters was one of the two brands available). John Butler put on a fantastic show and I heard many of the locals raving about him afterwards.

Seems like you can use this interweb thingy better than I can, Paul. The artist bios only seems to list A-B, but the other link is a good one. "
Aw sorry, yes so I see. When the page loads, there's a moment when it looks like all the letters of the alphabet will flash up, but I guess Wayback only took a snapshot of the first page. Sorry about that. Fortunately, it seems like the whole of the artist lineups were recorded. To avoid confusion, I've gone back and edited my OP.

I missed the second Saturday. I suspect I was watching Jack Johnson when B.B. King was on. Probably not my best choice altho Jack was very good. I didn't have complete control over what I saw due to my wife having some input as well. Mostly that input was "I'd sooner stay here than walk to the other end of the fairgounds"

Hahaha. I've walked in them shoes :) The second Saturday, of course, is when Old Crow Medicine Show were on.

Last edited:
I have a question about theme 2. I'm thinking about playing the title song from an album that the artist says was inspired by New Orleans in general, and Jazzfest in particular. It mentions marching bands and describes the atmosphere of New Orleans, but doesn't specifically mention any places. Would this be allowed?

I have a question about theme 2. I'm thinking about playing the title song from an album that the artist says was inspired by New Orleans in general, and Jazzfest in particular. It mentions marching bands and describes the atmosphere of New Orleans, but doesn't specifically mention any places. Would this be allowed?

Sure Robin, that could come under the features of New Orleans or Louisiana, no problem.

Top Bottom