Season 298 - Walking to New Orleans

Something most of you wouldn't know about me--I am a native of New Orleans. I will bring it this week!
Beware....

This is going to be a fun and (for me, at least) challenging theme, Russ. Thanks for all the useful links!

This is going to be a fun and (for me, at least) challenging theme, Russ. Thanks for all the useful links!

Don't forget there are songs like jambalaya, Cajun songs, Lucinda Williams has a heap that mention places in Louisiana, songs about Mardi Gras, songs about Lake Pontchatrain, some songs about hurricanes (1927).

Songs by Frankie Ford, Randy Newman, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, Marcia Ball. I'd love to hear something by Cowboy Mouth, one of the most entertaining groups I saw

Seasons Greeting Seasonistas :)

A song for Theme 2 .. Mention of New Orleans in this Song ...
House of the Rising Sun , made famously known by "The Animals".
This song has an interesting History, which I found out about last year when looking for information on the song, as I wanted to learn it on Guitar.
I've done this version, performed using my Electric Soprano scale Uke, The Ukebird ...

If you desire, follow the Link, and have a read about the interesting history of this song ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_WFJVXYPWA

Thank You,
and Happy Ukeing Folks :)

Last edited:
My first song is for theme one.
"I Hear You Knocking" (or "I Hear You Knockin'") is a rhythm and blues song written by Dave Bartholomew. New Orleans rhythm and blues singer Smiley Lewis first recorded the song in 1955. The lyrics tell of the return of a former lover who is rebuffed and Huey "Piano" Smith provided the prominent piano accompaniment in the style associated with Fats Domino.
It was also certainly recorded by Fats Domino as well because i came across it in a Best Of Fats Domino collection..

The minute I saw The Black Crowes on the list for number 3 I knew I had to do this. Been meaning to try it for ages now, it's originally by Otis Redding but I know the Black Crowes version better. Otis played it in A# but I've gone with the key the Crowes played it in, B.

Really great theme Rusty

Did this one a few years back,its an obvious choice but fits the bill.Its an instrumental version but I'm sure there will be some vocal versions submitted.

Roy Byrd, aka Professor Longhair, New Orleans legend, who had a series of regional hits in the '40s and '50s. The New Orleans/Louisiana piano players who became bigger later on (Fats, Dr. John, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis) drew heavily from his style. As a teenager, Dr. John was the guitarist in the Professor's band. His voice cracked, he whistled, and yodeled, and kicked the side of his piano for percussion, so he was a little too edgy for white audiences in the day and never broke through outside N.O. until very late in his life, when Dr. John started playing more and more of Longhair's music and Ol' Roy got a recording contract and a regular gig at Tipitina's, a restaurant and bar named after one of his early local hits. He won a Grammy posthumously for an album with Dr. John in the band, once again playing guitar. I love Professor Longhair. If you're in the U.S., a current commercial campaign for Coca-Cola about hamburgers has this song in the background.

P.S. As I think about it, this entry could fit two of the three categories. So I'm going to figure out which one to stick it in after I do more songs! Make it Theme 1, since Professor Longhair was a N'Awlins legend.

Last edited:
Theme 2: Musicians who wrote songs about Louisiana (and in this case, performed there often).

Hank Williams was a bit of a scoundrel, if you didn't know. He was rejected for the Grand Ole Opry early on because of his drinking, so he performed on the Louisiana Hayride radio and TV program in Shreveport. After having several monster hits, the Opry finally welcomed him, but then kicked him out again. And he went back to Louisiana Hayride. Jambalaya was one of the last songs he recorded before his tragic death (recounted in the Dave Alvin song "Long White Cadillac," which was a big hit for Dwight Yoakum).

Anyway, enough of my banter. This song's about cajun food, drinking out of the fruit jar, and wooing your sweetheart at a big party.

298 theme 1

I saw Harry Connick Jr. was on the list so I checked out the songs he's done and this classic which I'd not done before was on that list. And it's in the Daily Ukulele Songbook.

298 Theme 2

I used to do this song with the Dixieland band so I pulled out our old Jamey Aebersold Jazz book. Harry Connick Jr. also did this song so it's a double theme song (one and two).

Dr John appeared at the Jazzfest in New Orleans in 2005.
This is a song I used to play with the Dixieland Band but I didn't sing it. The bass player did. So nows my chance!

I would like a bit of clarification/help:

"Theme 1: Any song by any musician that comes from New Orleans, or lives in New Orleans, or has lived in New Orleans, or has recorded in New Orleans (it doesn’t matter if the song in your entry was recorded there or not, as long as they have recorded there)."

New Orleans artists open up for a lot of nice jazz tunes. As a lot of jazz tunes are standards, covered by a gazillion different artists, that would probably mean that all standard jazz tunes ever written has been covered by a New Orleans jazz artist at some point. I am sure that applying the Thornton rule, any jazz standard will hence do, but I assume that the intended/best fit for the theme would be a song written by a new Orleans artist, or originally recorded by one?

Which leads to the next question:
Does anybody have a link to some lists of jazz standards originating in New Orleans?
My googling has so far tought me that Louis Armstrong was from New Orleans and has written 50 songs, but I can't even find a list of those songs.

Written by Allen Toussaint, who was from New Orleans. Recorded by Frankie Ford, who was also from New Orleans. Also recorded by some other guy who was not.

Thanks Rusty! Now I have an excuse to try and learn another song in Cajun French!
:smileybounce:

Last edited:
Always loved this song, and thought that New Orleans native Frankie Ford was a really dynamic performer. Plus I've been doing fun rockabilly stuff on TCK's Season, so why not keep it going? Legit first take here, even rehearsal wise, so not perfect, but I was enjoying the vibe so I kept it.

Jimmy C Newman is one of my favorite singers, so I knew I had to do Louisiana country Cajun song by him this week. This tune isn't well known, but it's pretty slick I think, and I've been wanting to work it up for awhile now. Got frustrated with the picking part on this one, couldn't seem to stick it the way I wanted to consistently.

Top Bottom