Season 299 - New Kids On The Block

Alma is a 21-year-old Finnish singer-songwriter, who released her debut EP in October 2016. This year she has released a couple of singles, Elton John declared to be her fan and Billboard just interviewed her.

Here is my cover of Alma's song "Dye My Hair". If the original has been called "soft punk", my version is "very soft punk". :p And last time I checked, Alma's hair was neon yellow. :)

Ya that is weird. There was two of them for a short time :/ Thanks for putting it up :)

I noticed two threads right at the beginning which was a little weird. I didn't give it much thought as I was just off to bed. It's usually late evening here when new seasons go up.

Here's another song that's been recorded by the Young'uns - also written by a local songwriter, Graeme Miles.

I may have said some of this before but here goes again. Graeme Miles was born in Kent but grew up in North East England. He set out to document Teesside and the area roundabout in song and has written songs both about the Industrial Teesside and the beauty of the North York Moors, a National Park just to the South.

The English Folk Song and Dance Society awarded Graeme their gold medal on the basis of his song writing and its celebration of this area.

This song kind of straddles both his themes dealing with the attraction to young agricultural workers of going to work in the Iron and Steel industry (more money).

Last edited:
It's been a great Season so far! Please check the playlist (link in the intro) to make sure I have captured all of your videos.

Greetings,

I decided to record a song by "Highly Suspect" called "Little One". Got carried away with amps and some distortion on my guitalele and came up with this. It's not my typical sound but eh...I kind of liked it.

Ciao

Ok here’s some chaos I’m going to try to pass off as my 2nd entry. Em requested it as it’s currently her favorite song. I wrote the rap part, so of course it isn’t very good. 😂

Shut Eye -- Stealing Sheep

A decade ago, a co-worker turned me on to a weekly new music podcast on KEXP in Seattle. KEXP Music That Matters podcast I've been listening to it ever since, and it's introduced me to a ton of bands. One of them was a trio from Liverpool called Stealing Sheep, who first recorded in 2011. I've bought two of their albums since then. This was the first song I heard from them, on the KEXP podcast.

a song by a couple of new kids on the block
played by a couple of new kids on the block
who made new duo today.
now that's new, right? :)

My chosen new kid is Rebecca Ferguson a British singer and songwriter who came to prominence in 2010 when was runner up in the Uk X factor.This song is from her album"lady sings the blues" a tribute to Billie Holliday.Played on my guitalele tuned in e,on the top four strings as a baritone Uke

I was torn this week on whether to do this song myself or set Recovering Bassist onto it because it seemed right up his street. Then I thought, por que no los dos?

Turns out he'd heard of them and gladly agreed to lend me some banjo uke. Guzzler' s already done a great version of this too but here is ours. Unfortunately in the midst of processing or editing or something Trent's been transported back to a 1970s kung foo film. He sounds good though!

Hi, Fred! My only excuse for this is that it's been raining all day and I've been stuck inside. I was thinking that Bon Iver would qualify as being post-2010, but they were just slightly too early; however it has been covered by many newer artists since 2010.

My favorite vocalist right now is a guy named Puddles Pity Party. Really. He did this Sia song on his debut 2015 album, "Live At Joe's Pub." Boy, I wish I could sing like that guy.

I thought for sure that this would be one of those Seasons that I just could not find a number for. And then I remembered - a couple of months ago, in a particular mood, I worked out a crummy arrangement by a relatively new artist. It didn't seem to be coming together, so I let it languish.

Then this Season topic. I looked the fellow up, and his first real record was in 2011. Hooray! Too bad my version stunk.

But I went back to it and I think it came out OK. And I think Ed Sheeran is a talented guy, regardless of his massive popularity, and I really like this song a lot. I added a bit of a line, appropriate for those of us closer to 70 than 23, and it's a live take, complete with mistake. But hope you like it.

I'm pretty out of the scene, new music-wise, especially locally. So I enterd "best new portland music" into a search engine, and I found out about the Lithics. They sound great, so I did my best to work up a uke version of Excuse Generator.

Thanks for the new music challenge, Fred, it's always fun to check new sounds!

We formed "The Saturday Blues Project" after said date, so I thought of doing one of our songs. Then I was looking through old files of our early stuff and came across a rough take of a song that we never developed into our repertory. Revisiting it, I thought it deserved a wider audience and I will now put pressure on the lads to get it revived with the band too.

So, I took the rough rehearsal mix and added a Uke Bass and a 6 String Tenor as well as doubling the original vocal. I also had to edit the structure a little as in the version I had there is a space left for a sax solo.

I think this was in my head back when we laid down the first draft because the theme of that week's season was Nursery Rhymes. However as I wrote something else for that week and the band never developed the song beyond a rough draft, I think I ran out of time to include it on that season. So as this season isn't theme related, but rather band related, I thought I'd include it here.

PS In case you'd like to hear more of our band, our first albums are available on both Bandcamp and Spotify. Just type "The Saturday Blues Project" into the search engines there.

Who knows? Maybe someone who is stuck this week might even do a cover of another song of ours from one of those albums. If so, I can provide you with lyrics and chords.

Top Bottom