Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to work ..almost

Default Back to work ..almost

Finaly got over the manflu bug..went into the freezing workshop this morning switched on the heating and dehumidifier set the Foxy bender up for work ..waited an hour or so for the place warm up ..then got out a pair of cuban mahogany sides that I sanded down to size a month ago lightly sprayed them with water wrapped them in foil and when the temp was right I put them in the bender and gently lowed the upper caul..I left the sides in the bender for a while to set..and when i took them out they had both cracked across the waist ..I'm now back in the house trying to decide what to do next.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    ..I'm now back in the house trying to decide what to do next.
    The sun is over the yard arm so I'd recommend a glass of wine / beer.

Yes, a pint...or 2
    John

Manflu , ..........I had to look that one up , never heard it before.
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

From my own experience I can testify that the manflu is traumatic for us men. Even after it passes it takes awhile to regain our vigor and confidence. Take a little more time to regain your strength and normal virile fortitude. You'll be fine, and wood will -- once again -- bend to your liking.
    Robert Edney
    Robert@ElixirViolins.com

Much more interested in playing the ukulele than making violins just now...

This sounds a lot like a case if UBDS or Ukulele Building Depressive Syndrome. Symptoms of UBDS commonly occur after a building failure and may leave the sufferer debilitated with feelings of hopelessness and sometimes, in advanced cases, feelings of intense self loathing. UBDS sufferers often report waking up in the middle of the night with heavy sighs. There is no cure for UBDS other than intensive psychotherapy involving centering on the 7th chakra. As a fellow UBDS sufferer I send you my condolences. (Deep sigh).

Yes! it's defo UBDS...Things got worse yesterday afternoon , after my disterous start on the bending I decided to do a bit of resawing of tops and backs...I set up the bandsaw with a brand new blade, adjusted the fence to cut 4mm slices and I dug out a nice 40mm thick billet of honduran mahogany that I had been saving..Every thing was set just as it should be to the book and I commenced sawing..Then disaster struck, the new blade was rubbish rough cutting ,cupping, viberations, drifting, I got the lot I tried sanding in between slices but I was losing too much material in the end I only got 4 slices that I could use, instead of the 5-6 slices per inch that I expected..I guess I was not in the right frame of mind yet..and on top of all that the weather is now getting much colder in the UK and standing at the bandsaw and sander for an hour or so just aggravated the arthritis in my knees..and I ended up with stiff painfull joints for the rest of the day ....But today after a good nights sleep (helped with a bottle of the red stuff) I went back with a vengence changed over the blade, turned up the heating....and in the end I managed to get enough sets sawn and sanded to get me off to a good start next year and maybe a couple of sopranos before Xmas.
    Last edited by Timbuck; 11-07-2017 at 01:04 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I thought I'd have another go at bending another pair of sides... just removed them from the bender..Cracked again.....I think I know what the problem is now, I didn't set the workshop clock back an hour at the end of October, and i've been working in the wrong time zone.

Finaly got out of the Doldrums and made start..These two are both ok so far..But there are a load of scrapped rejected and broken parts in the bin.
    PICT0049 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    Last edited by Timbuck; 11-09-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Did that Glen Moray container play a role in this sad saga? Were you self medicating with the single malt?

John Colter

Thread Information