Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What made you start playing Ukulele?

Default What made you start playing Ukulele?

Everyone has a story for why they picked up the ukulele. What was your moment that made you want to learn the instrument?

Quote Originally Posted by rayan View Post
    What was your moment that made you want to learn the instrument?
    aldrines "bandito tyler"! since that day i was falling in love with da uke

greetz!

my sis went to hawaii and when she came back she had bought herself an ovation uke and for me she had gotten a Lankai uke. Ever since i strummed my first chord with it i fell in love with the sound and it is soo portable that you can take it with you anywhere unlike my guitar.

friend of mine got me listening to opihi pickers when i first moved to hawaii and loved da uke sound ever since.

In a tiny rock in the middle of the sea :D

Ka'au crater boys and Pure Heart were my inspiration to play the ukulele.

Plus... I have to be honest... I wanted to get good at the uke to gain attention back in high school hahaha. Now, it's a lot more personal and an outlet for any ideas and emotions I have at the moment. The uke has been my best friend since the first strum
    GET AWESOME!
    Eater of all chocolate.
    YouTube UkuleleOVERSOUL

My older cousin really liked giving me hand-me-down stuff when I was young - I got his old Atari when he upgraded to Nintendo, and he gave me his old no-name-brand soprano when he got a solid koa uke. So I'm pretty sure I started because of that. The first song I figured out and learned to pick was Iz's intro to Take Me Home Country Road. Not very impressive, but I remember feeling really empowered for figuring out a real song. Still chasing that feeling ...

During my 10th grade year i took a class at my high school. i took it because its a cruise class and i had these ukuleles that i had no clue how to play so i figured id give it a try. i learned the basics in that class and by the time the school year was over could play songs like "Put a little loving" and "You dont miss your water". i continued to play during my 11th grade year and alot of my friends are pretty good. they started teaching me songs like "Guava Jam", White sandy beach", etc. they also taught me how to read tabs and through the internet i started to learn on my own. sites like youtube and iamhawaii with videos also helped as i learned alot of those songs by ear or through lessons. now almost midway through my 12th grade year im the one teaching them the songs lol.

i started playing the Ukulele when i looked up on Youtube and found Jake.
    I thought it was a guitar!! Never knew what a ukulele was.
    Now im in love with them.
    Haven't had any lessons with guitar nor ukuleles, Self taught and hoping to learn more through this site!!

Cheers!
    Last edited by grappler; 01-08-2008 at 01:51 AM.

Wellllllllll, it all started back in high school (couple months ago) when I saw Aldrine's youtube vid for summer breeze. So I jetted to the stankin nearest guitar center and bought myself a 37$ uke (currently using). I'm still noob

My younger brother always played ukulele as far back as i can remember and oddly enough I was the only one in my family who didn't play some type of music. That all changed when i picked up the uke in 10th grade. It started off as a way to entertain my friends, i'd write funny songs to make them laugh but eventually i grew a genuine love for playing.

My first uke was a concert size Kamaka that belonged to my family. Everyone was surprised that i was playing and my brother saw it as a way to compete with his older brother. I learned the same way most of you did: constant watching, listening and imitating. Though many ukulele players found inspiration in ukulele-powered songs I found myself constantly incorporating my passion for R&B and Hip-Hop, something that i attribute my playing style to.

A year later, a teacher at my school who happened to be a musician gave me a Sonny D tenor as a gift and encouraged me to keep playing. It definitely kept me motivated and that ukulele would go on to help write dozens of songs. Sadly, it was stolen a few years ago but i'll never forget how much it changed it my life.

Thread Information