What made you start playing Ukulele?

My mom bought a Harmony Baritone for a music education class she took in college when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I used to sit on mom and dad's bed with the bari, a felt pick and Mel Bay's "Fun With The Baritone Ukulele" and strum away. From there I moved to the guitar, but I have restrung and played the bari many times. When I was in seminary and spending some nights away from home I wanted something to play without hauling a guitar back and forth all the time. The bari wasn't handy and Music Folk in St. Louis had some Hilos for $35 or so.

They also had a tiki Flea, some other Fleas, and some Flukes.

You can guess the rest.....

When i heard jake play Uke Weeps i was mesmerized, then i heard aldrine jam a few times, and i was convinced, i got my Mitchell MU-70 november 3rd of 08 and i'm still jammin away on it. ;)

oh, and plus my friend ethan played it and he said it gets him ladies ;)

Last edited:
I just started playing the uke a mth ago.

JULIA NUNES is my main reason that made me interested in the instrument.

'50 first dates' too.

My fingers are getting stiffer (and slower) as I'm getting older. Guitar playing isn't as fun as it used to be. I bought a Tenor Uke with the thought of tuning it down to baritone tuning and playing what guitar pieces I know without the long stretches or 5th-6th string reaches.

Once the guitar jam session I was planning to attend broke up, I restrung my Tenor back to where it belongs and have been playing along to Aldrine and other YouTube videos ever since.

I only started with uke about 3 months ago, although I have quite a bit of experience on banjo, clarinet, and guitar.

I have been doing recordings for a few years, but I was getting disenchented with guitar backgrounds as they've been turning out a little heavy. I wanted a nice light, clean strum. And also I wanted to have something small to take to work, the laundromat, etc.

Anyway, I ordered a Pono mahogany soprano, and loved the sound, as well as the convenience and ease of playing.

My h.s. is full of Filipinos and P.I.s and the uke was so common. Since football season ended and was my senior year, I wanted to do something that would keep me busy. I wanted to play an instrument and was stuck with the decision of either guitar or ukulele. I chose ukulele just cause it had fewer strings haha. And now I can't put mine down. I've been playing for 8 months now, owning three ukuleles of every size except a baritone.

I went to Hawaii

Two years ago, on the way back from the volcano we stopped to eat at a cafe by a high school. All the kids came down for lunch and started jamming on their ukes. I thought to myself "I would like to do that." It was a beautiful day and the players were pretty good. Of course, I will probably never play that well and I don't know when I'll get back to Hawaii, but when I pick up my Ohana that memory has a lot to do with how happy playing makes me.

Top Bottom