Would you leave instruments out during fumigation?

I would not risk it. Just take them out or place them in the garage. Can you become a really frustrating situation to have termites in the house. It's not only about the ukulele which are very valuable to me as I have spent a lot of money buying them, but it's also about the whole structure of the house itself. I really think it's better to just get a pest control services person to deal with them instead of risking having them feasting on all kinds of wood! That expensive to get a treatment after all in Australia.

Last edited:
Interesting thread, but it may not just be about termites...
I custom built some cherry cabinets for a condo a while back. Turns out one of the boards I used had worms. I tried all sorts of treatments but couldn't get rid them. I would have a fresh pile of wood dust every week or so ( I wasn't there every day).
The building my condo was in came up positive for termites so it was tented.
Never had a problem with worms after that!
Now I have an old violin, in need of work, but also infested with worms. I do not want to attempt repairs until the worm situation is resolved.
Anybody in central Florida going to have their home fumigated? Love to here from you...

I would be much more worried about the termites getting into instruments that are left out over night. Get yourself some good carbon fibre cases and keep your ukes locked away until you are sure that the termites are gone.

No way I'd risk smelling termite spray inside my ukes, instead of the various sweet wood vapors. I'd move them for sure, just to be sure. case.
I don't know what kind of tent fumigation they use in your locality. Here in Hawaii they use a gas, not a spray. When dispersed throughout a house, the gas is odorless. Bedding, clothes in closets, deep pile carpets -- none of them manifest any odor whatsoever.

My ukulele room has 22 ukes hanging on the walls. I left them there. They were not visibly affected in any way, & the cedar tops etc retained all their delightful aroma.

However, I agree with Ukecaster from this standpoint -- if I had only a few ukuleles, I definitely would have taken them with me to the hotel.

If you turn your ukes over and shake them and find that dusty powder falls out, then yes, leave them for the treatment. Otherwise, I would be like Linus and take them with me.

-Wiggy

Leave the cases (and your shoes & socks) behind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom