The Electric Uke Thread

Just discovered this thread! I've been digging me some electric uke for around a year now! Originally had a Risa baby Les Paul. I loved the tone, but found the string spacing at the saddle a bit tight for my taste. Now I have a Monkey Wrench (19" scale) tuned GCEA, and Mann Tenor guitar (21.4" scale) converted to baritone tuning, but tuned up a step to EAC#F#.

IMG_5598.jpg
IMG_5697.jpg
IMG_5813.jpg

I am thinking about getting an Amplug 2 bass for my risa stick.

‘"Bass’ is modeled on VOX’s classic AC100 bass amp, and expands its potential with a full-range tone that supports today’s bass sounds. A compressor/boost effect provides not just compression but also a thick overdrive sound, giving you the perfect tones for performing in any style. Careful attention has been paid to the sound quality, and a high-quality FET buffer circuit has been used to obtain even greater dynamic range. "

The FET circuitry for the high impedance piezo output and the rhythm section are attractive.

Someone want to try to talk me out of it?

Last edited:

‘"Bass’ is modeled on VOX’s classic AC100 bass amp, and expands its potential with a full-range tone that supports today’s bass sounds. A compressor/boost effect provides not just compression but also a thick overdrive sound, giving you the perfect tones for performing in any style. Careful attention has been paid to the sound quality, and a high-quality FET buffer circuit has been used to obtain even greater dynamic range. "

The FET circuitry for the high impedance piezo output and the rhythm section are attractive.

Someone want to try to talk me out of it?

well the thing with electric ukes is, pretty much every piece of equipment applicable to electric guitar applies.
so it's nothing substantial nor out of the ordinary

I am thinking about getting an Amplug 2 bass for my risa . . . Someone want to try to talk me out of it?

I had the same thought and bought a Vox AP2-BS to use with my acoustic-electric ukes. I don’t regret the purchase; it’s a useful practice tool in the right circumstances.

many fine electric ukes exhibited here. I had a soprano Risa stick that I regret selling off to be able to afford my brother's electric bass. In two months I will be setting a deadline to buy another electric uke. I have to put it off slightly longer than I thought due to needing to get my young kitty fixed and sending birthday money to my son in Colorado.

Anyways, here is a photo of my pedal collection so far:

IMG_0977.jpg

I had the same thought and bought a Vox AP2-BS to use with my acoustic-electric ukes. I don’t regret the purchase; it’s a useful practice tool in the right circumstances.

Is there much noise with it? My AC30 (original version) was somewhat noisy...

And not too bass-heavy?

Last edited:
I had. Vorzon LP which buzzed like crazy. It now resides in a landfill.
I had a tenor Risa LP which I sold (wish that I hadn’t).
Currently own a Ko’olau CE-1 strung with Worth Clear and Thomas strings. I rarely play it as I usually play acoustic locations. It’s handy for traveling and quiet practicing.

Last edited:

And not too bass-heavy?

It can be noisy on certain settings...but if you’re using headphones, you probably aren’t going to crank it too high. The bass response is fine; It seems voiced for headphones or earphones that provide some bass boost and can be a sound trebly through more transparent cans.

As long as you use passive pickups, it does what it does well enough and is a great way to practice your plugged-in technique.

I have that amplug and it's wonderful for my bass. Why choose it over a regular amplug 2 for a Risa?

And not too bass-heavy?

The second generation of amplugs vastly improved that very thing.

Did you select a AMPlug Bass in order to play Rockabilly? Some Rockabilly artists use a Fender Bassman, which is why I ask.

I selected an AMPlug AC30, and struggled with it. The press once, press twice, press three times on an unmarked button seems awkward to me. It’s a bit like fiddling with a digital watch.

I later purchased an Xvive GA-5 Headphone Delay and thought it provided better sound options (for what I was looking for). It’s also easier to set the amount of echo and time.

I’m also considering one of those PockRock Multi-Effects Processors.

On-board preamp, as opposed to passive.

Question meant for bachettadavid

Aremick, I’ve not used it with an active pickup. It has three selectable gain levels, but I’m not sure how well it would work with an active pickup even on its lowest setting.

You may want to proceed with caution if you plan to play active pickups through it and listen using standard headphones or earbuds. There’s a chance that you could blow out a speaker.

I recently picked up a Vorson steel string electric Telecaster style in black. Do you use a plectrum? Or do you fingerpick/hand strum?

It hurts to try to pluck bare-fingered, like I'm trying to plan razor wire. Any suggestions? Or do I need to just toughen up?

The "strings" a Vorson comes with really are like razor wire. I compared mine to a cheese slicer. I recommend better strings.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean you necessarily need extra-heavy strings. Billy Gibbons, B.B. King, and many others recommend much lighter-weight strings than guitarists today traditionally buy. Their goal is to find a string which is light enough to be easy on the fretting hand while at the same time not being too "floppy" to tune. Billy Gibbons even sells a line of such strings.

You certainly can use a pick, and you can pick/strum with your fingers. Depends on the type of music you play and the tone you want.

Top Bottom