Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: The Electric Uke Thread

My preferred way to play steel strings is with a light pick. too painful not to, for me.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    My preferred way to play steel strings is with a light pick.
    Is that anything like a light sabre?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I dunno much about steel strings nor magnetic pickups. Are they a problem with reentrant tuning? Aren't the pickups usually slanted, emphasising the bass of the lowest string, the 4th? And isn't the height usually adjustable only from the ends? Or should it have a pickup with the screwable pole pieces?

And of course, the brigde had better be adjustable. And nut maybe changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupu View Post
    I dunno much about steel strings nor magnetic pickups. Are they a problem with reentrant tuning? Aren't the pickups usually slanted, emphasising the bass of the lowest string, the 4th? And isn't the height usually adjustable only from the ends? Or should it have a pickup with the screwable pole pieces?

And of course, the brigde had better be adjustable. And nut maybe changed.
    No issues with re-entrant (or any tuning) with regards steel strings and magnetic pickups.
    Whether you have the pickups slanted, split, adjusted, screwable, etc is all a matter of preference and decisions the manufacturer has made.

Another way of looking at it is, steel string electric ukuleles are basically small electric guitars.
    The same concepts and plethora of design options apply.

Quote Originally Posted by kissing View Post
    No issues with re-entrant (or any tuning) with regards steel strings and magnetic pickups.
    Whether you have the pickups slanted, split, adjusted, screwable, etc is all a matter of preference and decisions the manufacturer has made.

Another way of looking at it is, steel string electric ukuleles are basically small electric guitars.
    The same concepts and plethora of design options apply.
    Yes, but I thought the electric guitar designs were mainly aimed for tunings that run from lowest (4) to highest (1). But like I said, I know little about this.

What has also pointed me in that direction is the fact that I haven't come across any steel string ukulele (nor tenor guitar) that came tuned reentrant. Which is not the case with solid or semi-solid body nylon string ukes.

Maybe the manufacturers think they will more likely be played much like an electric guitar: with a pick, no fingerstyle, campanella nor drone strumming, etc? And the sound will be mofe similar to electric guitar too, without the high notes both beginning and ending the strums.

At night when everyone is asleep I can plug this into my Line 6 Pocket Pod with head phones and play as loud as I want!

64A3E170-4477-49A1-A36D-DA2C1589842D.jpg
    Kinnard Tenor, Kamaka HF-3, Jonathan Mann SEU-T, Kala's TEM/SRT-CTG-E, Cordoba 20TM, Risa Stick Tenor, Outdoor Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by bg42 View Post
    At night when everyone is asleep I can plug this into my Line 6 Pocket Pod with head phones and play as loud as I want!

64A3E170-4477-49A1-A36D-DA2C1589842D.jpg
    Wow, so nice! Is the tuning high or low 4th, I can't tell from the picture?

Nearly all steel string ukes are linear, mainly because they are played more like a guitar than strumming an acoustic uke.

With steel strings, you do really need a pick, unless you have really strong finger nails.

Non steel string ukes usually come fitted re entrant, & are played just like any other uke, their advantages are that they can be played loud through an amp, or played very quietly for night time practice, etc.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupu View Post
    Yes, but I thought the electric guitar designs were mainly aimed for tunings that run from lowest (4) to highest (1). But like I said, I know little about this.

What has also pointed me in that direction is the fact that I haven't come across any steel string ukulele (nor tenor guitar) that came tuned reentrant. Which is not the case with solid or semi-solid body nylon string ukes.

Maybe the manufacturers think they will more likely be played much like an electric guitar: with a pick, no fingerstyle, campanella nor drone strumming, etc? And the sound will be mofe similar to electric guitar too, without the high notes both beginning and ending the strums.
    You can request some steel string electric ukes to come re-entrant.
    For instance Risa offer string sets in either re-entrant or linear: https://www.ukulele.de/accessories/s...=STRISAST-S-H4

Or you can easily source 1 string to use as a high-G string (usually a high E electric guitar string).

As for why they tend to come linear, I'm not 100% sure.
    Perhaps because steel string electrics are often used to play melodic solos and scales which benefit from having a low-G string. I prefer linear tuning on all my ukes anyway.

There's no issue tuning a steel string electric linear or re-entrant. It's a matter of selecting the right strings, the magnetic pickups will amplify the sound either way. If you're really fussy you can adjust the pickup height so it is balanced for re-entrant, but even if you don't it would hardly be noticeable.

Bottom line is, there are no 'rules'. If you want a steel string electric with re-entrant because it suits you, more power to you.
    Last edited by kissing; 04-08-2020 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post

With steel strings, you do really need a pick, unless you have really strong finger nails.
    Many people play steel strings without a pick.
    There's no rule - all preference.
    Last edited by kissing; 04-08-2020 at 04:50 AM.

Thread Information