Is it really fishing line?

Hi guys,
I have just seen this post so here are my answers:
1) almost all (but not all) the fluorocarbon strings (PVDF) are made for fishing; however, exist a few variations in the basic fishing line's formula just to meet some necessity (more elasticity/more stiffness etc). Just a few of the PVDF monifilaments are made for different goals than fishing; however no one is made directly for music: the big globalized industrial producer of PVFD monofilaments says that the quantity per year do not justify a such production. Said that, those that sell ukulele fluocarbon strings buy the fluorocarbon in two ways: or in straight bundles of 1-2 Kg each if the company is big (yes, the monofilament is always made in the same way for fishing line), if the company is small, they cut out the string at its proper length directly from the fishing line bobins of a few Kg each.

2) the fact that almost all the fluorocarbon strings are made for fishing line do not mean that the quality is low. The string itshelf is still very good despite the fact that the main application of the PVDF is fot that. Inded, the real problem is that when a fishing line became a string: the final cost raise a lot. The second problem is the availability of different gauges necessary for all the different uke sets, that is scarce : this is why sometime there is a problem of tension balance on some sets.

3) The Aquila video: this is a demo video, nothing to do with our real situation, whose production raise 1 million of ukulele strings per month whose 90% is for the asian ukulele
manufacturers; we also are an anhonymous suplier to some well knows US and EU stringh brands. In other worlds our job follow professional and well organized ways.

4) Gauges: gauges can be different, at the same working tension, because plastics has different densities. Yes, the PVDF is 1.78 but Nylon is NOT 1.16 asd I have seen there: this is the density of the common nylon for fishing line that cannot be employ as musical string because the sound is too dull. Actually, Nylons for music has densities that range from 1.02 (cristal nylon) to 1.04 (Tynex du Pont: the very common nylon) to 1.08 ( our Bionylon).

5) Sugar aquila strings: we are ready to launch them in the market. Gauges has same diameter of Nylgut sets (the blend has same nylgut's density) while the sound is far over the fluorocarbon strings, as testified by those few that had a chance to tried them.

All the things I have explained here are true because this is my job and this is the reality.
Take care
Mimmo (from a could Italy)

Last edited:
Thanks Mimo, as always you do a great job of explaining these things. You are very much appreciated here for your involvement and always helping out and educating us. I look forward to trying out your Sugar strings when they become available

Exactly! There are a few companies on the planet that produce plastic monofilaments. Your strings come from there. The price difference (usually...) reflect the skill that the string makers apply to making balanced sets.

Raw materials are almost always much less important than the skill applied to making them fit your application space.

Exactly! There are a few companies on the planet that produce plastic monofilaments. Your strings come from there. The price difference (usually...) reflect the skill that the string makers apply to making balanced sets.

Raw materials are almost always much less important than the skill applied to making them fit your application space.

Does anyone except d'adario rectify strings though? The other thing to consider.. the non-rectified d'adarios.. are just off the spool like everyone else.

Does anyone except d'adario rectify strings though? The other thing to consider.. the non-rectified d'adarios.. are just off the spool like everyone else.
LaBella, Savarez, GHS.

Last edited:
From my electronic background "rectify" simply meant changing AC to DC. I would also like to be educated.

This:
"There are also rectified nylon treble strings which start out as clear nylon strings and are then precision ground to a uniform diameter along their entire length."

They also feel different. They tend to have a rougher texture. Think LaBella Pro Series uke strings. Some people can't get over the texture. I quite like them. It does make a bit of extra finger noise though that I'd prefer wasn't there...
There are plenty of threads on various classical forums about rectified vs. plain I've noticed with some searches.

Last edited:
I guess rectify must really mean change.

Well I can see what you mean but the change appears, to me, to correct them from being an uneven or variable diameter to a fixed and specific diameter. You rectify something that is wrong to put it right, well that’s how I see it now.

Edit.
Rectified Nylon strings are center-less ground to produce a smooth texture and consistent diameter. This produces a more comfortable string with impressive intonation.
Source: https://kalabrand.com/products/rectified-nylon-ukulele-strings

Last edited:
Well I can see what you mean but the change appears, to me, to correct them from being an uneven or variable diameter to a fixed and specific diameter. You rectify something that is wrong to put it right, well that’s how I see it now.

FWIW, I agree with this definition. :)

https://www.gamutmusic.com/new-page/

This is a link to a page about gut string production and history. If you don't want to read it all, search on "rectify" to find the origins of the use of the word in string making. It looks like it might come from the early 1800s, or before.

Thanks for the link to that page. I find the how-to and history of this very interesting.

It was a good, and quick read, while also very dense with detailed information. I am happy to have learned something new today. :)

Top Bottom