Season 300 - Deep Cuts

Quote Originally Posted by pabrizzer
Said it before saying it again - the NPR Music Tiny Desk Concerts are a rabbit hole that just keeps giving -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8cHEKNu1V4

Good percussion adds so much imho - a lot of pop music is basically drums bass and vocals.....

I totally agree Brian! Great stuff. Jam In The Van is another YT channel I go to to listen to newer live tunes.

And I have recently come across the Mokum Sessions, when, last week, I was looking for Nathaniel Rateliff. Mandolin Orange are there as well, and they were also mentioned last month

The Circle "C" Band were a San Antonio-based country and western swing band. I don't remember all their names, but their lead singer was Harmon Boazeman, who performed and recorded under the name Lee Harmon. Their lead guitar player was Carrol Sammons. They were mostly a live performance band, but they did record several singles. They mostly did covers, but Boazeman also wrote a few original songs which they performed. All of the original band are gone now, except for Sammons, who has retired from professional performance but is still active. He plays lead guitar with the local amateur group at the nursing home every Saturday afternoon, and does a few other local-area gigs (purely for enjoyment) now and then. He's a friend of mine. I get a big kick out of him. Every time I show up for the nursing home thing, he smiles and says, "Now we got somebody who can SING!" He's a great guy. He plays lead on the original of this recording. At the first instrumental break, Boazeman says, "Come in, Carrol!" I'll also upload the original and provide a link.

original here:
https://youtu.be/4EY2pYSQnh8

Last edited:
Way to early.
i thought it was a bit late actually, i like to start this sort of thing in october at the latest, preferably september. occasionally july??? :uhoh:

ok, shock horror GASP, i know you weren't expecting this (much!) but here is more marc bolan, pre-t.rex again, from when he was in the band "john's children", this single got banned in the UK when it was released in 1967 because of the lyrics

this may be less obscure than the previous marc song, but i hadn't heard it before, so fingers crossed!!!!

All right Bev- I will give you ONE Christmas song if you ALSO give us Debora. In honor of my newest snake (who looks like a Zebora) :rolleyes:
And for Sean. I blame Recovering Bassist for insinuating that we would ever discuss beer at length (LOL).
This song is so obscure it’s author does not even really exist.
And really I am just trying to spend all your money.

Jon and I have been playing around again.
A song I first saw when he sent a vid of Kate Rhudy and Mandolin Orange doing it.
It's actually a Woodie Guthrie song done by Doc Watson and Tim O'Brien among others.
And now us.

Austin, Texas, songwriter Daniel Johnston is beloved in my circle of indie/underground rockers, but I'm not sure how well known he ever got outside that circle. Anyway, he played last week in Portland while I was traveling, so I missed the show. And it was his last tour. And he was backed by Built to Spill. Argh.

I've love hear someone do some Yothu Yindi on the ukulele.

Would you believe I was noodling with some Yothu Yindi earlier today but decided it was too hard. Anyway, by requesting it, you've just confirmed it's not obscure enough.

I hope enough people say "never heard it" to make it qualify. The original by Declan O'Rourke is quite simply one of the loveliest songs I know, and although it has been covered by a few people, and talked about a lot by Paul Weller (who rates it as the top song he wished he had written), I suspect there are some who have not come across it.

BLACK MAN by the rubberbandit

You probably have not heard of The Rubberbandits a sort of anarchistic
Irish duo who disguise their faces with plastic bags. Their most famous
song is called a HORSE OUTSIDE that would only offend those who get
upset by profanity. So not wishing to offend the sensibilities of a single
group I decided to do BLACK MAN which should offend everybody across the board.
GO GYPSY DISCO SOUL.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome - wow what a nice bunch you have here! :)

Some of the Aussies and Kiwis among you might know this one... if you've got a good memory anyway :) Just a short one, going a bit retro:

Split Enz - Poor Boy

Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome - wow what a nice bunch you have here! :)

Some of the Aussies and Kiwis among you might know this one... if you've got a good memory anyway :) Just a short one, going a bit retro:

Split Enz - Poor Boy

Nicely done! Some of us non-Aussie/Kiwi strummers love Split Enz too--I did a version of this one way back in Season 127!

Oh no! I knew I'd make a gaff and find a song that wasn't as obscure as I thought it was :eek:

Here's an obscure David Allan Coe song that it appears he recorded in the early 80's, but it never appeared on an album, and was released in just the last few years. It's a pretty good protest song, so I gave it a shot.

Oh no! I knew I'd make a gaff and find a song that wasn't as obscure as I thought it was :eek:

No gaff at all! I'm sure there are folks who are fans of Split Enz here. I've never really explored their music much so I've never heard Poor Boy before. Couldn't even tell you if it was one of their hits or not. But that's not even the point, no matter what you play it doesn't really matter at all, not to me anyway (and I'm this week's host :cool:). In the end we're just really all here to have fun. So keep on doing what you're doing. We're all glad you're here!

Last edited:
While I'm waiting for my first song to upload, I have a question about eligibility. I have a song that I'd like to play. It was a hit song by a reasonably successful band. I would think that rules it out, but it's a Scandinavian heavy metal band... Is that enough to render it eligible?

While I'm waiting for my first song to upload, I have a question about eligibility. I have a song that I'd like to play. It was a hit song by a reasonably successful band. I would think that rules it out, but it's a Scandinavian heavy metal band... Is that enough to render it eligible?

I'm pretty loosey goosey with rules when I host so I say sure. When I first started listening to TCK's radio show he was playing a lot of stuff that in a certain area of the world and at a certain time might have been regional hits, but some of that stuff opened up a whole musical world to me I never even knew existed. The point to this whole week is to just turn people onto music they might not otherwise hear, and to have fun. So run with that.

Well friends, here's another rundown of all the gifts you've shared today. Thanks for exposing me to so many hidden gems. Keep them coming because I need the distraction.

Jazzbanjorex - Barney Google - Hahaha, don't think I've ever heard this. Good, fun stuff. Nothing brightens up a day like some googly eyes, I always say.

hendulele - Haley’s Comet - Of course TCK knows this one. lol. I do not. So glad you brought this one, I like it! Good story song.

Jazzbanjorex - Chocolate Chip Cookies - Season two hundred and what? Lol. I can relate. Fun song! Now I'm totally jonesing for cookies. *Now we all know the way to Rex's heart.

TCK - Last Pale Light In The West - I know I've heard some Lucero tunes from you in the past. Don't think I've ever heard this. As usual, I love it. It's clear that you do too. What a somber song. Perfect for this rainy NW day.

TCK - Carrie Nation and The Speakeasy - I know I've never heard this one. I'm not on the front porch right now either but I'm playing along. This is totally in your wheel house. Shoot, wish I had played this one on the body parts show I did recently. Always another show, right? Just can't fix this kind of broke. Great tune.

AlanDP - Close My Eyes - New to me. What band is this? Catchy tune. Sounds like it would fit right in with some bouncy 60s pop. Fun stuff!

AlanDP - Way Down Here In Mississippi - How cool that you get to jam with this guy at the nursing home! That's gotta be a ton of fun. Sounds like a fun song to play. I have certainly never heard that one. Thanks for bringing it.

bird’s eye view of my ukulele - Desdemona - Cool! I'm totally up for more Marc Bolan. That is not a rabbit hole I have explored much yet but clearly I need to. I listened to the original recording of The Third Degree last night and loved it! I like this a lot. Thanks!

TCK - Cold Beer - Yes, play this for every season you can! And get Mel to sing along, the whole song, not just one line. lol. *And now both you and Recovering Bassist have both said beer. Here we go. Wait, I just checked and I am all out of beer. And mom in law is here. Tragedy! TCK's obsessed. Part of the fam, part of the team. I love this song! Of course you know that.*

pabrizzer & mountain goat; aka The Butterboxes - What Does The Deep Sea Say? - Oh, what I wouldn't give to jam with the two of you! What a special thing this is. Not a tune I know and I almost don't even want to check out the original. Huge smiles up here in the northern hemisphere. I'll be coming back for more for sure. Thank you gents.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters - Life In Vain - Sorry you missed the show. I wasn't even aware he was in town! Great song here Ralf. Pretty simple yet every line just hits you in the gut. It's almost hard to listen to, but truth isn't always easy to hear. Wonderful addition to the week.*

YorkSteve - Galileo - Maybe some folks have come across this tune but I've never heard it. What a piece of songwriting. Really nice. Glad you brought this one.

wee_ginga_yin - Black Man - Never heard of The Rubberbandits. I'm all for offending everyone across the board. Interesting song for sure. Thanks for posting the lyrics in your vid. I like it. Gonna have to check out these guys with plastic bags over their faces.

SparkyUkulele - Poor Boy - Good to see another one from you! And this is every bit as good as the first one, which is saying quite a bit. Again the vocals are just superb. I love the move from picking to strumming and back again. You make this song sound like it was made for the uke. Love it.

Recovering Bassist - My Father Smoked His Pipe - Workers paid their taxes and the salary of the kings. Pretty topical stuff. Powerful tune. Never heard it before. I love that you're playing this song in a rocking chair. Nice twiddly bits in there.

This song was featured on the podcast Welcome to Nightvale. It's really a story-telling podcast, but every episode features a song by some relatively obscure musician who is trying to get some exposure. Katie Kuffel lives in Seattle (I think). She has a YT channel and sells stuff on cdbaby.

I asked my kids for suggestions and this is one my daughter gave me.

The chord progression on this song sounds very familiar to me, but I don't want to say what song it reminds me of. I am curious to see if anyone else hears the same thing I do.

One of the things about being so busy lately is that I've become a lot less picky about the quality of what I upload. If I get through the song, then that will do.

Anyway, this song is by a band called the Football Club. They were just starting out early this year, when the lead singer was accused of sexual assault and the guitarist left in protest, so we might not see anything else from them. I should probably mention that the singer is transgender because the last verse doesn't make a lot of sense if I you don't know that. Anyway, I'll be very very surprised if this isn't a $2 song.

On another note those of you that have been following the saga with my milo uke will notice that I'm playing it in this video. After a lot of time, effort, and money, I think I've finally got it playable. I'm not sure if it will stay that way, but it's good for now. I was sorely tempted to sell it to Mountain Goat, who kindly offered to buy it, but if I can keep it in the same condition that it's in right now, I'll be glad I hung on to it. I don't normally name my ukes, but I'm naming this one. I would like to officially introduce you all to "Trouble."

Top Bottom