Gotoh UPT Tuner

Cheers Downupdave.
I also have the hiviz headstock on my tenor reso, and was thinking about changing to black gotoh’s. The silver posts do not go with the headstock.
So decision made.
Thanks.
H

Excellent instructions, the pictures you always include in your posts are extremely helpful, thank you. I have a Mya Moe baritone with "rabbit ears" and I didn't like the look. I switched them out for my favorite, black on black Gotoh UPT. The existing holes were just a little too big, alway check first. One single wrap of electrical tape around the barrel of the tuner made it a perfect fit.

View attachment 104355View attachment 104356View attachment 104357

Lucky! No reaming.

Do UPT's work with all different uke scales? I know different sizes use different strings wich means different tension. Can the gears whitstand the tension?

Thanks in advance guys!

I have used them on tenor and soprano and they work fine. IMHO the best geared tuners for a ukulele. But check headstock to see both which model (regular and long) Also check on the head stock in case it may be too thick for the tuners - I had this happen on a Kamaka tenor.

Do UPT's work with all different uke scales? I know different sizes use different strings wich means different tension. Can the gears whitstand the tension?
Tension is not an issue. Some may feel they are too heavy for a soprano but others have no problem there either.

As stated by frianm and Jim, it works all size of ukulele. I use them for guitaleles too.

In friction tuners, we need to tighten the screws. But UPTs are planetary and they have geares inside. We don't need screw too tight in UPTs. I have tighten some screws too much by mistake and broken (See the red round in the figure below). Fortunately Gotoh has very good after service and they sent me a couple of screws through dealer in the internet. I also changed colors of buttons.

If you want to install them by yourself, you just need to expand the hole from back (See the red arrow). We need only small diameter on the front side.

Thanks in advance guys!

Yes, and you can even use them on guitars. Romero Creations installs them on their Parlor guitar, DHO6 and TT6 Guilele. I especially like them during a string change—really quick to get up to pitch with the 4:1 ratio—but miss the fine control of 16:1 tuners once the strings stretch out.

In my opinion UPT tuners are the best that money can buy. I have them on my Chris Perkins Tenor and recently acquired Rebel Double Cream. Given the choice I would have them on all my Uke’s - maybe one day!

In my opinion UPT tuners are the best that money can buy. I have them on my Chris Perkins Tenor and recently acquired Rebel Double Cream. Given the choice I would have them on all my Uke’s - maybe one day!

I agree. I chose to have them come on my LoPrinzi, and would prefer to have them on all my ukes.

Not only do they look great, but I really like the shorter 4:1 ratio.

All four of my ukuleles have UPT tuners. Two of them came with the UPT tuners (Blackbird Clara & aNueNue Moon Bird), and two I had changed by my local shop (KoAlohas). I like them a lot, for looks & function.

looking to change my UPTs for these graphtech ones purely due to weight on my sopranino
http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/ratio/ratio-tune-a-lele-for-ukulele
Saw them on some great ukes recently and the weight and size is amazing, anyone done the swap?

I installed two sets of the Tune-a-Lele. One on a soprano and the other set on a tenor. I like them enormously though I find them a tad ugly when looked at from the rear of the headstock. However they work really well and were easy to install. Since they are half the price of the Gotoh upts they are a great option.

I prefer the looks of UPT's over the Ratio tuners, but I would like to eventually install a set of Ratios on my Ohana SK-25S to try them out.

I installed two sets of the Tune-a-Lele. One on a soprano and the other set on a tenor. I like them enormously though I find them a tad ugly when looked at from the rear of the headstock. However they work really well and were easy to install. Since they are half the price of the Gotoh upts they are a great option.

Are they available to order yet?

Top Bottom