Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotoh UPT Tuner

Lightbulb Gotoh UPT Tuner

I like friction tuners on my ukuleles especially soprano. But I sometimes frustrate to tune strings with electric tuners, because they are too accurate. Gotoh UPT tuner looks same as friction tuner but it is planetary tuner, which has 1:4 gears inside. Very easy to tune and stay long as geared tuners.

We just need three items.
    1) UPT tuners: Gotoh has two planetary tuners, UPT and UPTL. The UPT manufacturer recommended head thickness is 10-12 mm. UPTL is 11.5-13.5 mm. If you have 12 mm thickness, both works, but UPT is better than UPTL. Because we don't need extra length of tuner pole.
    2) Taper pin reamer: I use 3-15mm one. Any taper pin reamers around this size are ok.
    3) Drill

Instractions
    1) Remove the friction tuners.
    2) Expand the holes around 10mm with reamer both side of headstock (see the left figure above) . Headstock wood is very light and very easy to cut.
    3) Drill a small hole next to the tuner hole (see the right figure above). The location of the small hole is easy to identify by UPT's thorn, which prevent to turn the tuner on the headstock.
    4) Set up tuners.

I have installed 5 sets of UPT tuners for me and my friends. Very good tuner and install is quite simple.

Thanks, great instructions. I'm way too scared of doing damage, but luckily, the guys at HMS will change friction tuners to Gotoh UPT for a small upcharge. They also made an instructive video of how to do it:

https://vimeo.com/123455918

Excellent instructions, the pictures you always include in your posts are extremely helpful, thank you. I have a Mya Moe baritone with "rabbit ears" and I didn't like the look. I switched them out for my favorite, black on black Gotoh UPT. The existing holes were just a little too big, alway check first. One single wrap of electrical tape around the barrel of the tuner made it a perfect fit.

20170517_174056.jpg20170520_200148.jpg20170520_200203.jpg
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Hi Dave, can you share a picture of what the back of the headstock looks like? Can you see the old screw holes from the geared rabbit ear tuners that you removed? Thanks!

Here is the back of the headstock. I left the holes unfilled, I NEVER look back there. I did a similar switch over on a Pono tenor and spent the time filling and stain matching. Then never looked back there so I left the MM as is.

20171118_195324.jpg
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Looks great, Thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Excellent instructions, the pictures you always include in your posts are extremely helpful, thank you. I have a Mya Moe baritone with "rabbit ears" and I didn't like the look. I switched them out for my favorite, black on black Gotoh UPT. The existing holes were just a little too big, alway check first. One single wrap of electrical tape around the barrel of the tuner made it a perfect fit.

20170517_174056.jpg20170520_200148.jpg20170520_200203.jpg
    I have always used a thin brass shim to take up any size difference. In the banjo world we would find this when fitting a ⅜" planetary (such as Gotoh, Five STAR or Waverly) in a hole for a 10mm tuner such as a Schaller. I hate black tape!
    Kamaka pineapple soprano gold label - 1950s
    Kamaka custom soprano, gold label. 1960s?
    Koaloha tenor 2011
    Koaloha Opio long neck soprano. 2016
    Braddah, Mele, concert 1997
    Braddah, Mele, tenor late 1990s
    Bruko #6 soprano, flat back, pre 1980
    Gretsch NYC - old and beat up camp ukulele - fixed up as a player.
    Luna tenor - laminate and to use as a loaner.

Quote Originally Posted by frianm View Post
    I have always used a thin brass shim to take up any size difference. In the banjo world we would find this when fitting a ⅜" planetary (such as Gotoh, Five STAR or Waverly) in a hole for a 10mm tuner such as a Schaller. I hate black tape!
    Well the black tape is wrapped around the barrel of the tuner which is then inserted into the hole in the headstock. You dont see it. So.........!!!!

I love the Gotoh UPT-L tuners. I've installed a few myself.

Nice replacement for nearly any other tuners.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Thanks! Did you have to wait two months to get the tuners? I ordered them, but I have to wait.

Thread Information