Soprano/ Concert with wider neck/ nut?

CGCE71

Reaction score
Hello. I am playing my Concert-size uke more of late but don't know whether I'm going to get used to its nut width, especially as someone using a classical guitar and a steel string guitar with a 45mm nut. So what luck might I have finding Sopranos and Concerts with a wider nut than usual? I can't need much more space as my baritone feels fine and has the same nut width and string spacing (which on paper doesn't even make sense, so maybe the neck thickness and scale length is having some effect too).

Both have 36mm nut widths and 28mm string spacing.

Thanks.

I believe Kanile'a ukes have slightly wider necks.

also, in the past, there was a ukulele called the Akulele made in South America (?).
the ones I played had wider necks also.

just sharing from my memory :)

keep uke'in',

35mm or 1 3/8 is considered standard, with a 36mm or 1 7/16 being a moderately wide nut. Kanilea and their import line Islander have 1.5 or 38mm nut size on all their ukuleles. String spacing can vary with any of the nut sizes, so you may find wider spacing on a narrower nut. I have played ukuleles with all size nuts and find myself preferring the 36mm mostly. I did specifically get an Islander soprano with a 38mm nut to have a little more room.

Great. Very handy, thanks.

Thinking now that it might be the scale length that's throwing me. :-/

Yes, I've got an all mahogany one that I quite like but it has f-holes and I'm finding that I come into contact with the body where the soundhole would be when strumming, so I'll be looking to move to another. A Concert with the Tenor's neck would be good. I like the small sound of the Concert. I saw reference to a long-necked Concert recently so that seems feasible.

Yes, there are long neck concerts and sopranos. Look luck in your search. I have been through a few sizes in search of my favorites.

Kiwaya is 38mm (1.5 inch) nut. My friend loves it a lot. And all of Kiwaya are well set up in factory. You don't need to care about nut and saddle set up.

Last edited:
Kiwaya is 38mm (1.5 inch) nut. My friend loves it a lot. And all of Kiwaya are well set up in factory. You don't need to care about nut and saddle set up.
Everyone I've talked to with a Kiwaya says they are 1 7/16 or 36mm nut. Are some bigger?

I just checked ebay and searched for 'wide neck ukulele' and found an Oscar Schmidt with
a wide 1-3/4" neck!

good luck :)

Thank you RafterGirl and Lapyang!

I am taking about famous (domestic brand) of Kiwaya. Famous FS-1, FS-3 and FS-5 have 1.5 inch (38mm) nuts. I see now there are many Kiwaya models in oversea and they have different nut width.

Last edited:
I am taking about famous (domestic brand) of Kiwaya. Famous FS-1, FS-3 and FS-5 have 1.5 inch (38mm) nuts. I see now there are many Kiwaya models in oversea and they have different nut width.

My Famous FLS-2PG (bought from Japan) and my Kiwaya KTS-5 (bought in U.S.) both measure 35mm at the nut - is this the measurement people are taking who say it's 38mm? Kind of hard for me to hold a measuring tape and take a photo at the same time, but it comes in at 35mm as far as I can see.

FullSizeRender.jpg

As for ukes with a wider nut width - I'm pretty sure the widest-nut sopranos I've ever encountered were LoPrinzi, but I don't recall the measurement. I just know that my friend who plays tenor thought it was very easy to play for a soprano, whereas with my small hands, I couldn't even reach the G string with my pinky!

Last edited:
My Famous FLS-2PG (bought from Japan) and my Kiwaya KTS-5 (bought in U.S.) both measure 35mm at the nut - is this the measurement people are taking who say it's 38mm? Kind of hard for me to hold a measuring tape and take a photo at the same time, but it comes in at 35mm as far as I can see.

View attachment 104439

I
As for ukes with a wider nut width - I'm pretty sure the widest-nut sopranos I've ever encountered were LoPrinzi, but I don't recall the measurement. I just know that my friend who plays tenor thought it was very easy to play for a soprano, whereas with my small hands, I couldn't even reach the G string with my pinky!

I will probably order a Famous long neck soprano from either Amazon or more likely from Japan. I'd love to know the nut size for sure on the FLS - 1G or FLS - 60. I've played all sizes of nuts on concerts, a tenor, and a soprano. My tenor & soprano are both Islanders, so they are both 38mm. My Teton & Bonanza concerts are both 35mm, and my KoAloha is 36mm. I'm having a Loprinzi concert built with a 36mm nut. Donna Loprinzi told me that 35 mm is their standard size, but they will make 36 or 38 if you want. I do like the 38mm on my soprano, plus it has 14 frets to the neck, so it's a longish neck, but still soprano scale. I like it, but not as much as concert scale, so that's why I'm looking at a long neck soprano.

I have noticed that string spacing can vary widely even with a same size ukulele and same size nut.

My Famous FS-0 has 37mm nut width, and a previous FS-5 was also 37mm. A Kiwaya KTS-4 I had was 35mm.

Anyone know the difference between the FLS-1G and FLS-60 ukes? Pics look the same to me.

They have different tuning pegs, and the FLS-60 has 17 frets total. The FLS-1G has 20 frets. Both have a 14 fret join.

My Japanese isn't so great when it comes to technical specs (neither is my English, for that matter!) but maybe zztush can help out. I've never understood the difference between 単板 and 合板 - is 単板 solid wood and 合板 veneer? If so, then the FLS-60 is veneer.

FLS-1G スペック:
・マホガニー材単板
・20 フレット
・キワヤオリジナルギアペグ仕様(F-2)
・ソプラノボディ/コンサートスケールネック

FLS-60 スペック:
・ソプラノサイズ/コンサートネック
・マホガニー材合板
・14F/17F
・Famousオリジナルギアペグ仕様(F-1)

Last edited:
I have some slightly different sized nut widths, 34~36, but over the strings seem to still be 28mm, so unless the string spacing changes, I don't really see why you'd be worried about nut width - wider string spacing I can understand. :)

I have some slightly different sized nut widths, 34~36, but over the strings seem to still be 28mm, so unless the string spacing changes, I don't really see why you'd be worried about nut width - wider string spacing I can understand. :)
Exactly. I was posting about the real difference between a 1-3/8 neck and a 1-1/2 neck and someone brought that up. So I've been carrying around my mini tape measure with me when I'm checking them out. Point is, it seems to me that the width of the strings themselves is not consistent to the width of the neck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom