Soprano/ Concert with wider neck/ nut?

They have different tuning pegs, and the FLS-60 has 17 frets total. The FLS-1G has 20 frets. Both have a 14 fret join.

My Japanese isn't so great when it comes to technical specs (neither is my English, for that matter!) but maybe zztush can help out. I've never understood the difference between 単板 and 合板 - is 単板 solid wood and 合板 veneer? If so, then the FLS-60 is veneer.

FLS-1G スペック:
・マホガニー材単板
・20 フレット
・キワヤオリジナルギアペグ仕様(F-2)
・ソプラノボディ/コンサートスケールネック

FLS-60 スペック:
・ソプラノサイズ/コンサートネック
・マホガニー材合板
・14F/17F
・Famousオリジナルギアペグ仕様(F-1)

My question is about the finish. I prefer satin over gloss, so knowing the finish would determine which model I get. It seems like delivery from Japan is faster than Amazon, but I worry about getting a damaged product and returns when ordering direct from Japan? I'm not too concerned about the nut size since it would be a concert scale.

Both Famous sops I've had were 37mm nut, with 30.5 and 31 string spreads at the nut. Strangely, 3 tenors I've had (other brands) showed thinner nuts and string spread only 28 or 29mm.

Every Famous uke I've seen has a satin finish, no gloss there, since in Japan, they are considered entry level ukes. I bet you'd love a Famous longneck. Even when you order one from Amazon, I believe they are still shipped from Japan.
Awesome. Thanks. The pictures looked like satin, but I was afraid that the G in FLS-1G was for gloss.

Hi, Janeray1940. Thank you for asking!

I've never understood the difference between 単板 and 合板 - is 単板 solid wood and 合板 veneer? If so, then the FLS-60 is veneer.

Yes, you are right. 単板 is solid wood, 合板 is veneer.

FLS-1G:
Solid Mahogany
20 frets
Kiwaya original peg (F-2)
Soprano body / Concert neck

FLS-60:
Mahogany veneer
14 fret joint, 17 frets
Famous original gear peg (F-1)

Awesome. Thanks. The pictures looked like satin, but I was afraid that the G in FLS-1G was for gloss.

Kiwaya use G for gear peg in Famous brand when both friction and gear peg model exists. FS-1 is friction tuner, FS-1G is gear peg.

Last edited:

FLS-1G:
Solid Mahogany
20 frets
Kiwaya original peg (F-2)

FLS-60:
Mahogany veneer
14 fret joint, 17 frets
Famous original gear peg (F-1)
Thanks. That explains the $120 price difference between the FLS-1G and FLS-60. On the sound clips, it's hard to tell a big difference between them. Also thanks for the info on what the G means.

Thanks zztush for confirming that! Dictionaries almost always say 単板 is veneer, but I didn't think that was right. I've only seen it defined as solid wood once. Strange!

Kiwaya use G for gear peg in Famous brand when both friction and gear peg model exists. FS-1 is friction tuner, FS-1G is gear peg.

I didn't know that - appreciate the explanation.

Top Bottom