Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How Old Were You When You Started Playing Guitar?

Let's see...I started yesterday and I'm fifty-oh sheet. Old. I was old when I started. ;-)
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

I started at 12 and I am still starting
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

I attempted guitar at the age of 45, on and off for a while. Fast forward 12 years to the age of 60 and I have taken it up again, about two months ago. After playing uke for 4 years the guitar, though BIG, is very doable. The skills learned on uke transfer quickly and I am much better on guitar now then when it was my only instrument. It is never too late and you are never too old.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I attempted guitar at the age of 45, on and off for a while. Fast forward 12 years to the age of 60 and I have taken it up again, about two months ago. After playing uke for 4 years the guitar, though BIG, is very doable. The skills learned on uke transfer quickly and I am much better on guitar now then when it was my only instrument. It is never too late and you are never too old.
    Glad to hear it. I just bought a guitar this week and am a bit overwhelmed at the size and extra strings. Plus, that whole fret dot at the NINTH fret keeps throwing me. I am determined to learn it though and going to muddle through. In keeping with the spirit of the thread, first attempt I was probably 11 or 12, then 18. It never took...trying again now at 44.
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Lokomaika'i"
    Taylor K24CE all koa guitar "Hali'a"
    Cordoba 55FCE guitar "Serenidad"
    Yamaha SLG200N guitar "Sasayaki"
    Emerald X7 koa Select guitar "Cuairteoir"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwahine11 View Post
    Glad to hear it. I just bought a guitar this week and am a bit overwhelmed at the size and extra strings. Plus, that whole fret dot at the NINTH fret keeps throwing me. I am determined to learn it though and going to muddle through. In keeping with the spirit of the thread, first attempt I was probably 11 or 12, then 18. It never took...trying again now at 44.
    Glad to hear you are giving it another go as well. My first attempt I "practiced hard" for 30 minutes a day. It was lonely, boring and tedious. The uke is different, I "played" songs and sang, it was FUN. This is what I am doing now on the guitar and it is so much more enjoyable. I am even playing a bunch of uke chord melody songs I know on just the top four strings of the guitar.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwahine11 View Post
    Re: "that whole fret dot at the NINTH fret".
    -I once put a new fretboard on a banjo and decided to play it as a fretless. After a couple of years, I realized that I wasn't making much use of it, so I put some frets on it and inlayed some pearl dots. In a hurry to get finished, I put the dots where they'd belong on a guitar. I discovered this before I put the side dots on it and they went in the correct place. After another period of time putting up with the incorrect position marker, I removed the dot, filled the hole with a rosewood dust/yellow glue mix and put a dot at the 10th fret where it belonged.
    -A number of years ago, I found a banjolele at a price I couldn't turn down and bought it. The reason for the low price, $12, was the twisted, beyond repair, neck. I had a new neck made for it by a luthier friend. Having mostly worked on guitars, he put the position markers at the 9th fret instead of the 10th. I don't want to change this fretboard, but I will be adding side dots in the correct place.

banjo frankenstein.jpg This is the banjo with the misplaced dot repaired. I gave it to my niece when she showed some interest.

banjoette new neck.jpg This is the banjolele with the new neck.

Guitars seem to be unique in this way. ukuleles, mandolins, banjos, tiples, bouzoukis. . . all seem to have dots at the 10th fret. (Although I once owned an Aria 12-string guitar with the dot at the 10th fret.)
    Last edited by Jim Yates; 05-07-2018 at 03:35 AM.

Tried first time 1997, age 59. Tried to play electric for a little more than a year and quit. 2008/9 I tried again and found I had an injury to hand, thumb so I quite again. Last year, about August 2017 I decided I was going to play pain or no pain. Ha, pain won and I had to go to doctor and now PT for most of the last year. I got a Baritone Ukulele in Sep last year and a Tenor Ukulele this last May. I can play them with almost no pain. In the last month I have aquired a Guitalele and a small classcal guitar. I am playing both with only a little pain. Some days no pain. I am 80 now so I guess I am old enough to do what I want - PLAY GUITAR. Or at least I am trying.

I got my first guitar shortly after the Beatles played on The Ed Sullivan Show. I’ve played off and on since then. My currant guitar is a classical guitar, which I bought because it has nylon strings. I have concluded that the neck is too wide for me and haven’t touched it in years. It is in need of a new string.
    LACole

Northern UK20 Concert
    Beaver Creek Maple Flame Tenor
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert

My mum and dad bought me my first ‘guitar’ when I was 3, and I used to ‘play’ and sing at family Xmas parties after which the family would throw coins at me as a reward.

I’ve had various guitars since and have played on and off over the years, albeit with huge breaks when family and career got in the way.

I’ve just turned 62 years of age and there’s only one thing in all that time that hasn’t changed.

PEOPLE *STILL* THROW THINGS AT ME WHEN I TRY TO SING AND PLAY!!!! lol

5E920133-47A6-43AF-9C72-56017557706E.jpg

6A0ABD2E-50AE-4EBD-94A6-873C2D044C43.jpg
    Last edited by S11LKO; 10-05-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    Luv n stuff, Dave

* GUITARS
    Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
    50yr old EKO 12 string jumbo
    American Fender Stratocaster deluxe
    American Gibson SG Special
    Squier Telecaster Custom II with P90’s
    Ibanez GSR200 BASS

* UKES
    Ozark 2035 banjole
    Kmise tenor banjole
    Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor
    Kala KA-CE electro acoustic

* OTHERS
    Kawai KM-10 Grand piano & Technics KN-2000 keyboard

I was so fortunate growing up in HNL to have my 6th grade teacher teach the entire class
    to sing and play the ukulele.

My first uke was a gift from my Grandmother. It was a 'no-name' orange uke from Long's Drugs!
    I believe it was a bit larger than a Soprano, but not a Concert size. I would have been 12 at the time.

since then, I've just kept on singing and playing. My primary motivation was to be able to accompany
    myself singing the Rock-n-Roll songs of the 50's and 60's. My teacher didn't teach those songs so I
    listened to the radio and tried to mimic the key and chords by ear. in time I learned to transpose using
    a barred C shape then converting to the open chording of the appropriate keys (F, G, A, D fingerings).

I had a wheel chart from a Guitar book (Nick Manoff?) that helped me find chords for each of the keys.
    I didn't understand Music Theory... I simply looked at the relation of the chords in the Key of C then
    turned the upper portion of the chart which had holes cut out and figured that the chords in the cutouts
    were related to the Key Chord the same way the other chords in the Key of C were related to that key
    It seemed to work for me.

bottom line, with regard to the question... I was 12 years old in 6th grade (58 years ago!)

Amazing how much one can learn just by keeping at it and being open to what others are doing.

keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

Thread Information