Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starter U Bass?

I couldn’t pass on this, either. I have been wanting to mess around with a U-Bass for a while, and I’ve been longing after the new Kala Journeyman with the F-Holes, but not wanting to spend that much on one ($299). I know that isn’t a lot of an instrument, but when you basically want one to mess around on and to maybe add some tracks to some recordings—that’s a lot for an experiment.

Incidentally, that’s the same reason I tell many beginning players to buy something like a Dolphin/Shark, Aklot, or Enya...make sure you love it before you go all in.

The danger here is that my collection is pretty huge and I don’t find myself having a desire to clear house—not sure how many more ukuleles my wife will tolerate before she loses her mind. With a cigar box ukulele that I’m building, I’ll be well over 30. Admittedly, most of my ukuleles were pretty inexpensive. Only my instruments from Mim have been full value, and my most expensive is my KoAloha Opio Sapele Tenor, and that one was a B-Stock unit. I’m not sure the entire collection of all those ukuleles matches the value of my tuba. But then again, all these instruments were tax-deductible in the past (music teacher). Not sure if that is still the case with the new tax laws.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to working on a bass.I’m going to have to get used to that tuning...
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Quote Originally Posted by ampeep View Post
    Was wondering how these hold up over the long run.
    I have a Rondo acoustic bass uke that I use regularly for a hospital gig where we roam from room to room. I also have a bunch of solid body and I have no concern about their durability. I've handled and analyzed the Kalas, the Rondos seem to be just as well made.

I also have my eyes on the Kala Journeyman in red, only because a like UAS.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Just got mine in today, and it's pretty nice. Build quality seems good, but some binding, or a nicer design around the sound hole would be nice. Frets seems pretty smooth, and the intonation seems fine. Having a hard time getting a clean sound with the string slapping the frets though. I guess this will go away with more practice!

I did a little demo track in Garageband, just to see how it sounds, and I think it sounds pretty good. You really wouldn't believe this was a uke bass! I'm playing my Donner tenor as rhythm, and drums and organ are Garageband instruments.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11d...yH2bflBA9Zt1Js

Quote Originally Posted by NoJive View Post
    Just got mine in today, and it's pretty nice. Build quality seems good, but some binding, or a nicer design around the sound hole would be nice. Frets seems pretty smooth, and the intonation seems fine. Having a hard time getting a clean sound with the string slapping the frets though. I guess this will go away with more practice!

I did a little demo track in Garageband, just to see how it sounds, and I think it sounds pretty good. You really wouldn't believe this was a uke bass! I'm playing my Donner tenor as rhythm, and drums and organ are Garageband instruments.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11d...yH2bflBA9Zt1Js
    I've found that the rubber strings require a much lighter touch from your plucking hand, and for more attack and less fret slapping, pluck closer to the bridge. For a warmer, more upright-bass tone, pluck closer to the end of the fretboard.

Due to the strings having much lower tension than other instruments, fret-slapping by the strings happens if you try to play it with the force you might use on ukulele, so in this case especially, less is more.
    This ═╣FAQ link╠═ will help you learn about many things.
    You should click it, as the answers are waiting for you.

Got my Carlo Robelli today!!!! It's going back. HORRENDOUS buzzing on the A string. Not really sure what it was, but it sound like it was coming from the bridge. Otherwise it was a nice little instrument. Looking forward to getting a better one.

Are you asking for a replacement or just getting a different u-bass?
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Thanks Booli! I was playing some tonight and noticed I could get a pretty decent clean sound playing closer to the bridge.
    Last edited by NoJive; 08-11-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    Are you asking for a replacement or just getting a different u-bass?
    A replacement. Other than that, it seems like a pretty nice little uke.

Quote Originally Posted by Staredge View Post
    A replacement. Other than that, it seems like a pretty nice little uke.
    I've had and seen bad experiences with the lower priced Ubasses, i know some people swear by them and have had good luck, but I think the Kala is the most consistent quality. Look for an older used one on ebay or reverb. I have a 2012 vintage Kala Exotic mahogany without the preamp, it's the best Ubass among my friends and there's 4-5 others.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Appreciate your comments regarding the reliability of the various uke basses. If I were to get one, would probably go for the ones that were bulletproof.

Thread Information