First build -quilted maple and redwood

These are theoretical measurements and not really real world. They are based on the ideal, perfect mathematical scale length. Given all the other variables that the real world imposes, they are meaningless, but all those fractions look cool. Just get it as close as you can.

And if you have a cnc router you can tell it to cut the slots at exactly that decimal point, which, unless you have a very expensive precision machine used to mill surgical parts and the like, is only slightly less meaningless!

Gotcha!

Well after studying this, reading a number of posts, I ordered the LMI slotting template for soprano and tenor ukuleles. It seems to me that you can use a longer scale and simply start with the correct slot and get fairly close to what you need. But that's beyond my pay grade. So I will spend the money for the right scale template.

And no, don't anticipate having a CNC machine soon. :) :)

Probably a more challenging fix...

I welcome any wisdom you may have. I thought perhaps if all else fails I could bevel the edge around the peg head veneer.

I see the name is now vertical - nice.
As to the issue in the photo - you could try a bevel all round. I have a Koaloha Opio and the top side is all nicely beveled.
Be blessed.

Recall that I had several chips to fix because of my poor router skill. I fixed a couple in the blond Alaskan yellow cedar and I'm happy with that. Finally tackled the chip in the doubled up peghead veneer. I've got a little ear glued on but I am concerned about how to bring that down to size. There's not a lot holding that peace to the peghead. I thought about sanders, band saws, etc. I welcome any tips you might offer. :)

Attachments

• 20180518_072502.jpg
    20180518_072502.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180518_140313.jpg
    20180518_140313.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180518_140400.jpg
    20180518_140400.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180504_122349.jpg
    20180504_122349.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Just cut or sand your peghead smaller. Still have plenty of meat there. Instead of fixing, just make it disappear? Don't obsess too much on the original design? Zip, zip and gone?

I thought about that but decided this route would be a good opportunity for me to learn a skill or three. If this doesn't work out, 1. I'll know why/why not and 2. I can always shrink it a tad. 😊

Oh, I meant for cutting the excess off. Not reducing the size of the entire headstock.

Sorry, Sven, my forum skills are almost as poor as my woodworking skills!

I meant that reply for Sequoia's suggestion to trim the whole peghead down to absorb the chipped edge.

Here is a not-well-lit pic of my progress. I was surprised that the glue held; my fears were simply unfounded.

BTW: I checked out your GoodCop... stuff! That is pretty nice!!!

Attachments

• peghead repair.jpg
    peghead repair.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 22
Top Bottom