2018 Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival

Mitch,

I attended last year and this year. I fly out from Minnesota and back on the same day, which allows me to not have to miss school. Thank you for the improvements this year—things ran even smoother than last year and I really enjoyed the event.

Do you have a way to collect feedback/suggestions? I have s couple of ideas (not complaints!) that I’d love to share—-and am always happy to send an e-mail—but if you have a feedback form I’d be happy to use that, too!

I'm so glad I flew over from Salt Lake City for this festival. I had a blast. The performers were all outstanding & I enjoyed the workshops. Taimane Gardner & Kris Fuchigami blew me away, and Aaron & Nicole's final crowd sing-along song brought a little tear to my eye. Strumming with Cynthia Lin, and singing with Nicole Keim were such treats. Thanks to Mitch and his chord progression workshop, I'll listen to songs with new ears now.

Big thumbs up to Delta Airlines for getting me & my mobility scooter back & forth from SLC to LA without a hitch. I had no trouble getting around the venue. I arrived back home late last night, tired but immensely happy & full of ukulele magic. Next time, I hope to be on my own two legs without a bad knee. I was bummed that I didn't connect with any UU folks, but there were just too many people at the festival to make that easy.

Great job Mitch, again. Every year it seems to get Bigger. Much improvement with the food lines and choices. Even night before jam went well but missed those Hawaiian buffets too. Thanks for doing this.

Am really impressed by you folks that flew/drove to LA for this festival!! I was too lazy to drive 5 min to Waikiki a few months ago.

Didn't get to spend much time there because of my damaged knee. When I first arrived about 1:45 pm, the food trucks had long lines, so I waited in a shorter line at Rutt's, but by then they ran out of a lot. Thought I would roam the booths before our 3 pm performance, but my knee was not cooperating. I sat off to the left of the stage with other members of my group waiting to go on, listening to the performers before us, which was very enjoyable. (glad I brought my own chair). We went on about 3:30 and played for about 35 minutes, very happy with it. Wanted to see Taimane but the knee couldn't take anymore so I had to leave. Hobbled past the vendor booths, but most where packing up.

I figure next year I should have no problem spending the entire day. Commendations to you Mitch, that's a very daunting endeavor, so many logistics to plan and execute. The turn out was very good from what I saw, I'm sure was helped by the segment on KTLA. Mahalo.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 9 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Just fantastic Mitch! Taimane Gardner's performance was mind blowing! Marlowe was sooooo awesome! She is a very special person. Check your FB messenger. I sent a link to my Dropbox with the audio recording from the KPFK show you did - if you want it for your archives. Loved Cali Rose's workshop. The uke I won is going to a charity! Next year I hope you can bring back all the performers and I hope you can get Louisa Hall and Daniel Ho to come too.

Last edited:
I'm so glad I flew over from Salt Lake City for this festival. I had a blast. The performers were all outstanding & I enjoyed the workshops. Taimane Gardner & Kris Fuchigami blew me away, and Aaron & Nicole's final crowd sing-along song brought a little tear to my eye. Strumming with Cynthia Lin, and singing with Nicole Keim were such treats. Thanks to Mitch and his chord progression workshop, I'll listen to songs with new ears now.

Big thumbs up to Delta Airlines for getting me & my mobility scooter back & forth from SLC to LA without a hitch. I had no trouble getting around the venue. I arrived back home late last night, tired but immensely happy & full of ukulele magic. Next time, I hope to be on my own two legs without a bad knee. I was bummed that I didn't connect with any UU folks, but there were just too many people at the festival to make that easy.

Hey, really glad you enjoyed the festival. It was special!

Never thought to bring my own chair. Chairs are always a premium outside the performance area. They make them now that fold rather small.

Never thought to bring my own chair. Chairs are always a premium outside the performance area. They make them now that fold rather small.
Yep, mine is from Amazon for $22, DLUX Small Folding Chair Extra Padded. It's very light, the back helps, and with a bum knee, I also use it as a cane.

Folding chair 2.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 9 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org

thank you for the comments! and BIG thank you to those that came from afar!

one disappointing thing that happened was I was informed that someone walked off with one of Ohana's loaner bass ukuleles after the workshop. that's a really shitty thing to do :( if anyone happens to know anything about this please let me know.

It was hectic at the end. Folks were handing loaners to Jennifer, others putting them in their cases in the back. And some folks brought their own. It’ll be hard to know what happened but not a nice thing to happen. Didn’t expect that to happen.

Thank you for the comments! and BIG thank you to those that came from afar! One disappointing thing that happened was I was informed that someone walked off with one of Ohana's loaner bass ukuleles after the workshop. that's a really shitty thing to do. If anyone happens to know anything about this please let me know.
That's a real shame. On a similar note, Cali Rose left her black Peak music stand on the stage when we finished our set and never went back for it. If anyone found it, please let me know.

yeah, unfortunately nothing was turned in to "lost and found". I don't see how anyone could just walk off mistakenly with something they know full well isn't theirs

It's unfortunate that these instances of theft happened but it may well be a reflection of our society. Would be much less likely in Japan or Singapore.

Top Bottom