2018 Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival

RIP Ray Masters aka Ukulele Ray - don't know what happened but it was apparently sudden and unexpected. He was so looking forward to playing in this year's festival (and we were looking forward to having him) but we will save a "spot" in our hearts for him.

I hope you can say a few words and a silent prayer for Ray at some point during the show. And mention his foundation (if it is still operating, of course).

I bought my plane tickets this week (Spirit had a 75% off sale) getting me from Minneapolis to LA and back on the same day for $113. I might have another friend joining me if we see the sale on airfare again.

Two quick observations to anyone coming the first time (I went last year). First, there is a wonderful raffle for prizes, so plan to bring some extra money for tickets. Mitch can probably speak to the cost per ticket, etc. I don’t remember seeing an ATM on site, and while I “Ubered” in last year, I don’t remember seeing much available in terms of walking distance from the venue.

Second, bring some snacks...I packed a lunch last year and was glad that I did—the main food vendor lines can get pretty long, and you might want to snack on something before/after/while you wait.

Mitch, thanks for all your organization of this event!

Thanks Choirguy, I really appreciate you making the trip out again!

2 FYIs:
1) I am considering renting an ATM for the day if that would be beneficial and convenient for attendees.
2) Will have two food vendors this year, one in Ken Miller serving deli sandwiches, panic, etc and one in Toyota Meeting Hall serving Hawaiian food + 2 food trucks in the front of the venue, Brewwings and Serendoggity, same as last year. Last year the caterer was a little short staffed and this will be remedied this time around. This should ensure everyone gets to eat when they want to eat!

I got my festival ticket last night. Now I have to figure out the best flight over & back. Thanks to Choirguy for the festival advice!

Hi - a few quick announcements:
- regrettably, John Atkins aka The Ukulele Teacher from Youtube won't be able to be a part of the festival this year. It's for a very good reason but I'll let him make that announcement when he's ready.
- the schedule will be adjusted accordingly so please be sure to check back the schedule page http://www.kalakoa.com/ukulele/schedule.html
- 2018 festival "Flea" t-shirts are available for order now through Sep 8: https://madeforuke.com/collections/los-angeles-international-ukulele-festival
- Cynthia Lin is hosting a "Uke Social" Sep 21 the night before the festival; limited space so if you're interested, please RSVP here while we prepare the ticket link: https://www.facebook.com/events/465251207218650/

Please be sure to sign up on the Kala Koa email list to stay up-to-date! www.kalakoa.com or www.losangelesukulelefestival.com

Hi Mitch. I have a few workshop questions. Ellen Ramirez workshop & Kris Fuchigami workshop - subject & level? Thanks. I'm super excited to attend.

There were long lines at lunch for sure. Plan on eating early or late to minimize your time in line.
The food we got from the Brew Wings truck was amazing, worth the wait.

Looks like work is going to preclude us from attending, which breaks my heart.
We had such a good time last year, and only live two miles away.
As I recall the Islander Ukulele vendor was selling instruments for very attractive prices. May have to swing by just for that.

We may be able to attend the dinner the night before. I really hope so as we already purchased the tickets. And we need to pick up my wife's new Cynthia Lin signature ukulele!

We got word of your upcoming Music Theory Class, see you there Mitch.

Last edited:
Raftergirl: Ellen is teaching a basic strumming workshop for confident beginners (those who know the basic chords and can easily change). Kris says his is for all levels: "We will be learning a song with various techniques built into the song. We will then learn to collaborate with other classmates with the song that we just learned. Its a class for all levels."

Maki66: so sorry to hear you'll miss it!! FYI there will be 2 food vendors on the inside this time + 2 food trucks on the outside + shave ice!

Mitch,

My only request for September—which I’m willing to state in a forum—is that instructors stick to their session material. Last year, you sent out session materials far in advance and asked people to make copies. I use an iPad so I had all the handouts, but others chose not to print them out ahead of time. As a result, every session I attended resulted in the instructor massively modifying their lesson because people didn’t have handouts.

Please note...this was the failure on the part of attendees/participants, not the festival—no copies were promised at any point.

The other suggestion I would make with just about a month to the event is that if copies are needed, perhaps they can be printed and sold to recuperate the cost? I use an iPad to avoid as much paper as possible, so I love PDFs. But people that need to have paper might be willing to pay $5 for a handout “packet.”

hey Choirguy, thanks for the feedback. I actually hadn't heard about anyone changing their lesson plan but in any case, I'll make sure there are printouts available as well as downloads.

Hi - actually, I won't be posting them online as a consideration for the artists. The packets will be available at the festival for $1

Thanks!

Mitch, I love the option to buy; however, can you make a download for those of us who use iPads and tablets? I’d still pay $1, gladly.

I'm so excited for this & marking off the days on the calendar. I messed up my "good" knee three weeks ago and had to miss a long awaited kayaking trip. The only thing that has kept my spirits up is playing my ukulele & knowing that I still have this festival to look forward to. I hope I get to meet some of my UU brothers & sisters there.

Choirguy.....do you usually use Uber from LAX? How long of a drive is it? Google maps says it's 10-12 miles from LAX to the Torrance Civic Center.

I wish there was a way we could tell who was who at the festival and be fun to see who from the UU is there. Raftergirl, wear a tophat. I'll be easy to spot. I'll be with a wheelchair (I should be able to walk and push the chair for most of the day).��

Top Bottom