Comparing Kala KA-SCG and KA-ACP-CTG

wherahiko

Reaction score
I'm looking for a concert-size uke, and am limited to those I can find here in New Zealand or are below the threshold for import tax (adding import tax and shipping can essentially double the cost of the instrument).

Essentially, that means for a solid-top instrument, the choice is between the KA-SCG (solid spruce top) and the KA-ACP-CTG (cedar top). The latter is considerably more expensive (both here, on HMS, and in Kala's pricing). Is there a reason for this? Is it just that cedar is a more expensive wood? I like the cedar uke; I haven't had a chance to try the spruce yet (it needs to be ordered in), but would probably go for the less expensive instrument if they are equal in all other terms other than the wood choice.

The cedar (bought locally) would cost NZ$425; the spruce (shipped from HMS, and therefore set up properly) would cost NZ$360 including shipping.

What would you suggest?

Generally speaking, cedar has a warmer tone than spruce, & yes, it is more expensive, but strings also play a part in the overall tone.

In your situation, it might be best to have a well set up uke take priority.

From my experience with Ohanas of identical scale, cedar is warmer and spruce is brighter. I'd always opt for a uke with good setup. If you take your chances and get one that's not set up properly you'll wind up paying someone to do it for you anyway.

Agree with the above. Set up is important. Take it from me, I have made that mistake before. The same Uke with a good set up could feel like an entirely different instrument to you. I have an Uke that went from almost unplayable to being one of my favorites just by correcting the set up. HMS, Mim's uke, uke republic, elderly all do an excellent set up job. Check with them about their international shipping rate.

In your situation, it might be best to have a well set up uke take priority.

I'd always opt for a uke with good setup. If you take your chances and get one that's not set up properly you'll wind up paying someone to do it for you anyway.

Agree with the above. Set up is important. Take it from me, I have made that mistake before. The same Uke with a good set up could feel like an entirely different instrument to you. I have an Uke that went from almost unplayable to being one of my favorites just by correcting the set up. HMS, Mim's uke, uke republic, elderly all do an excellent set up job. Check with them about their international shipping rate.

Thanks everyone for these tips about setup. And thansk, Lapyang, for the recommendations. Mim seems to have good shipping rates to NZ, so I've just written to her now.

I think the Cedar model has wood binding that adds to the cost. Out of the two models, I'd go with Cedar, both for tone and the added beauty of wooden binding.

I think the Cedar model has wood binding that adds to the cost. Out of the two models, I'd go with Cedar, both for tone and the added beauty of wooden binding.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks! The binding is indeed beautiful (though at this price point I'm not terribly concerned about cosmetics; I'd rather get a simpler-looking, good-sounding uke, and put any savings towards a high end uke in the future). For tone, are you comparing the cedar and spruce new? Is your comparison of these two models specifically? (I have indeed read many positive comments about this cedar model on these forums, so I wonder if the uke is actually a better uke than the spruce model from Kala.)

Last edited:
Kala KA-SCG or Ohana CK-16A? (was: Comparing Kala KA-SCG and KA-ACP-CTG)

UPDATE: after reading the above comments, and others elsewhere, about setup, I have decided to buy from Mim, especially since my local shop told me that "the Kalas don't need setup, because they are so good already"(!). Unfortunately, buying online rules out any ukes over $200 USD for me at the moment, as at that threshold import tax and duty will apply, adding another $100 USD to the cost.

So, I'm now looking at a comparison between the Kala KA-SCG and the Ohana CK-16A. Both are spruce-topped, laminate-back instruments; both are the same price. Does anyone have experience with both of these, and any suggestions? Right now I'm leaning towards the Ohana.

Last edited:
An update from Mim: "I do like the cedar a lot more. It is a better quality instrument and a better quality sound and definitely worth the money." Such a pity it's not feasible to have that one shipped from Mim to here, and that there are no dealers offering a good setup nearby!

Mim recommended the Kala cedar (tenor version) to me and I went for it, my go to gig uke now.

wherahiko, I had the tenor version of the Kala KA SCG, mine was KA STG. I played for a year and it kept getting better. I was amazed about the quality of the tenor for such a reasonable price. I later traded that for a more expensive Tenor. But I still think the Kala was quite impressive for something under $200.
I have not played this particular Ohana but I have had 2 Ohanas in the past and was very pleased with the brand's quality. If you cannot try one out first then just pick one that catches your eye more (it is also important for the player to like the look of the uke). I think you will not regret getting either one.

I wouldn't necessarily tie my buying decision to a limit set by an import tax treshold; sometimes, it's just worth to bite the bullet in order to being satisfied in the long run. If I remember correctly, you're a musician, so you will appreciate a well made instrument, whereas the sting of having paid customs will wear off quickly. In the long run, you might actually save some money by buying a satisfying instrument now and not having to upgrade later. Just my own take.

If you like the Kala Cedar top model, you might want to have a look at the Cordoba 24 series. They have a satin finish instead of gloss and a solid headstock instead of slotted and are therefore below $200 USD. Spalted Maple body instead of Acacia. Other than that, they are very similar: both have a solid Cedar top and a laminate body, wooden Padauk binding, Padauk rosette, and a bound fretboard. I wonder if they come from the same factory. Anyway, here is a nice demo video of the tenor version:

https://vimeo.com/244131065

Since Cordoba is a big guitar company with international distributor channels, I bet one of the local music stores in New Zealand would be able to order this model for you.

Last edited:
Thanks! Glad I saw this. If I can't find someone to trade my Kala KA-ATP-CTG for it's concert sized cousin, I may try this. Love that tenor, but it's just too big for me to play

Top Bottom