Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comparing Kala KA-SCG and KA-ACP-CTG

wherahiko, I had the tenor version of the Kala KA SCG, mine was KA STG. I played for a year and it kept getting better. I was amazed about the quality of the tenor for such a reasonable price. I later traded that for a more expensive Tenor. But I still think the Kala was quite impressive for something under $200.
    I have not played this particular Ohana but I have had 2 Ohanas in the past and was very pleased with the brand's quality. If you cannot try one out first then just pick one that catches your eye more (it is also important for the player to like the look of the uke). I think you will not regret getting either one.
    Tenor: Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

I wouldn't necessarily tie my buying decision to a limit set by an import tax treshold; sometimes, it's just worth to bite the bullet in order to being satisfied in the long run. If I remember correctly, you're a musician, so you will appreciate a well made instrument, whereas the sting of having paid customs will wear off quickly. In the long run, you might actually save some money by buying a satisfying instrument now and not having to upgrade later. Just my own take.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

If you like the Kala Cedar top model, you might want to have a look at the Cordoba 24 series. They have a satin finish instead of gloss and a solid headstock instead of slotted and are therefore below $200 USD. Spalted Maple body instead of Acacia. Other than that, they are very similar: both have a solid Cedar top and a laminate body, wooden Padauk binding, Padauk rosette, and a bound fretboard. I wonder if they come from the same factory. Anyway, here is a nice demo video of the tenor version:

https://vimeo.com/244131065

Since Cordoba is a big guitar company with international distributor channels, I bet one of the local music stores in New Zealand would be able to order this model for you.
    Last edited by Rakelele; 11-27-2017 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks! Glad I saw this. If I can't find someone to trade my Kala KA-ATP-CTG for it's concert sized cousin, I may try this. Love that tenor, but it's just too big for me to play

Thread Information