Thread: Fs: Pohaku concert ukulele

Default Fs: Pohaku concert ukulele

SOLD. This year, I've purchased (2) wonderful Pohaku ukuleles: a cedar-topped soprano and a cedar-topped concert with the intention of keeping just one. After much deliberation, I’ve decided to keep the soprano and let go of the concert. I’ve just bonded more to the soprano size.
    Description: This concert features beautiful woods and workmanship details throughout by Peter Hurney of Pohaku. And this ukulele has been well-cared for, as it has been kept in remarkably near-mint condition. No dents, scratches, blemishes, or nicks on its beautiful high-gloss nitro finish (see photos). Back-and-sides are Cuban mahogany; the soundboard is cedar. It has a deep curved back that gives it a full warm, bell-like sound—that has good sustain with good note clarity, surprising volume and no muddiness. Excellent for strumming, bit it really excels at fingerpicking. Peghed (4:1) planetary tuners with burl veneer (curly mahogany or koa?) on back of peg head and also at heal. Mother of pearl inlay fret markers—set off-center to act as side markers as well. Fretboard & bridge is Hawaiian milo wood. Nice wider fretboard is 37mm at nut; 48.5mm at body/neck join. 15-inch playing scale; 15 frets in total: 13 to body, 3 on a partially floating fretboard. Curly mahogany (or koa?) top binding. Simple gold/black/gold rosette. Nut and saddle appear to be rosewood. Currently strung with Worth Browns and Fremont Low G Soloist. Perfectly set up with no issues.

Images can be viewed here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UThuVKwdxhtNEqpg2

Fits snugly in deluxe textured ABS hard-shell case which is included. Has been kept humidified in this case in a smoke-free environment. Visit the Pohaku website for more information about his ukuleles: http://www.pohakuukulele.com
    SOLD $25 CONUS insured & tracked shipping. PayPal preferred. PM me with any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cogfasser; 11-05-2017 at 04:02 AM. Reason: sold
    Currently playing: Bruce & Sons tenor, Gibson Style 2 soprano (c.1920s)

Once upon a time: Brad Donaldson soprano, Kinnard walnut concert; Kamaka koa soprano; Pohaku cedar/Cuban mahogany soprano; Collings UC1; Martin Style 0 (c.1920s), Martin Style 2 (c.1940s), Brüko long neck soprano; Martin 1-T (c.1940s) Pohaku cedar/mahogany concert

Tried to pm you, but your inbox is full. Do you know when this was built? Thanks, Eddie
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Thanks Eddie! I just cleared some room in my inbox.

Once upon a time: Brad Donaldson soprano, Kinnard walnut concert; Kamaka koa soprano; Pohaku cedar/Cuban mahogany soprano; Collings UC1; Martin Style 0 (c.1920s), Martin Style 2 (c.1940s), Brüko long neck soprano; Martin 1-T (c.1940s) Pohaku cedar/mahogany concert

I'll buy it! Please send me PayPal information to my e-mail address:
    dana.c.reed@roadrunner.com
    Thanks!
    Dana Reed
    25 Underwood Way
    Windham, ME 04062
    ph: 207-653-6593

Sold. Thank you UU! Sorry Dana there was someone ahead of you.

No problem. I have two Pohakus. Your buyer got a great uke at a great price. Thanks!

Dana, per our PM, if I later sell (reasonably likely), I will reach out to you first.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Thanks, Ukulele Eddie! Once you get the uke, I'd be curious what your take is on a cedar top concert uke. I've never played a cedar top before and am wondering what the tonal qualities mind be like. If I were to venture a guess, a bit softer tone, and maybe quieter, than koa or mahogany topped ukes. I'd invite others reading this posted to submit their thoughts/reflections on cedar topped ukes. I'm more partial to loud and jangle-ly ukes. I lead a local uke group of about 30 and need something that will project over the other players. Mahalo!

As I planned when I gnabbed this, I'll be moving it along pretty quickly. I checked with Dana who has to pass due to college tuition demands, so if anyone is interested please PM me. I conditioned the fretboard but have not yet changed strings. It's currently set up Linear and will likely swap to re-entrant (but can keep it linear if somebody prefers). I'd like to get back what I paid which was $625 shipped (which means I'm only out shipping and strings to the new buyer).
    Last edited by Ukulele Eddie; 11-29-2017 at 10:50 AM.

This uke has been re-homed!

Thread Information