Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Tenor vs Blackbird Clara

Default Tiny Tenor vs Blackbird Clara

Can anyone speak to the sound similarities/differences between a solid wood Tiny Tenor and the Clara?

Thanks!

Totally different. I have a Clara and have played several examples of the tiny tenor. The Clara is loud. A tad boomy. The sound to me has a taint of too much echo that I had in my fluke or in an ovation guitar I used to have. That said the Clara is probably my favorite all around uke. The action is perfect. Intonation is spot on. I happen to prefer a concert neck.

Tiny tenors i’ve played varied a lot. Loud for the size but more like a typical solid wood uke. Of the several I’ve played I can’t remember a unique tiny tenor sound.

To me the Clara is more like a refined fluke. Tone is like a wooden uke with a pinch of fluke. For me I would take the Clara over almost any other uke for travel, playing out with groups and teaching. My second choice for all rounder is koaloha Opio concert - great sound and relatively inexpensive for replaceable. I think the upside of the tiny tenor is the tenor neck on the small body - and that has no appeal to me. Also
    big tonal difference between the mass produced tiny tenor and the more expensive custom builds.

Again just considering the sound the Clara and the tiny tenor are both decent ukes. But they are inherently very different.

Are you looking for a louder uke?
    I looked at both those as well before deciding on the Tiny Tenor. I needed a louder uke as I have started performing and my uke was not as audible as the others in my group.

Clara - very very loud. Not a pleasing tone to my ears but talented players can make it sound really good. Hard to destroy physically. Doesn't use endangered wood to create it. However, it is super obnoxious to sit next to someone playing one in a workshop where they keep playing poorly.

Tiny Tenor - i love mine. Beautiful tone. I have a solid wood one instead of a laminate. It is louder than most ukes the same size but not as loud as a Clara. In my limited and humble opinion, it isn't a good strumming uke. Great for more fingerstyle playing and picking.
    My current stable:

(Son of Snaggletooth) Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Spruce & Rosewood
    (Coco) Hanknn Koa Concert
    (Spruce Bringsteen) Burks Spruce Soprano
    (bootleg) aNueNue pineapple Concert
    (Toothless) IZ thinbody soprano w/ pickup

I'm not necessarily looking for a louder uke. Just trying to do research before buying my next one. I've only heard them on the web, and they both sound good to me - it's difficult to pick up subtleties from a web recording.

I like concert size, and I mainly fingerpick. Right now I have a Pono concert mahogany and a Walnut Flea with upgraded fretboard and tuners.

Thanks for the info!

Yes the Clara is very loud. I teach ukulele classes so the volume is useful for me. It’s also good for playing leads in a group where standing out is needed. I have had many ukes and used to buy and try a lot. The player is more important so long as the uke has good intonation and good action. This website feeds an unhealthy focus on the instruments. That’s the main reason I don’t hang around here that much anymore.

If you buy off the web there is a good chance you will be disappointed unless you have a really clear idea. A uke really doesn’t have its own sound. The sound is the uke being played by the player.

What's more important than volume is tone, you can have a loud ukulele with a brash...tone which may be undesirable to your ears
    Also every ukulele will
    have its own voice, even in the same brands and models, choose your ukulele wisely, use your ears and fingers, they will Tell you the right one for you. Personal preference is a big factor too, get a great setup too
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

I agree with Stan's recommendations. While I have not owned a Tiny Tenor, I have played several and also heard in person Daniel Ho playing a stock production model. All of the ones I've played or heard were set up Low G. They are impressive.

I have owned a Clara and am a big fan. It works well High G or Low G. Strings make a big difference on the tone. I had Aquila Reds on mine (this 3 years ago) and it sounded fantastic. Some people find the shape a bit awkward to hold, so it would be good to check one out in person. I think they are outstanding, very versatile instruments.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

I love the tiny tenor. One of the most comfortable uke to hold and the strings spacing is designed for finger style.
    I have never played a Clara but heard a lot of good things about it.
    Since these two instruments are not at the same price range, just wondering if this is a fair comparison?
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

Yep, they're definitely in different price ranges. I'm comparing them because from what I've seen and heard on the web, I like them both. For now, I'm concentrating on improving my playing, but in the spring (if I can hold out that long) I'll reward myself with a new uke.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by TobyDog View Post
    Yep, they're definitely in different price ranges. I'm comparing them because from what I've seen and heard on the web, I like them both. For now, I'm concentrating on improving my playing, but in the spring (if I can hold out that long) I'll reward myself with a new uke.

Thanks for the input everyone!
    I too have been thinking of waiting till spring to decide if I should get a Clara. Our climax is similar .
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

Thread Information