Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Tenor vs Blackbird Clara

But let me tell you if I had an additional $1K or so fall into my lap, I would spring for a Clara to take with me on rock climbing trips because of how brutal the environment is. I'm sure it could survive being pitched off a ledge. I was watching videos of their construction and they seem very strong.
    My current stable:

(Son of Snaggletooth) Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Spruce & Rosewood
    (Coco) Hanknn Koa Concert
    (Spruce Bringsteen) Burks Spruce Soprano
    (bootleg) aNueNue pineapple Concert
    (Toothless) IZ thinbody soprano w/ pickup

Kits - It's an easy decision for you because you already have a Tiny Tenor

I'm leaning towards the all mahogany TT today, luckily The Uke Site doesn't have any right now.

I don’t own either but have played both. I found the Clara to have a clear strong sound. A bit stronger than I care for. The Tiny Tenor had a sweeter sound but the different solid woods made a huge difference. The Koa gave me the best sound but they all sounded good. The Clara reminded me of a KoAloha in loudness. No humidity problems.

TobyDog, If you want a big sound (seems like you'll need it to play larger venues) go with the solid Koa Tiny Tenor. It is much louder than my solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor. Romero puts a reverse fan bracing with tapered ends in the Tiny Tenor. This, I believe, allows for a smoother and longer sustain. You can pound the Koa TT and it won't falter.

Default Tiny Tenor

I have the Tiny Tenor all solid Mahogany.
    I have not tried many other all solid Tenor ukulele.
    I just saw this brand and loved the look of it and bought it online without even trying it in person.
    I think the size for me is great and the tone amazing.
    I got the Hig version simply because Uke republic had a deal on it at the time.
    How does the Tiny Tenor compare with comparable solid wood Tenor ukuleles for volume and tone if anyone knows please.?.
    Is the volume good considering it’s Concert size, love to hear your opinions...

Great Thread. I have a TT - solid top that has surpassed my expectation. Excellent sound and build. I'm a tenor player, I wasn't sure I'd like the shape after having a FLUKE but I love it. The TT has effectively replaced my FLUKE. It will be going up for sale. Everything about TT I like. so much so , that I now want a TT in all solid wood. Thanks for recommendation on Koa. It will either be a KOA or perhaps a Spruce/Walnut. I'm taking my TT solid for 7 month tour of Australia. I figure , it plays goods, the case is light and protects uke well and its not a big investment. The humidity and elements I will be in had me thinking about a Clara. Perfect thread. As I'm tenor, I just email Blackbird to see if they would make a long neck Clara. I haven't heard back yet I do like the Farallon so on the fence between the two so the comments about PLAYING is important to me. Even going to a solid wood TT, I want to play a few. So far, all my Tenors (5 - still own 4) have been purchased on line from HMS. Dealer is everything. I will wait until AFTER my trip to get a new UKE. So, at some point I can let everyone know how a TT solid top fairs abroad. By the way, for concert players, there is the NEW RT Concert - by Romero Creations. Concert scale, tenor body, length of a soprano. I'd like to play one also. Good luck and post what you get.

Hi I was at Elderly Instruments in February. I had the privilege of trying the new Tiny Tenor AND a new Clara for about an hour.
    Please remember this is not a fair comparison because they are not in the same price range.
    While the Tiny Tenor projects a nice sound (it was a solid mahogany ) but I personally prefer the Clara because of the strings response and zero maintenance .
    I did not buy neither of these instruments because I already owned a few custom plus the Farallon. If I was to make a purchase that day, Clara would be my choice.
    I hope this new review helps !
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

I have a like-new spalted mango Tiny Tenor for sale for $550, shipped with a hard arch top case. Keeping my Clara. The mango tenor has a wonderful sound and so beautiful in person but I prefer my actual tenor-size tenors. Also I agree the TT is really great for picking.
    Pre-UAS: “1 uku is all I need.” Early-on-set UAS: “1 of each size is necessary.” Chronic UAS: Constant trolling of ukulele marketplaces, increasing number of “necessary” ukuleles as collection grows. Full blown UAS: Coworkers believe you have a problem, individual considers divorce over parting with any ukuleles, individual seriously considers dipping into retirement account to see what those Moore Bettahs and Beau Hannams are all about.

I've been reading such good things about the Tiny Tenors that I couldn't help myself when the most recent one came up for sale on the Marketplace. It happened to be all-mahogany, the one that most attracted me, the pictures were of a gorgeous example, it was in great barely used condition, and the price was decent. It arrived yesterday! I am very pleased at the attention to detail on this instrument, and such a nice sound in a small package. It is now becoming accustomed to fifths tuning. (Perhaps I am the only TT owner to play it this way - who knows?) I can't speak to its volume so much, because I play by myself and not in groups, but the tone is beautifully and smoothly elegant, well intonated, and it is very responsive and easy to play. A keeper, for sure. Not better or worse than my others, but a different and new voice to play with. It came with no strap buttons, and I'm not sure I want any. The TT is closer in shape to a mandolin or mandola (on which I never use straps) than a typical uke, on which I find them helpful due to their balance issues.

I primarily bought the TT to have something to travel with when need arises, and I only wish the case were a bit slimmer.. It's super light, but looks a bit "chunky", and is obviously meant to fit the laminate TT, which is deeper bodied, as well as the all-solid models I'm a bit paranoid, because after the last time I flew with an instrument, I said "never again!" It was a mandola, transported in my viola case, and the airline gave me grief on the way home, wanting me to check it, as they had overbooked the flight and were only allowing passengers one carry-on (is that really my problem?). I objected strenuously, and finally got to carry it on, but only after an hour of uncertainty and sweating. Anyway, I wish there were a more streamlined snug-fitting and hard case to fit this unusually shaped uke! Other than that, I love it!

(Somebody please stop me from clicking on ads, though - this is getting out of control!)

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    I've been reading such good things about the Tiny Tenors that I couldn't help myself when the most recent one came up for sale on the Marketplace. It happened to be all-mahogany, the one that most attracted me, the pictures were of a gorgeous example, it was in great barely used condition, and the price was decent. It arrived yesterday! I am very pleased at the attention to detail on this instrument, and such a nice sound in a small package. It is now becoming accustomed to fifths tuning. (Perhaps I am the only TT owner to play it this way - who knows?) I can't speak to its volume so much, because I play by myself and not in groups, but the tone is beautifully and smoothly elegant, well intonated, and it is very responsive and easy to play. A keeper, for sure. Not better or worse than my others, but a different and new voice to play with. It came with no strap buttons, and I'm not sure I want any. The TT is closer in shape to a mandolin or mandola (on which I never use straps) than a typical uke, on which I find them helpful due to their balance issues.

I primarily bought the TT to have something to travel with when need arises, and I only wish the case were a bit slimmer.. It's super light, but looks a bit "chunky", and is obviously meant to fit the laminate TT, which is deeper bodied, as well as the all-solid models I'm a bit paranoid, because after the last time I flew with an instrument, I said "never again!" It was a mandola, transported in my viola case, and the airline gave me grief on the way home, wanting me to check it, as they had overbooked the flight and were only allowing passengers one carry-on (is that really my problem?). I objected strenuously, and finally got to carry it on, but only after an hour of uncertainty and sweating. Anyway, I wish there were a more streamlined snug-fitting and hard case to fit this unusually shaped uke! Other than that, I love it!

(Somebody please stop me from clicking on ads, though - this is getting out of control!)

bratsche
    You might try looking at cases for pineapple concerts. Mine is in a Reunion Blues Continental, but I doubt that is any smaller than what you have. I'd be interested to hear what you learn.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Timms 1K soprano
    Kiwaya KS-5 soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

Thread Information