Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe a KLOS carbon fiber ukulele in the works?

Default Maybe a KLOS carbon fiber ukulele in the works?

There is a carbon fiber travel guitar made by a company called KLOS. It's a pretty neat and affordable option too. Well the company has a Ukulele page where they have posted:

"We listen......to what our customers want. If enough people express interest in a ukulele, then we'll begin prototyping and developing a carbon fiber ukulele to meet your needs!"

So, if you have any interest, stop by their web site and let them know.

https://www.klosguitars.com/ukulele

I just got an end of the year email from Klos Guitars, in which they mention "Looking forward to 2018, we have the carbon fiber ukulele coming out in late March". Considering that their base model carbon fiber travel guitar sells for $600, I'm hoping that their carbon fiber uke will sell for a similar price. Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    I just got an end of the year email from Klos Guitars, in which they mention "Looking forward to 2018, we have the carbon fiber ukulele coming out in late March". Considering that their base model carbon fiber travel guitar sells for $600, I'm hoping that their carbon fiber uke will sell for a similar price. Should be interesting.
    Hey Besley thanks so much for sharing this. I signed up to show my interest in a ukulele. If any other members are interested they are should sign up as well, obviously there is no obligation. As a point of interest click on the guitar header and watch the youtube review done by Tony Policastro. He is a high respected guitar player and reviewer, I have watched tons of his reviews and he tells it like it is. He liked it
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I still don't know what size they're considering, but I sure hope it's a tenor. And based on their carbon fiber guitars I'm pretty sure the neck and fretboard will probably still be wood.

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    I still don't know what size they're considering, but I sure hope it's a tenor. And based on their carbon fiber guitars I'm pretty sure the neck and fretboard will probably still be wood.
    To me, that would be a deal breaker. If I'm buying carbon fiber, I want the whole instrument to be carbon fiber. I've played on quite a few carbon fiber guitars over the years (Emerald, CA, Rainsong) and one of the original carbon fiber Blackbird tenors (I got to play on the road trip one that Michael had at MacNichol). The main reason for having one for me would be less maintenance and worry over humidity and temperature issues, durability in general. Emerald was my favorite design, by far, with the molded in bridge and overall comfort. Alistair's harp uke is surely more involved than a standard uke. It's interesting he has that in the lineup and not a regular uke. It seems a regular uke would sell more.
    That reminds me, the only exception to what I said above would be Emerald's wood veneer bonded with fiber tops that are just as durable apparently. I really like the look of those.

It'd make more sense to me if Klos did something with the wood like Orca is doing:
    http://www.orcaukuleles.com/
    Edit: Looks like he's considering carbon fiber in the necks now too...I missed that when I first skimmed the page.

All that said, I can be perfectly happy with the Outdoor Ukulele at a fraction of the cost. That's just me though. I know there is definitely a market for expensive carbon fiber instruments...I used to be an occasional buyer in that market myself.
    Last edited by jer; 01-01-2018 at 07:23 AM.

I'm thinking of buying a Carbon Fibre guitar by Composite. It's a few years old and the owner bought years ago when they were like 800.00. He's going to Hawaii in Feb and will give me first crack at it when he gets back. Has anyone played a guitar from Composite? He's a luthier and has set it up really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    To me, that would be a deal breaker. If I'm buying carbon fiber, I want the whole instrument to be carbon fiber. I've played on quite a few carbon fiber guitars over the years (Emerald, CA, Rainsong) and one of the original carbon fiber Blackbird tenors (I got to play on the road trip one that Michael had at MacNichol). The main reason for having one for me would be less maintenance and worry over humidity and temperature issues, durability in general. Emerald was my favorite design, by far, with the molded in bridge and overall comfort. Alistair's harp uke is surely more involved than a standard uke. It's interesting he has that in the lineup and not a regular uke. It seems a regular uke would sell more.
    That reminds me, the only exception to what I said above would be Emerald's wood veneer bonded with fiber tops that are just as durable apparently. I really like the look of those.

It'd make more sense to me if Klos did something with the wood like Orca is doing:
    http://www.orcaukuleles.com/
    Edit: Looks like he's considering carbon fiber in the necks now too...I missed that when I first skimmed the page.

All that said, I can be perfectly happy with the Outdoor Ukulele at a fraction of the cost. That's just me though. I know there is definitely a market for expensive carbon fiber instruments...I used to be an occasional buyer in that market myself.
    Well I hear you, and I agree all carbon fiber is the way to go. But I also think there's value to being able to develop it at such a low price as they currently do with their CF guitar that has a CF body but a traditional wood neck. I enjoy the worry free aspect of all carbon, but if the price is right I'm willing to make an exception for the neck, as it's easy to handle the effects of low humidity on the fret ends.
    Last edited by besley; 01-01-2018 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a Carbon Fibre guitar by Composite. It's a few years old and the owner bought years ago when they were like 800.00. He's going to Hawaii in Feb and will give me first crack at it when he gets back. Has anyone played a guitar from Composite? He's a luthier and has set it up really nice.
    You probably mean Composite Acoustics, also known as CA, formerly on its own, now bought out by Peavey. You should head over to the carbon fiber forum at the Acoustics Guitar site and ask the question there. But of course, they will want to know which model it is, and to see pictures and so forth. At that price it sounds as if it was the Cargo model, which is a really great guitar, IF you like the 22.75" scale length that is.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...splay.php?f=48

I tried a CA parlor a few times. It was pretty good, much better than i expected.

Adam

This popped up into my feed today. Maybe the ukulele version would make a better replacement for an iron.

https://youtu.be/4bCmBki6TsU
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Thread Information