Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Pegheads, advice wanted for old uke

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    st. paul, MN
    Posts
    565

    Default

    I continue to be puzzled that there doesn't seem to be a website that shows all the Peghed sizes for sale (seems like there should be four sizes: longer and shorter x 7.5 and 8.5 widths) specifically for ukes...
    Does Pokahu offer that short version of the 8.5 width shown in the Martin above?
    Tracie

    Island Koa Instruments, prototype soprano, Peter Howlett #153
    Weymann soprano, 1918
    Martin O, 1960's
    Kamaka white label sop (Tiki added!)
    Kiwaya KTS-7
    Lanikai SPS-S spruce top sop
    Anuenue Khaya I sop
    Kala Elite 1MHG Concert
    Kala Elite 1MHG Tenor SN

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    They look fantastic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    Here are a couple photos of the installation of the "short" version Pegheds into my 1960 Martin Style 1. Again, I love them and have had no issues with smoothness. In fact, I've had many of them on various Collings ukes and never had a complaint there either. As far as concerns over cost, I have seen them priced pretty high on retailers' sites, but I definitely never paid more than $55 - $60 a set through Crafted Cow, which is well in line with UPT's.

    -Steve


    Attachment 105187Attachment 105186

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Chester, VT
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukeinfused View Post
    I continue to be puzzled that there doesn't seem to be a website that shows all the Peghed sizes for sale (seems like there should be four sizes: longer and shorter x 7.5 and 8.5 widths) specifically for ukes...
    Does Pokahu offer that short version of the 8.5 width shown in the Martin above?
    That has puzzled me too - their site only shows violin pegs. Finding a dealer for ukuleles and banjos has been difficult, but not impossible. In this case I suggest contacting Pohaku. They are only in California.
    Kamaka pineapple soprano gold label - 1950s
    Kamaka custom soprano, gold label. 1960s?
    Kamaka tenor - 2002
    Koaloha Opio long neck soprano. 2016
    Mele, Braddah tenor 1990s
    Bruko #6 soprano, flat back, pre 1980
    Gretsch NYC - old and beat up camp ukulele - fixed up as a player.
    Luna tenor - laminate and to use as a loaner.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    st. paul, MN
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Pokahu's 8.5mm are 54mm.
    Are those the "shorts" or the "longs"??
    http://pohakushop.com/?product=peg-h...d-brand-tuners
    Ugh.
    Tracie

    Island Koa Instruments, prototype soprano, Peter Howlett #153
    Weymann soprano, 1918
    Martin O, 1960's
    Kamaka white label sop (Tiki added!)
    Kiwaya KTS-7
    Lanikai SPS-S spruce top sop
    Anuenue Khaya I sop
    Kala Elite 1MHG Concert
    Kala Elite 1MHG Tenor SN

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukeinfused View Post
    Pokahu's 8.5mm are 54mm.
    Are those the "shorts" or the "longs"??
    http://pohakushop.com/?product=peg-h...d-brand-tuners
    Ugh.
    They are the "longs," or what I would call "regular". The "short" Pegheds on my Martin are 46.4 mm.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Chester, VT
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Dear Ones,
    I went to the source and have several emails from Chuck Herin at Pegheds. He has a variety of Pegheds available. The standard ones are 7543U - these cost $12 each with plastic buttons 7.5mm shaft. There is an 8.5mm shaft model 8543U and these make food replacements where the hole in the headstock is larger. There may be some old Fluke models which are shorter. Anyway - Chuck is great to talk with and I suggest a call, 866 PEGHEDS. As to fitting these - I suggest the Pohaku video http://www.pohakuukulele.com/how-to-...peghead-tuners

    Best wishes to all - Ian
    Kamaka pineapple soprano gold label - 1950s
    Kamaka custom soprano, gold label. 1960s?
    Kamaka tenor - 2002
    Koaloha Opio long neck soprano. 2016
    Mele, Braddah tenor 1990s
    Bruko #6 soprano, flat back, pre 1980
    Gretsch NYC - old and beat up camp ukulele - fixed up as a player.
    Luna tenor - laminate and to use as a loaner.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Chester, VT
    Posts
    311

    Default

    PS - I purchased the last two Fluke sets. Chuck said this about the newer Fluke pegs "Fluke Ukuleles has exclusivity on the newest version of the peg."

    He also says that "Bill Thompson thecraftedcow@comcast.net has a very similar peg. He is a ukulele builder and player."

    The 7.5mm Pegheds (assembled in Mexico w/US parts) with plastic button is $12 . The USA made 7.5 and 8.5 are $16 each and up depending on the button material. These prices can change in a heartbeat - but these were the today prices.

    I am going to be happy with my older Fluke pegs!
    Kamaka pineapple soprano gold label - 1950s
    Kamaka custom soprano, gold label. 1960s?
    Kamaka tenor - 2002
    Koaloha Opio long neck soprano. 2016
    Mele, Braddah tenor 1990s
    Bruko #6 soprano, flat back, pre 1980
    Gretsch NYC - old and beat up camp ukulele - fixed up as a player.
    Luna tenor - laminate and to use as a loaner.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    WPB, FL
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    Here are a couple photos of the installation of the "short" version Pegheds into my 1960 Martin Style 1. Again, I love them and have had no issues with smoothness. In fact, I've had many of them on various Collings ukes and never had a complaint there either. As far as concerns over cost, I have seen them priced pretty high on retailers' sites, but I definitely never paid more than $55 - $60 a set through Crafted Cow, which is well in line with UPT's.

    -Steve


    Attachment 105187Attachment 105186
    Sorry for resurrecting such a old thread, but these look great!
    I've never seen pegheads on a uke this short before.
    Never really cared for the look of them because of how long they usually are, but if I could find some this size.
    After reading this I tried to find a place selling these exact ones, but not too easy.

    If anyone knows where to buy this size please post a link.
    Last edited by CommonCurt; 05-20-2019 at 09:56 PM.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

  9. #29

    Default

    I would just learn to work with the wooden tuners. I thought I'd have to replace the wooden tuners on a wartime Martin that I purchased, but after using them a few times, I have become good at working them and they hold tune great. If you are having any issues, you should bring your uke to a violin builder and they'll be able to work the pegs (if need be), or add some peg dope.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    WPB, FL
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milwaukee Matzen View Post
    I would just learn to work with the wooden tuners. I thought I'd have to replace the wooden tuners on a wartime Martin that I purchased, but after using them a few times, I have become good at working them and they hold tune great. If you are having any issues, you should bring your uke to a violin builder and they'll be able to work the pegs (if need be), or add some peg dope.
    Like the person I quoted I have a 1960's Martin that didn't originally come with wooden pegs.
    I just think the short pegheads in the picture look really good .

    I can't believe you don't see these short pegs being used more often.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •